(pre)forking server framework?

czajnik

Hi!

I'm quite new to Python development. Can someone advise me a framework
useful for building (pre-)forking or threaded TCP servers, other than
SocketServer ? I've seen source code of a few python-based app servers,
all of theme seem to reinvent the wheel, eventually reusing
SocketServer. I'd appreciate a framework with logging, process/thread
pool, signal handling etc. Just plug-in a protocol implementation and
go !

Yes, I know Twisted, but asynchronous model is an overkill for me in
this particular project. I do not need high performance, simple forking
suites my needs better.

BR,
Przemek

Diez B. Roggisch

Hi!

I'm quite new to Python development. Can someone advise me a framework
useful for building (pre-)forking or threaded TCP servers, other than
SocketServer ? I've seen source code of a few python-based app servers,
all of theme seem to reinvent the wheel, eventually reusing
SocketServer. I'd appreciate a framework with logging, process/thread
pool, signal handling etc. Just plug-in a protocol implementation and
go !

Yes, I know Twisted, but asynchronous model is an overkill for me in
this particular project. I do not need high performance, simple forking
suites my needs better.

Why do you care if the asynchronous model is overkill or the performance is
good? Twisted comes close to what you want - and using its strength as
arguments against it strikes me as odd.

Diez

czajnik

Diez B. Roggisch napisal(a):
Why do you care if the asynchronous model is overkill or the performance is
good? Twisted comes close to what you want - and using its strength as
arguments against it strikes me as odd.

I was unclear :) I mean I don't like using asynchronous model for the
kind of job I have to do, as it's more complicated I think. Simple
blocking synchronous communication, with one process per connection is
all I need. Also this is going to be a kind of system management
software, and forking has other advantages to me. Maybe I'll give
Twisted a chance, need to spend some time experimenting with it.

BR,
Przemek

Thomas Guettler

Am Mon, 12 Jun 2006 06:22:52 -0700 schrieb czajnik:
Hi!

I'm quite new to Python development. Can someone advise me a framework
useful for building (pre-)forking or threaded TCP servers, other than
SocketServer ? I've seen source code of a few python-based app servers,
all of theme seem to reinvent the wheel, eventually reusing
SocketServer. I'd appreciate a framework with logging, process/thread
pool, signal handling etc. Just plug-in a protocol implementation and
go !

quixote has an scgi server which uses pre-forking worker processes.

http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/

HTH,
Thomas