Prevent pyc or pyo compiled output

Jason Smith

Hi. I have exactly the problem described in PEP 304: I want to tell
python _not_ to write the .pyc bytecode versions of my modules. (During
development it clutters up my directories and 'svn st' output.)

PEP 304 introduces a method to fix this, but I was wondering if there is
some sort of quick and/or dirty workaround for now.

Thanks for any tips.

--
Jason Smith
Open Enterprise Systems

Duncan Booth

Hi. I have exactly the problem described in PEP 304: I want to tell
python _not_ to write the .pyc bytecode versions of my modules. (During
development it clutters up my directories and 'svn st' output.)

You can fix it for 'svn st' output easily enough: just tell svn to ignore
the files (something like "svn ps -R svn:ignore '*.pyc' .", but I use
tortoisesvn so I may have got the command wrong, and you also want to set
it as a default in your svn config.)

Peter Otten

Jason said:
Hi. I have exactly the problem described in PEP 304: I want to tell
python _not_ to write the .pyc bytecode versions of my modules. (During
development it clutters up my directories and 'svn st' output.)

PEP 304 introduces a method to fix this, but I was wondering if there is
some sort of quick and/or dirty workaround for now.

Maybe you can duplicate your package structure with symlinks to the *.py
files. Then you need not care about the *.pyc put there (untested).

Peter