    How can I see pre-entered initial values in the functional
    simulation?

    serkan
    Serkan, Jun 25, 2009

  2. Serkan wrote:

    > I am using Xilinx ISE 9.1.i and Modelsim XE 6.2C
    > I am generating a dpram_32k using Core Generator.
    > All I can see is 0s (zero) at the output.
    > How can I see pre-entered initial values in the functional
    > simulation?

    I would have the testbench write to the ram and read it back.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Jun 25, 2009

  3. Serkan

    Serkan Guest

    Re: pre-initialized dpram functional simulation

    On Jun 26, 12:31 am, Mike Treseler <> wrote:
    > Serkan wrote:
    >
    > >   I am using Xilinx ISE 9.1.i and Modelsim XE 6.2C
    > >   I am generating a dpram_32k using Core Generator.
    > >   All I can see is 0s (zero) at the output.
    > >   How can I see pre-entered initial values in the functional
    > > simulation?

    > I would have the testbench write to the ram and read it back.
    >
    >       -- Mike Treseler

    It takes two much time to simulate using that method.
    Is not there any way to do it without the testbench writing the
    values?
    Serkan, Jun 26, 2009
  4. Serkan

    Tricky Guest

    On 26 June, 06:35, Serkan <> wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 12:31 am, Mike Treseler <> wrote:
    >
    > > Serkan wrote:

    > > >   I am using Xilinx ISE 9.1.i and Modelsim XE 6.2C
    > > >   I am generating a dpram_32k using Core Generator.
    > > >   All I can see is 0s (zero) at the output.
    > > >   How can I see pre-entered initial values in the functional
    > > > simulation?

    > > I would have the testbench write to the ram and read it back.

    > >       -- Mike Treseler

    >  It takes two much time to simulate using that method.
    >  Is not there any way to do it without the testbench writing the
    > values?

    Welcome to the world of VHDL simulation.

    You could just write an initialisation function to read the values
    from a text file.
    Tricky, Jun 26, 2009
  5. Serkan

    On 26 Haziran, 10:25, Tricky <> wrote:
    > On 26 June, 06:35, Serkan <> wrote:

    > > > I would have the testbench write to the ram and read it back.

    > > >       -- Mike Treseler

    > >  It takes two much time to simulate using that method.
    > >  Is not there any way to do it without the testbench writing the
    > > values?

    > Welcome to the world of VHDL simulation.
    >
    > You could just write an initialisation function to read the values
    > from a text file.

    any guide or link?.
    Serkan, Jun 26, 2009
  6. Serkan

    HT-Lab Guest

    "Serkan" <> wrote in message
    On 26 Haziran, 10:25, Tricky <> wrote:
    > On 26 June, 06:35, Serkan <> wrote:

    > > > I would have the testbench write to the ram and read it back.

    > > > -- Mike Treseler

    > > It takes two much time to simulate using that method.
    > > Is not there any way to do it without the testbench writing the
    > > values?

    > Welcome to the world of VHDL simulation.
    >
    > You could just write an initialisation function to read the values
    > from a text file.
    >

    >any guide or link?.

    Can't you pre-load it with an MIF file?

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com
    HT-Lab, Jun 26, 2009
  7. Serkan

    On 26 Haziran, 12:21, "HT-Lab" <> wrote:
    > "Serkan" <> wrote in message

    > On 26 Haziran, 10:25, Tricky <> wrote:

    > > > It takes two much time to simulate using that method.
    > > > Is not there any way to do it without the testbench writing the
    > > > values?

    > > Welcome to the world of VHDL simulation.

    > > You could just write an initialisation function to read the values
    > > from a text file.

    > >any guide or link?.

    > Can't you pre-load it with an MIF file?
    >
    > Hanswww.ht-lab.com

    I tried using a mif file but all I can see is zeros at the output when
    I do functional simulation.
    But if I do timing simulation then I can see correct data values.
    Very strange I must admit.
    Serkan, Jun 26, 2009
  8. Serkan

    HT-Lab Guest

    "Serkan" <> wrote in message
    > On 26 Haziran, 12:21, "HT-Lab" <> wrote:
    >> "Serkan" <> wrote in message

    >> > You could just write an initialisation function to read the values
    >> > from a text file.

    >> >any guide or link?.

    >> Can't you pre-load it with an MIF file?
    >>
    >> Hanswww.ht-lab.com

    > I tried using a mif file but all I can see is zeros at the output when
    > I do functional simulation.
    > But if I do timing simulation then I can see correct data values.
    > Very strange I must admit.

    Looks like a timing or delta-delay issue.

    Have a look in the manual to see how to use the list window.

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com
    HT-Lab, Jun 26, 2009
  9. Serkan

    On 26 Haziran, 14:18, "HT-Lab" <> wrote:
    > "Serkan" <> wrote in message

    > > On 26 Haziran, 12:21, "HT-Lab" <> wrote:
    > >> "Serkan" <> wrote in message

    > ..

    > >> Can't you pre-load it with an MIF file?

    > >> Hanswww.ht-lab.com

    > > I tried using a mif file but all I can see is zeros at the output when
    > > I do functional simulation.
    > > But if I do timing simulation then I can see correct data values.
    > > Very strange I must admit.

    > Looks like a timing or delta-delay issue.
    >
    > Have a look in the manual to see how to use the list window.
    >
    > Hanswww.ht-lab.com

    It is not related to timing or delta delay issue :)
    Searched other forums. People are wining about the same problem.
    I even saw other Mike Treseler posts.
    Some say, a modelsim bug. If I manage to do it, I will post the
    solution.

    thank you all for your answers.
    Serkan, Jun 26, 2009
  10. Re: pre-initialized dpram functional simulation

    Serkan wrote:

    > It takes two much time to simulate using that method.
    > Is not there any way to do it without the testbench writing the
    > values?

    Is your intent to test the ram design?
    Finding the init data does not prove
    that the ram works.