PREVENT COPYING WEB PICS HELP

Don Noll

Can somebody tell me the script that will prevent viewers from downloading
or printing photos (jpg) off my web site?

Thanks,

Jonathan N. Little

Don said:
Can somebody tell me the script that will prevent viewers from downloading
or printing photos (jpg) off my web site?

Thanks,
The only real way I know of is not to 'publish' them on the web....

Roy Schestowitz

Jonathan said:
The only real way I know of is not to 'publish' them on the web....

There are measures you can take to more it /more difficult/ for users to do
that. You can also weed out more mediocre users, but you can never prevent
anything once it goes public.

Roy

Jonathan N. Little

Roy said:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

There are measures you can take to more it /more difficult/ for users to do
that. You can also weed out more mediocre users, but you can never prevent
anything once it goes public.

Roy
Roy is right, I gave a smart ass response but if your think about it,
you are 'publishing' them. As an artist, it is a concern of mine, but
you cannot really stop someone from printing and downloading your images
if you put them on a web page. However here are my suggestions on what
to do.

1. Keep your images at web resolution not printable resolution <600
pixels most times 300-400 will do, will look good on a monitor
especially if you play with sharping and smoothing filters and with the
jpg compression, but at this resolution they will not print very well.

2. Copyright and give clear copyright statements, Google 'copyright' for
proper methods, I am assuming this is your original work, right?

3. Digimarc watermark your images, plugins available for all major
images software. Unfortunately one needs the plugin to 'see' the
watermark, but it does prove that the file was generated by you.

4. Pray...some folks steal, sometimes it is dishonest sometimes
ignorance, happened before the Web and will continue after...hopefully
suggestions 1-3 will diswade the most.

msswasstastic

You mentioned them printing the photos, so I assume you are selling art
prints or something.

If that is the case, just watermark the images with their price or
something.

Don Noll

Thanks for input but let me further explain my question.

I visited a site about a year ago that had head shot photos. When you right
clicked or tried to copy, print etc...an error box would pop up. It said
something like these photos are copyrighted. This action prevented any
printing of them.

Leif K-Brooks

Don said:
I visited a site about a year ago that had head shot photos. When you right
clicked or tried to copy, print etc...an error box would pop up. It said
something like these photos are copyrighted. This action prevented any
printing of them.

No, it prevented people with very little knowledge from printing. And
annoyed people who wanted to do something perfectly legitimate by
right-clicking.

Don Noll

Yes, then that's what I want to do. Make it alittle more difficult for the
average person to print our band photos from our website galleries!

Thanks,

Els

Don said:
Yes, then that's what I want to do. Make it alittle more difficult for the
average person to print our band photos from our website galleries!

Photos on website galleries aren't good enough for printing, (I do
assume you use a regualar website format, and not put original high
resolution copies on the site) so you'd only be preventing the regular
fan from printing a bad copy of a picture. Anyone who could make money
with pics from the bands would a) need better originals, and b) be
likely to know how to go around your popup.

Leif K-Brooks

Don said:
Yes, then that's what I want to do. Make it alittle more difficult for the
average person to print our band photos from our website galleries!

Preventing right-clicking will stop the average user who wants to
bookmark your page or send its URL to a friend. Preventing
right-clicking will not stop any of the thieves who are intelligent
enough for you need to worry about them.

cwdjrxyz

Don said:
Can somebody tell me the script that will prevent viewers from downloading
or printing photos (jpg) off my web site?

You can easily slice and dice the jpg into, say, 36 cells using an
image tool such as Paint Shop, which also writes the html to put the
picture back together again. In this case, someone would have to
download the 36 cell jpgs and use an image tool to put them all back
together into a single large jpg. This would not prevent downloading,
but it would make it time consuming and beyond the ability of many. I
have a puzzle that shows 36 cells, that are dragable, in random order.
The code written to put the cells back together is not used, or there
would be no puzzle. You may view the page on my site at
http://www.cwdjr.net/test/picturePuzzle.html . Of course if one does
not mind a loss in resolution, you can always screen capture the page
and take it to an image tool to crop out the part you want, resize, and
file type convert.

