pre-initialized dpram functional simulation

Serkan

I am using Xilinx ISE 9.1.i and Modelsim XE 6.2C
I am generating a dpram_32k using Core Generator.
All I can see is 0s (zero) at the output.
How can I see pre-entered initial values in the functional
simulation?

serkan

Mike Treseler

Serkan said:
I am using Xilinx ISE 9.1.i and Modelsim XE 6.2C
I am generating a dpram_32k using Core Generator.
All I can see is 0s (zero) at the output.
How can I see pre-entered initial values in the functional
simulation?

I would have the testbench write to the ram and read it back.

-- Mike Treseler

Serkan

I would have the testbench write to the ram and read it back.

      -- Mike Treseler

It takes two much time to simulate using that method.
Is not there any way to do it without the testbench writing the
values?

Tricky

 It takes two much time to simulate using that method.
 Is not there any way to do it without the testbench writing the
values?

Welcome to the world of VHDL simulation.

You could just write an initialisation function to read the values
from a text file.

Serkan

Can't you pre-load it with an MIF file?

Hanswww.ht-lab.com

I tried using a mif file but all I can see is zeros at the output when
I do functional simulation.
But if I do timing simulation then I can see correct data values.
Very strange I must admit.

HT-Lab

Serkan said:
I tried using a mif file but all I can see is zeros at the output when
I do functional simulation.
But if I do timing simulation then I can see correct data values.
Very strange I must admit.
Looks like a timing or delta-delay issue.

Have a look in the manual to see how to use the list window.

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

Serkan

Looks like a timing or delta-delay issue.

Have a look in the manual to see how to use the list window.

Hanswww.ht-lab.com

It is not related to timing or delta delay issue :)
Searched other forums. People are wining about the same problem.
I even saw other Mike Treseler posts.
Some say, a modelsim bug. If I manage to do it, I will post the
solution.

thank you all for your answers.

Mike Treseler

Serkan said:
It takes two much time to simulate using that method.
Is not there any way to do it without the testbench writing the
values?

Is your intent to test the ram design?
Finding the init data does not prove
that the ram works.