Pre-standardizing hash_map & friends.

Discussion in 'C++' started by Jacek Generowicz, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. Within our family of projects, we are looking to provide a recommended
    practice guideline, concerning hashed containers, which would help
    developers using different compilers, to write portable code.

    We are primarily interested in

    gcc 3.2
    MSVC++ 6/7.0/7.1 (?)
    icc
    gcc 2.95

    in approximately descending order of importance.

    IIUC ...

    - there are three widely used STL implementations which inculde
    hashed containers as extensions: Dinkumware, Metrowerks and
    SGI. All three agree on the names hash_set, hash_map, hash_multiset
    and hash_multimap, and provide very similar interfaces.

    - gcc provides hashed containers in an extension, based on the SGI
    implementation.

    - MSVC++ also provides an extension (in earlier versions this was
    based on the HP (now SGI) implementation). Recently it moved from
    the std namespace to stdext.

    Firstly, I'd welcome any factual corrections to the above.

    Secondly, I would like to ask for suggestions as to what standard
    practice would be sensible to adopt.

    For example:

    - Use native extensions; they are all similar or similar enough.

    - Provide the SGI implementation for everyone's use. (In what
    namespace?)

    Tempting though it might be to anticipate the interface proposed to
    the standards committee (unordered_* replacing hash_*), such a
    suggestion will be rejected on the grounds that it will break too much
    code today, for a (not entirely certain) payback too far in the
    future.

    Thanks,
    Jacek Generowicz, Aug 26, 2003