Prerequisite for asp.net browsing... ?

John 3:16

Hello All,

I have an asp.net app that is 90% complete. I rebuilt an existing
asp production app, changing it significantly to take advantage of
the enhanced functionality. during development, I would check the
page display from the development machine, my work machine.. and
my work machine from home. All displays looked identical. Over the
weekend, I browsed in from the PC in our family room. (same basic
hardware configuration.) All of the fonts where bigger and when
wrapped, looked misplaced. I immediately thought it was a
resolution problem. I set the resolution to the 1280 x 1024 that
I typically work at. No change in the display. After VPNing into
our network and remoting into the server I moved the lables of the
webform to the left and set the fonts to xxsmall. saved the form.
rechecked from family room pc and it all looked fine. obviously this now
changes how it's displayed from my other machines.

Questions:
1. What can be causing this.
2. Is it possible to right justify the label.text control properties so
that I can
use overkill in the padding to compensate till I figure this out.

thanks in advance,
bob mcclellan.

KMA

Just off the cuff. Could it be that the browser settings are rendering text
a size or two bigger than they are sent by your app. I know that firefox
allows you to CTRL-+ to make the text bigger, regardless of what the web
sent as the optimum size. IE also allows this. I guess it's to help people
with poor vision.

John 3:16

Thanks for the reply KMA...
I will check that tonight. I did check the options in the IE setup and did
not
see anthing referencing the Font size .. but I will check it again to see if
I missed anything.
thanks again,
bob mcclellan

KMA

View|TextSize

John 3:16 said:
Thanks for the reply KMA...
I will check that tonight. I did check the options in the IE setup and did
not
see anthing referencing the Font size .. but I will check it again to see if
I missed anything.
thanks again,
bob mcclellan

John 3:16

KMA....

I think you hit the nail on head. I just bounced to my IE here.
Changed the setting on my work machine... It now looks like
what I saw at home from the family room PC. I will
switch everything back and change the setting at home on their
machine.

I certaintly overlooked the obvious on this one.
Thanks again for the help.
bob mcclellan

KMA

I think there are some gudelines on this issue. Bascially, set your fonts
proportional to each other rather than being of a fixed size, ie use "small"
"smaller" etc. Then the browser will apply the same scaling to all elements.

At the end of the day you've no control over how individuals use their
browsers. Personally I try to format the output with the barest minimum of
formatting.

John 3:16

I agree and will put this into practice.

One more question if I may ask....
Is there a way to justify textboxes (left, center, or right)
I have some webform controls that require the larger width for
instances requiring it but when the value is shorter, the
textbox is justified to the left.

For example:
In Instances where Numbers (displayed as text) are left justified.

tia,
bob mcclellan

KMA

I'm no expert, but I think not.

John 3:16 said:
I agree and will put this into practice.

One more question if I may ask....
Is there a way to justify textboxes (left, center, or right)
I have some webform controls that require the larger width for
instances requiring it but when the value is shorter, the
textbox is justified to the left.

For example:
In Instances where Numbers (displayed as text) are left justified.

tia,
bob mcclellan

darrel

1. What can be causing this.

The infinite variety of user preferences on the internet.

Sounds like you designed your page in grid layout. That is bad. Use 'flow
layout' and make sure your design doesn't break regardless of the font size.

-Darrel