pre-announce: Python 2.4a1 is about a month away

Discussion in 'Python' started by Anthony Baxter, May 31, 2004.

  1. This is a pre-announcement that the first alpha of Python 2.4
    is about a month away. The purpose of this notice is to give
    people a heads up - if you have a bug that you want to see
    fixed for 2.4, start looking at it now.

    Fixes are welcome through the release cycle, although after
    the first beta fixes that result in a change to behaviour
    will be much less likely to be accepted.

    So, if you have a bug you want to see fixed, what should you do?

    - If it's not logged on SF, log it.
    - If it's logged, consider adding a patch that fixes the problem,
    or at least a simple test case that demonstrates the bug.
    - If someone else has supplied a fix, see if this fix works for
    you, and post your results to the bug.
    - If there's a working fix, feel free to add a note asking for
    the fix to go into CVS. The SF bug tracker for Python has a
    _lot_ of bugs in it, and it's easy for bugs to be overlooked.

    If you're just interested in what's coming up in 2.4, see the
    current development version of the "What's New in 2.4" document
    at http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/whatsnew/whatsnew24.html

    On behalf of the python-dev team, thanks!
    Anthony

    [This form of pre-announcement will hopefully become a part of
    the release process for all future releases of Python, both
    major and bugfix releases, to give people a chance to get their
    bugfix-of-choice submitted in time. Any feedback on this process,
    please feel free to email me]
    --
    Anthony Baxter <>

    Anthony Baxter, May 31, 2004

  2. trivial patch for SimpleHTTPServer reporting wrong content-lengthfor text files

    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=839496&group_id=5470&atid=305470

    Is anybody using SimpleHTTPServer? It contains a special case for text
    files, that makes it open them in another way as other files. This
    causes the reported content-length to be unequal to the actual length
    of the request response data (which isn't correct, obviously).

    This trivial patch removes the special case from SimpleHTTPServer.

    Please review and/or make a vote for this patch; the current
    SimpleHTTPServer is unusable for text files...

    --Irmen de Jong.

    Irmen de Jong, May 31, 2004

  3. Will there be Function/class decorators in Python 2.4??

    Anthony Baxter wrote:
    > the first alpha of Python 2.4 is about a month away.

    Anyone know whether 2.4 will include function/class decorators?

    http://python.fyxm.net/peps/pep-0320.html - Python 2.4 Release Schedule
    http://python.fyxm.net/peps/pep-0318.html - Decorators for Functions,
    Methods and Classes
    http://shattered.teched.net/www.python.org/peps/pep-0318.html -
    Function/Method Decorator Syntax

    Basically, when I try to explain to other developers how you have to
    define a property or class method in Python, the general response is
    "why did they came up with that hare brained idea!?". I cannot find
    another answer then to say that the python developers in this case
    created the infrastructure but forgot the syntax. Whether or not that is
    the case, I think you can fairly argue that the present syntax goes
    against the grain of one of Python's core qualities: code clarity.

    Any thoughts or remarks?

    (Or am I missing something here? In the PEP 318 Guido van Rossum is
    stated to express "skepticism about the concept")

    Regards,

    Iwan

    Iwan van der Kleyn, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Anthony Baxter

    David Fraser Guest

    Re: Will there be Function/class decorators in Python 2.4??

    Iwan van der Kleyn wrote:
    > Anthony Baxter wrote:
    >
    >> the first alpha of Python 2.4 is about a month away.

    > Anyone know whether 2.4 will include function/class decorators?
    >
    > http://python.fyxm.net/peps/pep-0320.html - Python 2.4 Release Schedule
    > http://python.fyxm.net/peps/pep-0318.html - Decorators for Functions,
    > Methods and Classes
    > http://shattered.teched.net/www.python.org/peps/pep-0318.html -
    > Function/Method Decorator Syntax
    >
    > Basically, when I try to explain to other developers how you have to
    > define a property or class method in Python, the general response is
    > "why did they came up with that hare brained idea!?". I cannot find
    > another answer then to say that the python developers in this case
    > created the infrastructure but forgot the syntax. Whether or not that is
    > the case, I think you can fairly argue that the present syntax goes
    > against the grain of one of Python's core qualities: code clarity.
    >
    > Any thoughts or remarks?
    >
    > (Or am I missing something here? In the PEP 318 Guido van Rossum is
    > stated to express "skepticism about the concept")

    I think the concept of decorators is great, but I don't like the syntax:
    def foo(cls) using [synchronized(lock), classmethod]:
    pass

    What would be a really nice syntax that has the disadvantage of being
    totally insane, but seems much more logical / expressive to me:

    classmethod foo(cls):
    pass

    synchronized(lock) classmethod foo(cls):
    pass

    Or in a more standard way:

    def classmethod foo(cls):
    pass

    def synchronized(lock) classmethod foo(cls):
    pass

    Anyway the syntactic concept here is using the decorator as an
    adjective: define *this* kind of method. I think this represents the
    intent of the statement better than using [list of functions] does.

    Well there's been lots of discussion about this before and I'm not
    neccessarily adding much new but you asked :)

    David

    David Fraser, Jun 1, 2004