    solutions.

    Hope you'll be interested

    http://tr.im/nosql
    Alexandre Morgaut, Feb 10, 2010

  2. Hi Stephan

    > There's a huge graphic
    > reading "Core data store engine - 64-bit - Unicode - multi-threaded -
    > multi-process - replication - synchronization". I wonder what that
    > means, because none of these terms are specific to NoSQL.

    Well i admit this is not the nicer we could have made.

    We made this big picture because we realized that each time we were
    talking about our project, people were immediately thinking that it
    had to provide SQL code, they had difficulties to understand these
    points :
    - a database can use internally an other language than SQL
    - No this solution can not be used over your MySQL, or Oracle database
    In fact it could it but with complex SQL requests generation and it
    would loose most of its performance instead of gaining power ;-)

    > The list of
    > key objectives above the graphic also sounds quite obvious, and could
    > probably be used to promote any random technology (for example, "As
    > companies grow, the requirements of applications may change").

    This list sounds obvious even more today and NoSQL solutions are a
    collection of different technologies to address these objectives each
    with their own priorities

    This post could not have listed all existing tools (NoSQL and
    others),
    its purpose was to expose the targeted objectives and how this one
    solution (Wakanda) intends to address them

    As you noticed we tryed to make an article understable by any one with
    a minimum of development skills

    > Is there a plan to make your database available on other platforms?
    > Webkit is growing, but as of now only a small percentage of clients can
    > use it.

    We looked at all major JavaScript engines and it was the most adapted
    technically and its community is very active. We are confident to
    have
    a full implementation of ECMAScript 5 quite quickly. We first looked
    at
    Server-side requirements

    The level of client-side compatibility is a bonus, as we can't afford
    to ignore other browsers

    Note that even if it's not the most widely use on desktops, It is the
    first one on mobile platforms including of course iPhone and Nokia
    mobiles

    > I'd be interested to hear more about what you're proposing, and I'd be
    > even more interested in some technical details, example code, thoughts
    > about portability, etc.

    All of this is coming. We're actually working on a new website with
    technical details, demos, API documentation...

    I can say that we always look to existing APIs before building ours
    trying to perform the most effective code portability as possible

    We support the CommonJs Module API and also some W3C / HTML5 APIs

    > To start with a small example (the one given in your article):
    >
    >   var jobOffersWithMary =
    >   ds.employees(‘MyName’).manager.daughter.company.jobOffers.count();
    >
    > That looks very nice and easy on the surface, but what if my manager
    > doesn't have a daughter? What if she's unemployed? What if I'm
    > interested in my manager's dog instead? (not romantically!) What
    > properties does a manager have? Does he have a son, a lawyer, a couch, a
    > garden, ...? As soon as you venture into the everything-can-be-connected
    > terrain, you'll be using lots of if-else branches (or try-catch), and
    > then the code won't look so pretty anymore.

    You can imagine that this is just a funny example of code ;-)

    Each of these chained objects inherits from native methods and
    properties
    like "getModel" or "getName" enabling more generic code when required

    When you go through this "terrain", you do it because you know the
    context,
    for example from filters you applied on the collection of objects
    you're
    working on

    I'll be happy to show more use cases using collections, sub
    collections, and
    specific filter types

    And don't forget that ES5 provides getters and setters which gives
    huge
    possibilities ;-)

    --
    Alexandre.
    Alexandre Morgaut, Feb 24, 2010

  3. Alexandre Morgaut

    RobG Guest

    On Feb 11, 5:21 am, Alexandre Morgaut <> wrote:
    > Hi,

    If this is an announcement regarding of the 4D product called
    "Wakanda", the subject should contain a hint about that, e.g.:

    ANN: Presentation of new ...

    > I made a Post called "NoSQL but so much more" on our blog describing
    > how our NoSQL data store change the way data are accessible and
    > usable, and how Wakanda intends to do it. It use SFX (the Safari
    > webkit JavaScript core) as interface.

    Does it actually use javascript features (e.g. some kind of DOM), or
    is it implemented purely ECMAscript?

    > The post has been intentionally written with the less technical
    > details as possible, trying to describe common goals of NoSQL
    > solutions.

    Perhaps it should also point out that:

    1. There is no beta or preview version available, and there
    is no schedule for when there might be. The only hint
    is "...we want to have a Developer Preview in your hands
    by early next year." But which year?

    2. No licencing model has been announced

    3. No pricing has been suggested

    --
    Rob
    RobG, Feb 25, 2010
  4. Hi Rob,

    The subject on the forum is quite clear and why should the subject
    on the Wakanda blog need to say it's talking about Wakanda ;-)

    Wakanda is actually more a project in development than a product
    tell sell, so yes there is no price nor license at this time.
    But as other projects we think this one is interesting so all
    feedbacks and impressions like the one of Stephan are welcome so it
    could help us to make it better.

    About schedule, the previous post "Souvenir from JSConf.eu" gives
    more information talking about a developer preview in Q1 2010
    (so mostly meaning march).
    As said before, we are working on a new version of the website,
    so sorry if part of the actual one are not up to date, I'll try to
    check it

    It uses the JavaScriptCore engine from Webkit, also called :
    - SquirrelFish
    - SquirrelFish Extreme
    - SFX
    - Nitro
    Not easy to communicate about that as some people only know
    one of these 6 terms ! lol

    We didn't want to embed the DOM interface in each server process,
    but we added support to well known API like XMLHttpRequest or the
    Firebug console API

    It should be detailed in the API doc and the technical specificities
    page of our new website
    Alexandre Morgaut, Feb 25, 2010