pre-Ruby-Conf dinner Thursday night

Francis Hwang

Hey everyone,

RubyConf starts on Friday morning, but a lot of us will be in town the
night before. So, on Thursday night, four of the Ruby-NYC folks will be
getting together for dinner. If you're in town and want to tag along,
please feel free! We're nice people. Well, the three other guys are,
anyway.

We'll meet in the lobby of the Lafayette Hotel (that's the conference
hotel) at around 9 p.m. If you want to know who you're looking for,
take a look at either
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyConf2005Facebook#Francis_Hwang or
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyConf2005Facebook#Matt_Pelletier . We
do not have pictures for Gianni and Jason, particularly because Gianni
is such a shy, retiring flower.

As a side note, are there any San Diego natives who can give us
tourists a few tips on good bars, restaurants, etc. in San Diego?
Especially places close to the hotel. Such tips would be much
appreciated.

f.

Gregory Brown

Count me in. I actually wanted to hunt you down anyway because though
I live in New Haven and run a group at the University of New Haven up
here, I'm in NYC 2 or 3 days a week and was wondering if I could attend
some of your meetings.

See you on Thursday!

-Greg

Devin Mullins

Francis said:
As a side note, are there any San Diego natives who can give us
tourists a few tips on good bars, restaurants, etc. in San Diego?
Especially places close to the hotel. Such tips would be much
appreciated.
=20
_why seems to see something special in the Ch=E9 Caf=E9. Touristy things=20
suggest the Gaslamp District. College students frequent bars in La=20
Jolla, apparently.

I may or may not be able to attend. Timing is of the essence.=20
Specifically, I arrive in the evening, and my hotel is the T&C, so I'm=20
not sure if I'd be able to unload and skedaddle to the Lafayette by then.

Devin
Does that phrase make any sense to you? "Of the essence"? What essence?=20
And how is something "of" it? I suppose it'd make more sense if you=20
dropped the "of," and just had, "Timing is the essence... of... uh...=20
whatever I was talking about."

James Britt

Francis said:
Hey everyone,

RubyConf starts on Friday morning, but a lot of us will be in town the
night before. So, on Thursday night, four of the Ruby-NYC folks will be
getting together for dinner. If you're in town and want to tag along,
please feel free! We're nice people. Well, the three other guys are,
anyway.

We'll meet in the lobby of the Lafayette Hotel (that's the conference
hotel) at around 9 p.m. If you want to know who you're looking for,
take a look at either
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyConf2005Facebook#Francis_Hwang or
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyConf2005Facebook#Matt_Pelletier . We
do not have pictures for Gianni and Jason, particularly because Gianni
is such a shy, retiring flower.

Sounds good.
As a side note, are there any San Diego natives who can give us
tourists a few tips on good bars, restaurants, etc. in San Diego?
Especially places close to the hotel. Such tips would be much
appreciated.

In particular, any recs on good vegetarian places?

James, grass eater.

Brian Mitchell

[...]

Sounds fun, though, we might have too many takers for one group (all
190+ rubyists). Count me in as interested.

Brian.

Adam Keys

RubyConf starts on Friday morning, but a lot of us will be in town the
night before. So, on Thursday night, four of the Ruby-NYC folks
will be
getting together for dinner. If you're in town and want to tag along,
please feel free! We're nice people. Well, the three other guys are,
anyway.

We'll meet in the lobby of the Lafayette Hotel (that's the conference
hotel) at around 9 p.m. If you want to know who you're looking for,
take a look at either
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyConf2005Facebook#Francis_Hwang or
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?
RubyConf2005Facebook#Matt_Pelletier . We
do not have pictures for Gianni and Jason, particularly because Gianni
is such a shy, retiring flower.

I'm planning on attending. (You can see my lovely mug in the
Facebook.) Just to make sure we're thinking this through, are the
non-PSTers aware that Texans will be eating at 11 PM and New Yorkers
will be eating at midnight? Just a thought...

While I'm hijacking the thread, is anyone planning or wanting to
participate in a hackfest or code sprint? I'd heard there might be a
Rails sprint, but that was a while back.

Hal Fulton

Adam said:
I'm planning on attending. (You can see my lovely mug in the
Facebook.) Just to make sure we're thinking this through, are the
non-PSTers aware that Texans will be eating at 11 PM and New Yorkers
will be eating at midnight? Just a thought...

While we're there, we're all Californians. My system has never been
used to regular hours anyway.

I'll try to make it, but I'll be late. My plane arrives at 8:30,
so I hope to be in my room by 9:15 and thence to dinner. It's fun
saying "thence" once in a while.
While I'm hijacking the thread, is anyone planning or wanting to
participate in a hackfest or code sprint? I'd heard there might be a
Rails sprint, but that was a while back.

I'd love to participate in a hackfest of some sort. I'm not sure what
a code sprint is, but it sounds painful.

Hal

Adam Keys

I'd love to participate in a hackfest of some sort. I'm not sure what
a code sprint is, but it sounds painful.

From what I've gathered in reading PyCon summaries, Sprints are
focused sessions where people try to get a bunch done on a project
and/or get up to speed. So for RubyConf, we could do Sprints on
writing MouseHole user scripts and/or improving the Mousehole core.
That's just an example that popped into my mind. No reason said
sprints can't revolve around Gems, Rails, Nitro, Og, rake, etc.

