Pre Santa Barbara mailing available

CBFalconer

santosh said:
Do you mean Pre Santa Clara?

Will these be included in C1x? I hope not.

I have copies here of several C standards and drafts. I observe:

Identity. Pages Size Date (here)
N869.pdf 586 1.4 mB 1999-Jan
N1336.pdf 556 3.8 mB 2008-Aug

and offhand I see no reason for this large size expansion.
Comments?

Incidentally N869_txt.bz2 (bzip2 compressed) is 212k, and available
on my page. No later version has been delivered in text form.
This is the most easily handled version.

Keld Jørn Simonsen

Den Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:54:42 +0530 skrev santosh:
Do you mean Pre Santa Clara?
Yes.

Will these be included in C1x? I hope not.

It is not the intention to put N1337 into N1336.

best regards
keld

Richard Bos

=?iso-8859-1?q?Keld_J=F8rn?= Simonsen said:
Den Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:54:42 +0530 skrev santosh:

It is not the intention to put N1337 into N1336.

Let us, at the very least, hope that it is not the intention to put
3l337 into the next C Standard...

Richard

Keith Thompson

CBFalconer said:
I have copies here of several C standards and drafts. I observe:

Identity. Pages Size Date (here)
N869.pdf 586 1.4 mB 1999-Jan
N1336.pdf 556 3.8 mB 2008-Aug

and offhand I see no reason for this large size expansion.
Comments?

Incidentally N869_txt.bz2 (bzip2 compressed) is 212k, and available
on my page. No later version has been delivered in text form.
This is the most easily handled version.

For most purposes, I personally find the pdf versions to be easier to
handle than a plain-text veresion. For example, given a modern PDF
viewer and a sufficiently large screen, I can have a complete
navigatable table of contents on the left side of the screen and the
current page on the right side.

And N869_txt.bz2 has the disadvantage that (a) it's out of date, and
(b) it's missing some formatting (particularly italics) that's
semantically significant.

Keith Thompson

Richard Heathfield said:
Keith Thompson said:

It's "leetspeke" for "elite". He's poking a little harmless fun, that's
all.

Sorry, I thought it was a typo.

santosh

CBFalconer said:
I have copies here of several C standards and drafts. I observe:

Identity. Pages Size Date (here)
N869.pdf 586 1.4 mB 1999-Jan
N1336.pdf 556 3.8 mB 2008-Aug

and offhand I see no reason for this large size expansion.
Comments?

I notice that n1336.pdf has "Fast Web View" enabled and includes three
additional fonts than n869.pdf. The embedded table of contents is also
missing in the latter, though it's rather surprising that all these
differences account for 2.4 Mb. Other than this, I have no idea why
their sizes should vary so greatly.
Incidentally N869_txt.bz2 (bzip2 compressed) is 212k, and available
on my page. No later version has been delivered in text form.
This is the most easily handled version.

How does this manage to represent all the math formulae and special
symbols in plain text?

CBFalconer

Keith said:
.... snip ...

And N869_txt.bz2 has the disadvantage that (a) it's out of date,
and (b) it's missing some formatting (particularly italics)
that's semantically significant.

That observation has already been made several times. However, my
query was about the relative sizes of N869.pdf and N1336.pdf, in
view of their line counts. My purpose in mentioning n869.txt was
to illustrate the size advantages of the text format. Tactical
error.

CBFalconer

santosh said:
CBFalconer wrote:
.... snip ...

How does this manage to represent all the math formulae and special
symbols in plain text?

Not perfect, but adequate for most purposes.

lawrence.jones

CBFalconer said:
I have copies here of several C standards and drafts. I observe:

Identity. Pages Size Date (here)
N869.pdf 586 1.4 mB 1999-Jan
N1336.pdf 556 3.8 mB 2008-Aug

and offhand I see no reason for this large size expansion.
Comments?

The major contributor seems to be that I started using Ghostscript to
produce the PDF file rather than Adobe Acrobat Distiller. Perhaps I
should upgrade my ancient version of gs....

lawrence.jones

santosh said:
How does this manage to represent all the math formulae and special
symbols in plain text?

Very badly, which is why I stopped producing text versions of the standard.