Preparing Data For Statistical Analysis and Reporting

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Robert, Jul 24, 2007.

  1. Robert

    Robert Guest

    How much data munging is done by Ruby-ists?

    If you need some tools for preparing data for analysis, transforming
    data, and cleaning data up, there are some tools to check out at:

    http://directory.fsf.org/math/stats

    including:

    Vilno
    DAP
    PSPP

    DAP is an open-source version of SAS
    PSPP is an open-source version of SPSS
    Vilno uses it's own language for data transformation, similar to SQL
    SELECT, SAS, and SPSS.

    For statistics itself, I am rather curious about Apophenia
    ( apparently a C library for statistics that can be called by any
    statistics package).

    Robert

    Robert, Jul 24, 2007

  2. Robert wrote:
    > How much data munging is done by Ruby-ists?
    >
    > If you need some tools for preparing data for analysis, transforming
    > data, and cleaning data up, there are some tools to check out at:
    >
    > http://directory.fsf.org/math/stats
    >
    > including:
    >
    > Vilno
    > DAP
    > PSPP
    >
    > DAP is an open-source version of SAS
    > PSPP is an open-source version of SPSS
    > Vilno uses it's own language for data transformation, similar to SQL
    > SELECT, SAS, and SPSS.
    >
    > For statistics itself, I am rather curious about Apophenia
    > ( apparently a C library for statistics that can be called by any
    > statistics package).
    >

    > Robert

    Thanks for the pointers! This is actually something I do a lot in my day
    job. Most of the data extraction is done in Perl, mostly because Ruby
    didn't exist when I wrote most of the code. If there were a couple other
    Ruby programmers around, I'd port it to Ruby/Rails/Ruport.

    Nearly all of the statistics I do is in R, also an open source project.
    There is an R-Ruby bridge called "RSRuby", so that would be another way
    to get into this.

    Nearly everything I do these days is large enough that I use either SQL
    Server or PostgreSQL to manage the datasets. By the end of the year I
    expect it will all be in PostgreSQL -- the SQL Server licenses are too
    expensive.

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jul 25, 2007