preformat works one day, gone the next

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Laurence Smith, Sep 3, 2008.

  1. Hi,

    I maintain a webpage for a strat-o-matic baseball league.
    I use the freeware program Kompozer (version 0.7.10) to construct the
    page.

    When there is an interesting game I like to post the boxscore for other
    members to view. I copy the boxscore from the game program and paste
    it into Kompozer using Preformat as the tag.
    It then looks fine on the program's browser.
    I FTP it up to the web and then view the program using Opera or IE.
    Looks fine.

    The next day I may make routine changes to the webpage but not touching
    the part of the page with the boxscore. Then lo and behold, both on
    the webpage and on the local program the preformat has broken down and
    the text runs together.

    Any ideas on why that happens and, more importantly, what's the cure?

    --
    Larry Smith

    "My kind of loyalty was loyalty to one's country, not to its
    institutions or its office-holders."
    Mark Twain
    Laurence Smith, Sep 3, 2008

  2. Laurence Smith wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I maintain a webpage for a strat-o-matic baseball league.
    > I use the freeware program Kompozer (version 0.7.10) to construct the
    > page.
    >
    > When there is an interesting game I like to post the boxscore for other
    > members to view. I copy the boxscore from the game program and paste
    > it into Kompozer using Preformat as the tag.
    > It then looks fine on the program's browser.
    > I FTP it up to the web and then view the program using Opera or IE.
    > Looks fine.
    >
    > The next day I may make routine changes to the webpage but not touching
    > the part of the page with the boxscore. Then lo and behold, both on
    > the webpage and on the local program the preformat has broken down and
    > the text runs together.
    >
    > Any ideas on why that happens and, more importantly, what's the cure?

    URL?

    Maybe you are breaking the syntax when you paste the next section. *ALL*
    WYSIWYG editors are far from perfect and are not a substitute for
    knowing what you are doing, especially when re-editing existing work.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 3, 2008

  3. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Laurence Smith wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I maintain a webpage for a strat-o-matic baseball league.
    > > I use the freeware program Kompozer (version 0.7.10) to construct
    > > the page.
    > >
    > > When there is an interesting game I like to post the boxscore for
    > > other members to view. I copy the boxscore from the game program
    > > and paste it into Kompozer using Preformat as the tag.
    > > It then looks fine on the program's browser.
    > > I FTP it up to the web and then view the program using Opera or IE.
    > > Looks fine.
    > >
    > > The next day I may make routine changes to the webpage but not
    > > touching the part of the page with the boxscore. Then lo and
    > > behold, both on the webpage and on the local program the preformat
    > > has broken down and the text runs together.
    > >
    > > Any ideas on why that happens and, more importantly, what's the
    > > cure?
    > >

    > URL?
    >
    > Maybe you are breaking the syntax when you paste the next section.
    > ALL WYSIWYG editors are far from perfect and are not a substitute for
    > knowing what you are doing, especially when re-editing existing work.

    Here's the URL.

    http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeryq2g/cbl.htm

    When you scroll down to the section I call WHAT A GAME you'll see the
    preformatted section that has broken down.

    Thanks.

    Laurence Smith, Sep 3, 2008
  4. Laurence Smith wrote:

    [...]
    >>> I copy the boxscore from the game program
    >>> and paste it into Kompozer using Preformat as the tag.

    [...]
    > http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeryq2g/cbl.htm

    Strange... where did this come from:
    then? And the markup is very messy - you would need to work hard to make
    Kompozer spit it out... such as

    Moreover, the page is overly long, with mixed ingredients.

    I don't think it makes sense to fix it. It's much easier to redesign the
    site. Create a simple main page with links to different pages containing
    different parts of the content.

    > When you scroll down to the section I call WHAT A GAME you'll see the
    > preformatted section that has broken down.

    No, it's not obvious at all what is wrong. It seems that your preformatted
    text has a very long line. How could _we_ know where it came from?

    Yucca
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 3, 2008
  5. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Laurence Smith wrote:
    > > Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > And what is the format of the copied material?
    >
    > How are you applying the <pre> tag to the pasted text?
    >
    > How are you pasting the copied data? In the "Normal" window or the
    > "Source" window?

    > Hmm. I'd look in Kompozer's - Tools - Options screen. Pasting into
    > Kompozer can do different things to code depending on the options on
    > that screen. And it may happen to existing code that you don't even
    > edit, that is, as you describe.
    >

    > > > URL?
    > > >
    > > > Maybe you are breaking the syntax when you paste the next section.
    > > > ALL WYSIWYG editors are far from perfect and are not a substitute
    > > > for knowing what you are doing, especially when re-editing
    > > > existing work.

    > > Here's the URL.
    > >
    > > http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeryq2g/cbl.htm
    > >
    > > When you scroll down to the section I call WHAT A GAME you'll see
    > > the preformatted section that has broken down.

    > BTW, as I look at the source of the URL your starting <pre> tag seems
    > to be missing.
    >
    > Also, what should the display look like? I have no idea what I'm
    > looking at so what's wrong with it?