If you balk at structure, then a hackfest is probably a better way to
go. Either way, I suppose we can just commandeer a hall or hotel
room for our purposes.

Ideas, input anyone?

James Britt

Adam said:
From what I've gathered in reading PyCon summaries, Sprints are
focused sessions where people try to get a bunch done on a project
and/or get up to speed. So for RubyConf, we could do Sprints on
writing MouseHole user scripts and/or improving the Mousehole core.
That's just an example that popped into my mind. No reason said
sprints can't revolve around Gems, Rails, Nitro, Og, rake, etc.

I'm interested in getting my head around Mousehole.

If George has the new release of Og/Nitro ready, that's a candidate for
me, too.

James

Devin Mullins

Adam said:
While I'm hijacking the thread, is anyone planning or wanting to
participate in a hackfest or code sprint? I'd heard there might be a
Rails sprint, but that was a while back.

Sure. Never done one before, so, you know, I might suck, but sure.

I've even got an idea for a MouseHole script I'd love to implement.

Devin

Gregory Brown

Adam said:
I'm planning on attending. (You can see my lovely mug in the
Facebook.) Just to make sure we're thinking this through, are the
non-PSTers aware that Texans will be eating at 11 PM and New Yorkers
will be eating at midnight? Just a thought...

Since when is a problem for New Yorkers to eat at Midnight?
I'm just a regular visitor of the city, and even us Connecticut folk
are happy to start the night around 11 or 12 :)
While I'm hijacking the thread, is anyone planning or wanting to
participate in a hackfest or code sprint? I'd heard there might be a
Rails sprint, but that was a while back.

I'm going to be rounding out Ruport 0.2.0 while at the conference, so
anyone who wants to show me how much better they could do than me, or
suggest some last minute features, or just learn how to use the system,
they're welcome to do so late one night. Anyone interested can contact
me directly or on the list.

I'd love to do a Mousehole or Rails sprint / hackfest though, too :)

Adam Keys

Sure. Never done one before, so, you know, I might suck, but sure.

I've even got an idea for a MouseHole script I'd love to implement.

Awesome! I'm really pumped others are interested in this. I've
created a Backpack page where we can coordinate this. If ya'll would
prefer to keep it on list here or move it to the RubyGarden wiki, my
feelings would not be hurt.

The Backpack URL is http://therealadam.backpackit.com/pub/273365.
Let me know if you would an invite to edit it.

James Britt

Adam said:
Awesome! I'm really pumped others are interested in this. I've
created a Backpack page where we can coordinate this. If ya'll would
prefer to keep it on list here or move it to the RubyGarden wiki, my
feelings would not be hurt.

The Backpack URL is http://therealadam.backpackit.com/pub/273365. Let
me know if you would an invite to edit it.

Well, the wiki page doesn't require invites, making it a bit more open
and convenient.

But I've some Mousehole ideas to play with.

James

Adam Keys

Well, the wiki page doesn't require invites, making it a bit more
open and convenient.

But I've some Mousehole ideas to play with.

Tell it to the wiki! http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?
RubyConf2005Hackfest

Please, don't hesitate to throw your two cents in on this page.[1]
I've added myself to a list of interested participants at the
bottom. Add yourself there as well.

[1] Unless your two cents have something to do with gambling or large
sums of money you'd like to put in someone else's back account.

Edward O'Connor

In particular, any recs on good vegetarian places?

If you don't mind the cultish aspects to it, Jyoti-Bihanga on Adams Ave.
in Normal Heights is all-vegetarian, tasty stuff. About a 40min walk
from the hotel, or a 5min drive.

Ted

Edward O'Connor

As a side note, are there any San Diego natives who can give us
tourists a few tips on good bars, restaurants, etc. in San Diego?
Especially places close to the hotel. Such tips would be much
appreciated.

There are a bunch of good food options right near the hotel. On El Cajon
Blvd, within a few blocks:

* Dao Sun is a good Japanese/Vietnamese noodle shop.
* Harar serves yummy Eithiopian food
* Pomegranate is really yummy (though pricey) Russian / Georgian food

Within ~20min walking distance, your options increase rapidly.
Personally, I think it would be a crime if you came to San Diego and
didn't try Mama Testa's taco shop on University Ave., just a few blocks
away from the hotel. Easily the best Mexican food you'll find.

On a related note: I live right around the corner, and was going to
swing by this weekend to see if there's any possibilty of paying
at-the-door (due to people not showing up or whatever). When I went to
register things were already full-up. If not, I'm definitely up for
getting together with people.

Ted

Timothy Byrd

We'll meet in the lobby of the Lafayette Hotel (that's
the conference hotel) at around 9 p.m. If you want
to know who you're looking for, take a look at either

Though I can't come to the conference - in class all day Saturday - I'd
like to meet up with some Rubyists. If I drive down from LA, will a
non-conferencer be welcome?

-- Timothy

Hal Fulton

Timothy said:
Though I can't come to the conference - in class all day Saturday - I'd
like to meet up with some Rubyists. If I drive down from LA, will a
non-conferencer be welcome?

Assuming you didn't try to sneak into the conf or anything, I'm sure
you'd be welcome. ;)

Hal

Wilson Bilkovich

Assuming you didn't try to sneak into the conf or anything, I'm sure
you'd be welcome. ;)
We'll have to remember to check for authorized barcode tattoos at the door.