Precompiled DLLs not getting creating from setup

Guest

Hi,
I m using VS .NET 2003 to create a website. Using the setup package I create
a setup as well.

But this setup has files with actual code in it & not pre-compiled DLLs.
Please let me know what needs to be done to ensure that DLLs are produced &
not code files.
Note: BOTH 'codebehind' & 'SRC' attribute has been used.

Juan T. Llibre

VS 2003 creates a single-dll with all your compiled code.

With VS 2003, you don't need to upload your code-behind files.
Only your aspx files and any other files you require ( images/user controls, etc ).

re:
!> Please let me know what needs to be done to ensure that DLLs are produced & not code files.
!> Note: BOTH 'codebehind' & 'SRC' attribute has been used.

Get rid of your SRC attribute and only use code-behind or assemblies compiled from the command-line.
As long as you use SRC, the source files will need to be uploaded.

Guest

"Get rid of your SRC attribute and only use code-behind or assemblies
compiled from the command-line. As long as you use SRC, the source files will
need to be uploaded."

Actually SRC attribute has been used because i m using user controls (.ASCX)
files in my ASPX files. i don't think i can remove the SRC attribute.
Also, while preparing the setup (using SETUP WIZARD), there is an option of
including source files as well. If i uncheck this option, then only some DLLs
are created in the setup, not a single aspx page is created in the setup.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Actually SRC attribute has been used because i m using user controls (.ASCX)
!> files in my ASPX files. i don't think i can remove the SRC attribute.

Please review this MSDN article on the ASP.NET Compilation Tool :

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms229863(VS.80).aspx

It will help you understand what happens a bit more.

Pay close attention to the table included in the "Compiling an Application for Deployment" section,
which details the file types and what the compiler does to each of them.

Basically, when the -u option is included :

Static file types are copied to the target location, with their relative places in the directory structure preserved.

..ascx, .aspx, and .master files are split into markup and source code, which includes code-behind files.

Source code is compiled into assemblies, with names that are derived from a hashing algorithm,
and the assemblies are placed in the Bin directory.

New files with the same name as the source files are created to
contain the markup and placed in the corresponding output directories.

When the -u option is omitted, there's different behavior:

..ascx files are split into markup and source code.

Source code is compiled into assemblies and placed in the Bin directory,
with names that are derived from a hashing algorithm. No markup files are generated.

Read the article to see which option is best for you.
You do *not* have to include source files when you pre-compile an application.

All you need to do is pre-compile your application and copy
the compilation's results from the target directory to your server.

You do *not* copy any of your original files; only the results of the compilation.