    Line 1856 says:
    pre style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Courier New';"

    I assume that's the <pre> tag.

    What the display should look like is a typical boxscore of a baseball
    game as you'd see in a newspaper with the AB R H RBI AVG all in neat
    columns.

    Laurence Smith, Sep 3, 2008
  6. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Laurence Smith wrote:
    > > Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > And what is the format of the copied material?
    >
    > How are you applying the <pre> tag to the pasted text?
    >
    > How are you pasting the copied data? In the "Normal" window or the
    > "Source" window?

    > Hmm. I'd look in Kompozer's - Tools - Options screen. Pasting into
    > Kompozer can do different things to code depending on the options on
    > that screen. And it may happen to existing code that you don't even
    > edit, that is, as you describe.
    >

    > > > URL?
    > > >
    > > > Maybe you are breaking the syntax when you paste the next section.
    > > > ALL WYSIWYG editors are far from perfect and are not a substitute
    > > > for knowing what you are doing, especially when re-editing
    > > > existing work.

    > > Here's the URL.
    > >
    > > http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeryq2g/cbl.htm
    > >
    > > When you scroll down to the section I call WHAT A GAME you'll see
    > > the preformatted section that has broken down.

    > BTW, as I look at the source of the URL your starting <pre> tag seems
    > to be missing.
    >
    > Also, what should the display look like? I have no idea what I'm
    > looking at so what's wrong with it?

    What I did today (Tuesday, about 5:35pm eastern time) was to delete the
    code and reinsert it from the PRT file that the Strat-O-Matic Computer
    Game generates.
    The <pre> tag is on line 1855 and the </pre> tag is at 1920.

    Right now the page displays exactly as I want it to.

    The problem is that when I next update the page the preformatted info
    will not stay in a column but rather will run together.

    But at least if you look at the source and the page you'll what it is
    supposed to look like.

    Thanks again for the help.

    Laurence Smith, Sep 3, 2008
  7. Laurence Smith wrote:

    > Line 1856 says:
    > pre style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Courier New';"
    >
    > I assume that's the <pre> tag.
    >
    > What the display should look like is a typical boxscore of a baseball
    > game as you'd see in a newspaper with the AB R H RBI AVG all in neat
    > columns.

    Rows and column data, eh? Hmmm let me take a stab at it:

    a *table* maybe?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 4, 2008
  8. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Laurence Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Line 1856 says:
    >> pre style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Courier New';"
    >>
    >> I assume that's the <pre> tag.
    >>
    >> What the display should look like is a typical boxscore of a baseball
    >> game as you'd see in a newspaper with the AB R H RBI AVG all in neat
    >> columns.

    > Rows and column data, eh? Hmmm let me take a stab at it:
    >
    > a *table* maybe?

    GOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL!!! :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 4, 2008
  9. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> Laurence Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> Line 1856 says:
    >>> pre style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Courier New';"
    >>>
    >>> I assume that's the <pre> tag.
    >>>
    >>> What the display should look like is a typical boxscore of a baseball
    >>> game as you'd see in a newspaper with the AB R H RBI AVG all in neat
    >>> columns.

    >> Rows and column data, eh? Hmmm let me take a stab at it:
    >>
    >> a *table* maybe?

    > GOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL!!! :)

    Woot-woot!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 4, 2008
  10. While the city slept, Blinky the Shark feverishly typed:

    > GOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL!!! :)

    Erm... Wrong game ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss | http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Email not valid. - take the dog out!
    nice.guy.nige, Sep 4, 2008
  11. nice.guy.nige wrote:

    > While the city slept, Blinky the Shark feverishly typed:
    >
    >> GOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL!!! :)

    > Erm... Wrong game ;-)

    HOME RUN!!!

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 4, 2008
  12. Laurence Smith

    Peter J Ross Guest

    Peter J Ross, Sep 4, 2008
  13. Peter J Ross wrote:

    > In alt.html on Thu, 04 Sep 2008 13:46:09 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> nice.guy.nige wrote:
    >>
    >>> While the city slept, Blinky the Shark feverishly typed:

    >>> Erm... Wrong game ;-)

    >> HOME RUN!!!

    > Nice *try*, but will it be *converted*?

    The kick for the extra point will decide that.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 5, 2008
  14. While the city slept, Blinky the Shark feverishly typed:

    > Peter J Ross wrote:
    >
    >> In alt.html on Thu, 04 Sep 2008 13:46:09 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> HOME RUN!!!

    >> Nice *try*, but will it be *converted*?

    > The kick for the extra point will decide that.

    I don't even know what game we're playing anymore... :-S

    Cheers,
    Nige

    nice.guy.nige, Sep 5, 2008
  15. nice.guy.nige wrote:

    > While the city slept, Blinky the Shark feverishly typed:
    >
    >> Peter J Ross wrote:

    >>> Nice *try*, but will it be *converted*?

    >> The kick for the extra point will decide that.

    > I don't even know what game we're playing anymore... :-S

    Just hit the birdie when it comes your way.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 5, 2008