precompile

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?Y2hheg==?=, Sep 13, 2006.

  1. Hi,
    I've a couple questions regarding in-place pre-compiling .
    As I understand it from ms documentation - precompiling a site in place
    effectively performs the same compilation that occurs when users request
    pages from your site. Therefore, the primary performance improvement is that
    pages do not have to be compiled for the first request.
    On the server where the web site has freshly been installed I issue the
    command
    aspnet_compiler -v /MyWebsite
    What I get back is an error :

    error ASPCONFIG: The CodeDom provider type
    "Microsoft.VJSharp.VJSharpCodeProvide
    r, VJSharpCodeProvider, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7
    f11d50a3a" could not be located

    And nothing gets precompiled .

    Q1) How does the site get compiled normally by asp.net as pages are accessed
    if this codedom provider is missing ?
    Q2 ) what are (if any) the differences between precompile and what is
    "effectively the same compilation when a user access a page" ?
    Q3) what are the performance differences between the two if any?

    Thanks
    Chaz

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hheg==?=, Sep 13, 2006

  2. Hi Chaz,

    Let's deal with the error first.

    One possible cause is you didn't have VJ# redist package installed. The
    type "Microsoft.VJSharp.VJSharpCodeProvider" should be located at
    %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\VJSharpCodeProvider.DLL; also
    there should have a subfolder named "Microsoft Visual J# 2.0
    Redistributable Package."

    Do you have installed both 32-bit and 64-bit CLR? Make sure the version
    you're using have installed VJ# redist package correctly.

    By design, aspnet_compiler.exe will try to load all CodeProvider specified
    in machine.config (or machine.config.comments). If the webform is compiled
    on the first time, only the specified code provider will be used. I think
    this answers your first question Q1.

    ======

    By default, each public resource of an ASP.NET site is compiled on the fly
    only upon its first request. This introduces a first-hit delay as a result
    of the compilation process. Site precompilation brings a double benefit: no
    delay for requests because of compilation and no need of deploying source
    code to the Web server. Precompilation comes in two forms, each targeting a
    specific scenario: in-place and deploy precompilation. The former prepares
    all the resources in a site to be served without delay. It generates all
    needed dynamic assemblies for all pages and resources that need be
    compiled. In-place precompilation occurs on an already deployed
    application. It generates a site layout made only of assemblies that can be
    packaged and deployed to a production machine. This form of precompilation
    occurs on a development machine and is suited for out-of-box sites that,
    like classic Windows executable files, are not subject to dynamic changes.

    In-place precompilation is merely a form of performance improvement.
    Precompilation ensures that each page is accessed and each required dynamic
    assembly is created.

    In-place precompilation is analogous to manually requesting all the pages
    on the site to make sure all the code is compiled.

    Sincerely,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    promptly.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Sep 14, 2006

  3. Hi Walt,
    The server doesn't have the re-distribution package installed. Where do I
    get this ? Do you have a download link that works, the only one I found
    wasn't available for download anymore ..

    Thanks,
    chaz

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hheg==?=, Sep 14, 2006
  4. Hi chaz,

    I may have made some mistake in my previous reply. The aspnet_compiler.exe
    will not load all Code Provider on startup; it only loads specific Code
    Provider when you specified according language in your WebForm.

    The VJ# redist package is not included in .NET Framework; it's a separate
    package which can be downloaded here:

    #Download details: Microsoft Visual J# Version 2.0 Redistributable Package
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=F72C74B3-ED0E-4AF8-
    AE63-2F0E42501BE1&displaylang=en

    I've done some test: using a clean Win2003 setup, install .NET 2.0
    Framework, then copy a website which only use C# languages. When I run
    aspnet_compiler.exe to precompile it, it works correctly. If I create a new
    webform which is using J# as its language, aspnet_compiler.exe reports the
    error as you're seeing. So I think the J# Code Provider is only loaded when
    you have WebForm which is using J# as its language.

    Please reply here to let me know whether or not you need further
    information. Thank you.

    Regards,

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Sep 15, 2006
  5. Hi Walt,
    I liked your first answer better ! We cannot determin where the dependancy
    for visual J is coming in at . We use c# and vb.net , our web.config doesn't
    specify it.
    What tools are available to help us figure this out ?

    thanks,
    chaz

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hheg==?=, Sep 15, 2006
  6. Hi chaz,

    What I meant in my last reply is: based on my research, if the
    aspnet_compiler.exe tries to load VJ# Code Provider, it must because your
    website is using some webform that is authored using VJ# language.

    However, since you claimed that your website is only using C# and VB.NET,
    my findings may not 100% correct. Would you please help me do a simple test
    to verify this:

    1) Create a simple virtual directory in IIS and copy a simple WebForm which
    is using C# or VB.NET as its language;
    2) Try to precompile it using aspnet_compiler.exe and see if it reports the
    error about VJ# Code Provider

    If it reports the error, then aspnet_compiler.exe is using some other
    configuration that I current not aware of. If it doesn't, then your
    production web site might have some web form which is using VJ# language;
    you may have to find it by search for "VJ#" in all your *.aspx files.

    Please reply to let me know the result. If it proves the former case, I
    will do more research on the internal works of aspnet_compiler.exe. Thank

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Sep 18, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Y2hheg==?=

    aravindkrp

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    in-place precompiling //not creating precompiled files for the aspx under a subfolder

    Hi,

    I have quick query regarding the same discussion. I am trying to precompile a 2.0 web application which is already deployed. When I goto the ASP.NET Temporary Files to check the precompiled files, I can't see some of the files under the subfolders getting precompiled. Could you please let me know the reason for this behavior?

    Appreciate your support in this regard.

    Thanks,
    Aravind

    aravindkrp, Jun 29, 2009