Leif K-Brooks

You can easily slice and dice the jpg into, say, 36 cells using an
image tool such as Paint Shop, which also writes the html to put the
picture back together again. In this case, someone would have to
download the 36 cell jpgs and use an image tool to put them all back
together into a single large jpg.

Or they would have to know how to take a screenshot.

nemo

Or they would have to know how to take a screenshot.

By this time, you'll have got the message that you can't prevent it totally,
but in the spirit of making things difficult, you can construct a
two-picture animation of each with the first frame being blank.

Why do they want the pictures of your band? If it's for publicity, you're
wanting to *stop* that???

If the topic is something that just sort'v occurred to you, you can now
start considering hot-linking....

neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Don Noll quothed:
Can somebody tell me the script that will prevent viewers from downloading
or printing photos (jpg) off my web site?

Thanks,

You have the wrong attitude. You should WANT to disseminate the imagery
on your website, -if it's any good, that is.

Jonathan N. Little

neredbojias said:
Without quill or qualm, Don Noll quothed:

You have the wrong attitude. You should WANT to disseminate the imagery
on your website, -if it's any good, that is.
I agree with neredbojias, like a said in my 2nd response to this thread,
keep your website images small 300-400 pixels range. They will be good
enough to be viewable online but not very useful for reproduction to
make pirated t-shirts and stuff, (I assume that is what your concern is)

But if folks copy and post your low-res shots on their sites and blogs,
you don't want to stop that do you? I mean publicity, "that's a good
thing", right?

dorayme

From: (e-mail address removed)
You can easily slice and dice the jpg into, say, 36 cells using an
image tool such as Paint Shop, which also writes the html to put the
picture back together again. In this case, someone would have to
download the 36 cell jpgs and use an image tool to put them all back
together into a single large jpg. This would not prevent downloading,
but it would make it time consuming and beyond the ability of many.

I am sure this is true. But it is not all *that* hard. Consider my gang. I
teach my young thieves various techniques that I have found useful (btw, I
choose Band websites to teach them - they seem to like all this groovy
stuff. Ha ha! But when they are proficient I put them onto things I am more
interested in, eg. fine paintings of bowls of fruit).

One thing I tell them is this. Because they work on Macs (I insist on them
using a collection of old Macs I famously stole ages ago), they have learnt
to very precisely take screen shots of any rectangle they want.
(shift+command+4). We have some reasonable screens in our, let me say, huh
huh, *workshop*. The quality of the screens does not matter at all, it is
just a means to grab the info to send to our very nice printers, which are
available when they they are not being used to print, let me say, less
artistic material, more concrete, greener stuff, if you know what I mean...

If the pics are bigger than 1900 px across as are many print quality ones, I
tell them to *snap and scroll*, *snap and scroll*. I made up a little song
for them with these catchy lines and they sing as they *snap and scroll*.
Most pics yield to just a few such snaps and scrolls. And stitching together
is simply dead easy with layers. They soon learn.

Fagin

Travis Newbury

Don said:
Yes, then that's what I want to do. Make it alittle more difficult for the
average person to print our band photos from our website galleries!

Do you really think your band is so great/important that people will
steal your pictures?

Travis Newbury

neredbojias said:
You have the wrong attitude. You should WANT to disseminate the imagery
on your website, -if it's any good, that is.

Where have you been? It seems like ages since I have seen you post.

Don Noll

My concern is not that people will steal our photos! Our promo photos are
distributed:however; gallery photos are candid photos!

Some people have printed out the candid photos to help us get further gigs.
We feel a "hard" copy used for solicitation should be promo photos NOT
candid photos. Some people have good intentions but would like clients to
view candid photos as action photos, not passed around as promo photos!

Actually stealing our photos is the farthest thing on our mind...thanks for
all input!