preload jar applet problem?

Discussion in 'Java' started by pcouas, Aug 10, 2007.

  1. pcouas

    pcouas Guest

    pcouas, Aug 10, 2007

  2. pcouas wrote:
    >I have some problem to preload an 367ko

    Is that 376 Kilobytes? I am unfamiliar with the abbreviation 'ko'.

    >...applet into Java6 Cache.
    >I have tested Qloader applet from
    >http://www.java-tips.org/java-se-tips/java.applet/have-an-applet-launch-another-applet.html

    It seems fairly standard. I note that it does not 'swallow'
    exceptions, but reports them to the console.

    What is the URL of your test applet?

    What browser (make and version) are you testing with?

    >Without best results. Sometmes Jar is preloaded, sometimes no ??

    Are there errors listed in the Java console?
    (Note also that one '?' is enough.)

    >I am in France and Customer website is in Turkish
    >Do you have an idea ?

    Start by answering the questions above (particularly the
    URL of the applet).

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 10, 2007

  3. pcouas

    Lew Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > pcouas wrote:
    >> I have some problem to preload an 367ko

    > Is that 376 Kilobytes? I am unfamiliar with the abbreviation 'ko'.

    Europeans (and others, I guess) call "bytes" "octets", thus "ko" is
    "kilo-octets".

    Strictly speaking, the "k" for "kilo" should be in lower case, as the OP
    showed it. Binary prefixes, OTOH, are upper-cased: "KiB" for "kibibyte"
    ("KiO"?) where "kibi" stands for a multiplier of 2^10 (1024).

    If it makes a yoctojot of difference:
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix>

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Aug 10, 2007
  4. Lew wrote:
    > Europeans (and others, I guess) call "bytes" "octets", thus "ko" is
    > "kilo-octets".

    AFAIK only the French speaking people (not the Europeans in general) say
    "octets".

    --
    Thomas

    Thomas Fritsch, Aug 10, 2007
  5. Lew wrote:
    >>> I have some problem to preload an 367ko

    >> Is that 376 Kilobytes? I am unfamiliar with the abbreviation 'ko'.

    >Europeans (and others, I guess) call "bytes" "octets", thus "ko" is
    >"kilo-octets".

    Makes sense.

    >Strictly speaking, the "k" for "kilo" should be in lower case,

    >If it makes a yoctojot ...

    ..yoctojot? Cool word, what's it mean?
    Are you demonstrating superior knowledge of obscure
    words, or simply 'waxing Shakespearian'*?

    * Inventing words..

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 10, 2007
  6. pcouas

    Lew Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > ..yoctojot? Cool word, what's it mean?
    > Are you demonstrating superior knowledge of obscure
    > words, or simply 'waxing Shakespearian'*?
    >
    > * Inventing words..

    Both. It's a coinage using the prefix "yocto-" that is explained in the
    referenced Wikipedia entry (restored from your over-enthusiastic snippage); in
    other words, if you read the entry you get the joke.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Aug 10, 2007
  7. Lew wrote:
    >Lew wrote:
    >>> If it makes a yoctojot of difference:
    >>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix>

    >> ..yoctojot? Cool word, what's it mean?

    >...It's a coinage using the prefix "yocto-" that is explained in the
    >referenced Wikipedia entry (restored from your over-enthusiastic snippage); in
    >other words, if you read the entry you get the joke.

    My bad. I skimmed the article, but did not read it.

    Yoctojot, yeah - I like it. If it's not a word, it should be.

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 11, 2007