prevent from printing

salmanjavaheri

Hi is there a function in html that will show a object (text/images)
on screen, but does not show when printed.

ie
<don't print> this text will be on screen but not printed out </don't
print>

thanks

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit (e-mail address removed):
Hi is there a function in html

No, there are no functions in HTML, which is a poor lonesame data
format.
that will show a object (text/images)
on screen, but does not show when printed.

ie
<don't print> this text will be on screen but not printed out </don't
print>

The idea itself makes sense, but it belongs to the realm of CSS, not
HTML.

For example, navigation menus are typically (worse than) useless in
print copies, so they are best suppressed on printing, using e.g.

<ul class="nav">
</ul>

in markup and

@media print { .nav { display: none; } }

in a style sheet.

salmanjavaheri

Scripsit (e-mail address removed):

No, there are no functions in HTML, which is a poor lonesame data
format.

The idea itself makes sense, but it belongs to the realm of CSS, not
HTML.

For example, navigation menus are typically (worse than) useless in
print copies, so they are best suppressed on printing, using e.g.

<ul class="nav">
</ul>

in markup and

@media print { .nav { display: none; } }

in a style sheet.

cheers for the help everyone, do you know if css can be used in
outlook signatures then? (as we don't want to print off the bit that
says 'please don't print this..save trees etc - the irony would be
innappropriate)

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit (e-mail address removed):
cheers for the help everyone,

Quoting a message down to a sig is a way of telling that you didn't
understand it and won't bother either.
do you know if css can be used in
outlook signatures then?

Nobody cares here. Check the newsgroup charter. Consider yourself
plonked.

Harlan Messinger

Jukka said:
Scripsit (e-mail address removed):

Quoting a message down to a sig is a way of telling that you didn't
understand it and won't bother either.

Do you make these truisms up as you go along or do they come to you in
visions while you sleep?

salmanjavaheri

Scripsit (e-mail address removed):
cheers for the help everyone,

Quoting a message down to a sig is a way of telling that you didn't
understand it and won't bother either.
do you know if css can be used in
outlook signatures then?

Nobody cares here. Check the newsgroup charter. Consider yourself
plonked.

on closer inspection, let me rephrase, thanks for the help RF