Presumably IE8 has a long way to go.

dorayme

cwdjrxyz said:
On Aug 18, 7:31 pm, dorayme <[email protected]> wrote:
The meta must be self closed (<blah />) in xhtml as must img etc,
since everything must be closed in xhtml. If you serve the xhtml page
properly as application/xhtml+xml the xml parser of the browser rather
than the html one is used. Then the usual response is to give you an
error message rather than a view of the page.

It seems IE8 is yet another IE browser that will not conform to
standards, even when simple 4.01 Strict is used.

I was not wanting to have anything to do with xhtml, never mind xhtml +
xml. I am very frightened of both individually and the two together
simply petrifies me.

On my previous tests, sticking the slashed avoider in a conditional
comment for IE only, even though it was not the first tag among the tags
in the head, caused browsershots to display the layout in IE8 in the
same way as in IE7 and IE6 and FF etc rather in the ghastly manner it
did without the secret tag that Harlan has revealed.

<http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/ie8/ie8_withMetaSlashConditional.html>

(The peace with IE6 was an illusion, btw, bug avoiding devices are yet
to be inserted, IE plays up badly on narrow browser widths. <g>)

faerber.jan

I was getting some browsershots of a page and noticed that IE8 was
pretty different in how it rendered:

<http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/ie8/ie8.html>

I was expecting IE6 to play silly buggers but it does not do too bad. I
have not looked at why IE8 might be doing what it does or what might be
done to forestall it on this layout.

It seems as if Microsoft want to disturb Google because Google starts
to feel very comfortable in it's position N° one and at the same time
talks between MS and Google didn't lead to any consense. Now MS don't
care any more about CSS and the result is something like that:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2385/2313420949_91440015ea_o.png
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2086/2313420963_286974aa4f_o.png

The beta release of IE 8 was on the 5th of march 2008.
Are they really willing to put some work on it???

Jan

dorayme

It seems as if Microsoft want to disturb Google because Google starts
to feel very comfortable in it's position N° one and at the same time
talks between MS and Google didn't lead to any consense. Now MS don't
care any more about CSS and the result is something like that:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2385/2313420949_91440015ea_o.png
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2086/2313420963_286974aa4f_o.png

The beta release of IE 8 was on the 5th of march 2008.
Are they really willing to put some work on it???

I simply take it on trust that they *are* willing from what Gerard has
said. Also, it did rather make a difference to avoid what was a bug in
IE8 to use a better stylesheet rather than the old unedited one I used
(which was "fine" for other browsers).

For example, I don't think there is the same trouble with:

<http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/ie8/ie8_3.html>

So there is a lesson here. Perhaps "Don't tempt fate" or "Don't push yer
luck mate" is appropriate. In other words, keep things as simple as
possible and don't overdo code.

In fact, don't overdo anything. It might be of some mild interest to
some people that Aristotle added 'Don't underdo anything' to this and
thus was born his great truth: The Doctrine of the Mean.

faerber.jan

[...]
In fact, don't overdo anything. It might be of some mild interest to
some people that Aristotle added 'Don't underdo anything' to this and
thus was born his great truth: The Doctrine of the Mean.

Maybe you should edit the wikipedia entry on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine_of_the_Mean
because here they write only about Confucius' grandson Kong Ji c450
BCE

Aristoteles time was after that: 384 BC – 322 BC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristoteles
Here they don't write anything about his great truth.

Isn't that strange?

Jan

dorayme

[...]
In fact, don't overdo anything. It might be of some mild interest to
some people that Aristotle added 'Don't underdo anything' to this and
thus was born his great truth: The Doctrine of the Mean.

Maybe you should edit the wikipedia entry on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine_of_the_Mean
because here they write only about Confucius' grandson Kong Ji c450
BCE

Aristoteles time was after that: 384 BC ­ 322 BC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristoteles
Here they don't write anything about his great truth.

Isn't that strange?

There are a lot of strange things. Try

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_mean_(philosophy)>

faerber.jan

[...]
In fact, don't overdo anything. It might be of some mild interest to
some people that Aristotle added 'Don't underdo anything' to this and
thus was born his great truth: The Doctrine of the Mean.
Maybe you should edit the wikipedia entry on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine_of_the_Mean
because here they write only about Confucius' grandson Kong Ji c450
BCE
Aristoteles time was after that:  384 BC ­ 322 BC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristoteles
Here they don't write anything about his great truth.
Isn't that strange?

There are a lot of strange things. Try

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_mean_(philosophy)>

(Very dodgy! Here is nothing.
Like on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_spanker )

So how can you manage to have two icons on your desktop:
One for IE 7 and one for IE 8???

Or do you have to deinstall IE 8 before you can use IE 7 again?

JF

Phonedude

[...]
In fact, don't overdo anything. It might be of some mild interest to
some people that Aristotle added 'Don't underdo anything' to this and
thus was born his great truth: The Doctrine of the Mean.

Maybe you should edit the wikipedia entry on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine_of_the_Mean
because here they write only about Confucius' grandson Kong Ji c450
BCE

Aristoteles time was after that: 384 BC – 322 BC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristoteles
Here they don't write anything about his great truth.

Isn't that strange?

Jan

What is really strange is that no credit is given to Goldilocks, who started
all this when she said, "Not too big and not too small, but juuuuuusst
right."

Larry

faerber.jan

[...]
In fact, don't overdo anything. It might be of some mild interest to
some people that Aristotle added 'Don't underdo anything' to this and
thus was born his great truth: The Doctrine of the Mean.

Maybe you should edit the wikipedia entry onhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine_of_the_Mean
because here they write only about Confucius' grandson Kong Ji c450
BCE

Aristoteles time was after that:  384 BC – 322 BChttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristoteles
Here they don't write anything about his great truth.

Isn't that strange?

Jan

What is really strange is that no credit is given to Goldilocks, who started
all this when she said, "Not too big and not too small, but juuuuuusst
right."

Larry

So let's give some credit to Puff Daddy who knows what is the special
thing concerning style, fashion and the perfect smooth outfit:

Jan

Jani

So how can you manage to have two icons on your desktop:
One forIE7 and one forIE8???

hm... http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE => that might not work on
Vista.

maybe that leads to a solution (I thieve it from another forum)

#1) ms virtual pc
=> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

#2) hard disk image with active XP and IE6 (IE6-XPSP2_VPC.exe) =>
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...90-958f-4b64-b5f1-73d0a413c8ef&DisplayLang=en

#3) a lot of RAM

Then it could be possible to simulate IE 6 or Multiple_IE .

Thanks