    some exercises to practice those algorithms on, maybe simple, some
    problems and of course providing the answers as well.

    Regards.

    utab, May 7, 2006

  2. "utab" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    : I have been searching for an Algorithm book which groups common kinds
    : (such as: recursion is most useful in these kinds of problems, sth like
    : that ) of problems and explains them with example code. And including
    : some exercises to practice those algorithms on, maybe simple, some
    : problems and of course providing the answers as well.

    I started with Dr Knuth's series -- The Art of Computer Programming.
    Definitely top-knotch.

    Another popular (smaller) book is:
    Algorithms in C++ (R. Sedgwick), Ed., Addison-Wesley

    hth -Ivan

    Ivan Vecerina, May 7, 2006

  3. On Sun, 07 May 2006 03:12:55 -0700, utab wrote:

    > I have been searching for an Algorithm book which groups common kinds
    > (such as: recursion is most useful in these kinds of problems, sth like
    > that ) of problems and explains them with example code. And including some
    > exercises to practice those algorithms on, maybe simple, some problems and
    > of course providing the answers as well.

    I liked this one:

    http://mitpress.mit.edu/algorithms/

    --
    "Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
    good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats."

    Guybrush Threepwood, May 7, 2006
  4. utab

    Mark P Guest

    [OT] Re: Practical Algorithm Book, Exercises and Answers

    utab wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have been searching for an Algorithm book which groups common kinds
    > (such as: recursion is most useful in these kinds of problems, sth like
    > that ) of problems and explains them with example code. And including
    > some exercises to practice those algorithms on, maybe simple, some
    > problems and of course providing the answers as well.
    >
    > Regards.

    This would be more appropriate on comp.programming.

    I haven't used this book, but based on its title and description you
    might consider: "The Algorithm Design Manual" by Steven Skiena.

    Mark P, May 7, 2006
  5. utab

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    In article <1146996775.119819.313700
    @v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>,
    says...
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have been searching for an Algorithm book which groups common kinds
    > (such as: recursion is most useful in these kinds of problems, sth like
    > that ) of problems and explains them with example code. And including
    > some exercises to practice those algorithms on, maybe simple, some
    > problems and of course providing the answers as well.

    I'd recommend reading through this thread:

    http://tinyurl.com/ku2f7

    It's not terribly long, but still gives a couple of
    rather different viewpoints.

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.