Precompiling or Securing Code

Guest

Hello,

I have an ASP.Net 1.1 application that I need to move to a production server
on a customer's network. I do not want the customer to have access to any
code.

It looks like VS2003 does not allow for precompiling code like you can do
with VS2005 and 2.0. Is this correct? If so, is there any way to encrypt or
hide the code so that my customer cannot access it?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

ASP.NET 1.1 is compiled, ASP.NET 2.0 is not, unless you precompile.

The code is byte code, however, which means you have to obfuscate the DLL to
have protection. THe more code you pull into libraries, the better off you
are.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Gregory's input.

Hi ArchSG,

Yes, you are right. As for ASP.NET 1.1/VS 2003, it does not support
complete precompilation (compile both aspx and code-behind into assembly).
For ASP.NET 1.1/VS 2003 application, we can only precompile all the
codebehind classes or other separate classes in the same project into a
main assembly. However, those .aspx and .ascx template will still need to
be dynamically compiled at runtime.

Therefore, the recommendation for ASP.NET 1.1 web applications which do not
want to expose code logic or Intelligent Property, is try best to avoid
putting any server-side code in ASPX template file. Only control markup and
databinding expression should be existing in aspx/ascx template.

Please feel free to post here if you have any further questions for
anything else we can help.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead