    write code for? Which has the most code examples using Classic ASP?

    Thanks for the help!
    ~Joe
    jp2code, Oct 22, 2007

  2. jp2code wrote:
    > The provider I host my website on gives me three options when it
    > comes to databases:
    >
    > 1. Microsoft Access
    > 2. MySQL
    > 3. MSSQL
    >
    > I have used Access in the past, and it is adequate for the minor
    > database work I plan on doing.
    >
    > However, I would like to learn some quality skills, just in case a
    > client wants to hire me to do some database work one day.
    >
    > Which database would be the best to learn? What are the strengths of
    > one verses the other? What are their weaknesses? Which one is the
    > simplest to write code for? Which has the most code examples using
    > Classic ASP?

    I have never seen online examples for using ASP with MySQL. Of course, I
    have never looked at their website either ...

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Oct 22, 2007

  3. jp2code

    jp2code Guest

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
    > I have never seen online examples for using ASP with MySQL. Of course, I
    > have never looked at their website either ...

    So MSSQL is the preferred database?

    My host allows me 10 MySQL databases, but only one MSSQL database.

    I can't see any need for more than one database (as long as I can house as
    many tables that I need), so I don't see any plus to having 10 databases in
    one format verses one database in the other format with more tables.

    How would I start with one of these databases? I can tell my host to create
    a database and give it a name, but then I need to add tables, then items,
    and eventually relationships.

    Doing all of this with code I create in a webpage seems cumbersome. Will one
    of these databases allow me to create, input and modify my data on my PC for
    uploading to my host? That was what I did with Access in the past, but I
    don't know how to create/open a database on my PC through MySQL or MSSQL.

    I'd like to know what the strong parts are to each database before I get
    started. After that, my next question will be:
    How do I get started with one of these databases? How do I create it on my
    PC? How do I get to the database's interface? Etc.
    jp2code, Oct 22, 2007
  4. jp2code wrote:
    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
    >> I have never seen online examples for using ASP with MySQL. Of
    >> course, I have never looked at their website either ...

    > So MSSQL is the preferred database?

    No, its' MY preferred database. I do intranet applications so it suits
    my purposes well. That does not mean it will be YOUR preferred database.

    > My host allows me 10 MySQL databases, but only one MSSQL database.
    >
    > I can't see any need for more than one database (as long as I can
    > house as many tables that I need), so I don't see any plus to having
    > 10 databases in one format verses one database in the other format
    > with more tables.
    >
    > How would I start with one of these databases? I can tell my host to
    > create a database and give it a name, but then I need to add tables,
    > then items, and eventually relationships.
    >
    > Doing all of this with code I create in a webpage seems cumbersome.
    > Will one of these databases allow me to create, input and modify my
    > data on my PC for uploading to my host? That was what I did with
    > Access in the past, but I don't know how to create/open a database on
    > my PC through MySQL or MSSQL.
    >
    > I'd like to know what the strong parts are to each database before I
    > get started. After that, my next question will be:
    > How do I get started with one of these databases? How do I create it
    > on my PC? How do I get to the database's interface? Etc.

    Start with this:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2442

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Oct 22, 2007
  5. jp2code wrote:
    > How would I start with one of these databases? I can tell my host to
    > create a database and give it a name, but then I need to add tables,
    > then items, and eventually relationships.

    This may also be useful as well:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2214
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Oct 22, 2007
  6. jp2code

    jp2code Guest

    Thanks Mr. Barrows. You have answered my question.

    If I have other questions about databases, I will ask them in another
    thread.

    jp2code, Oct 22, 2007
  7. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "jp2code" <poojo.com/mail>
    writing in news::

    > The provider I host my website on gives me three options when it comes
    > to databases:
    >
    > 1. Microsoft Access
    > 2. MySQL
    > 3. MSSQL
    >
    > I have used Access in the past, and it is adequate for the minor
    > database work I plan on doing.
    >
    > However, I would like to learn some quality skills, just in case a
    > client wants to hire me to do some database work one day.
    >
    > Which database would be the best to learn? What are the strengths of
    > one verses the other? What are their weaknesses? Which one is the
    > simplest to write code for? Which has the most code examples using
    > Classic ASP?
    >
    > Thanks for the help!
    > ~Joe

    A lot of hosts will offer only MySQL or access. If you're ever going to
    get into PHP, that comes almost only with MySQL.

    The coding differences between MySQL and MSSQL are few, but important.
    For example, date() in ASP produces MM-DD-YYYY, and MySQL stores dates
    as YYYY-MM-DD. I just created a function to swap it around. MSSQL uses
    AUTOINCREMENT and MySQL uses AUTO_INCREMENT. There are other
    differences, but for the most part, MySQL is pretty much the same.

    Personally, I like MySQL better and MSSQL. If you have Access tables,
    MySQL has a nice conversion tool, and there are some nice GUI
    applications for MySQL as well, HeidiSQL comes to mind.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Oct 23, 2007
  8. jp2code

    Evertjan. Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote on 23 okt 2007 in

    > The coding differences between MySQL and MSSQL are few, but important.
    > For example, date() in ASP produces MM-DD-YYYY, and MySQL stores dates
    > as YYYY-MM-DD.

    All these database engines store date/time in some internal format,
    inconsequential to the programmer. [except for the resolution]

    ASP dos not produce any format, as it is just a platform.

    ASP vbscript date-to-string conversion,
    and ASP jscript date-to-string conversion,
    convert a date/time value to a string,
    depending on the operating system's regional settings.

    So
    vbscript date() does not produce this MM-DD-YYYY format,
    it just returns the date/time value in internal format.

    The date-to-string conversion,
    as used by response.write() because it needs a string as parameter,
    does that on your machine with your regional settings.

    For entering a date/time by way of a SQL string,
    it is important to know what the SQL engine accepts as data/time strings,
    I would hope all engines accept YYYY-MM-DD and YYYY/MM/DD.

    The error prone MM-DD-YYYY should not even be considered as SQL input
    by any serious programmer.

    =====================

    So under Jet/Access, ASP/vbscript:

    myDate = #2007-10-23#
    sql = "... [date] = #" & myDate & "#;"

    would involve the peculiarities of the regional settings,
    introduced by the date-to-string conversion,
    that could(!) be inconsistent with the Jet engine,

    while this would not:

    myDate = "2007-10-23"
    sql = "... [date] = #" & myDate & "#;"

    [Bob will correct me where I am wrong]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Oct 23, 2007
  9. Evertjan. wrote:
    > [Bob will correct me where I am wrong]

    No corrections needed, just a little additional info:

    VBSCRIPT stores a datetime value as a Double number, with the whole number
    portion representing the number of days since the seed date (I can't
    remember OTOH what that date is, maybe 1899-12-31, maybe 1900-01-01 - it
    doesn't really matter) and the decimal portion representing the time of day:
    ..0 = midnight, .5 = noon. As Evertjian says, implicit conversions to string
    use the regional settings of the user under whose context the script is
    running (in ASP, that may likely be the IUSR_machinename account).

    As for passing date values to a database engine, format issues can be
    avoided by using parameters rather than dynamic sql.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Oct 23, 2007