preventing file-save or select-all in Javascript?

Rex

Hi all,

I want to protect the data on my web page ; I want to make it
viewing-only.

I've already disabled right-click, but can I take it one step further,
and disable certain pulldown menus like copy, select-all,
or file-save-as?

Thanks!

McKirahan

Rex said:
Hi all,

I want to protect the data on my web page ; I want to make it
viewing-only.

I've already disabled right-click, but can I take it one step further,
and disable certain pulldown menus like copy, select-all,
or file-save-as?

You can't "protect the data on my web page".

Post a URL and we'll show you your source.

Julian Turner

Rex said:
Hi all,

I want to protect the data on my web page ; I want to make it
viewing-only.

I've already disabled right-click, but can I take it one step further,
and disable certain pulldown menus like copy, select-all,
or file-save-as?

Thanks!

Hi

It is not worth the effort involved. Besides all the accessibility
issues any Javascript/AJAX solution would involve, even if you managed
to disable any form of copying, it would be a minor hindrance at most.
I could still (if the content is that valuable and unique, and subject
of course to applicable copyright laws):-

(a) Use "Print Screen" and then apply OCR (optical character
recognition), or

(b) Have someone copy type it.

Regards

Julian

David Dorward

Rex said:
I want to protect the data on my web page ; I want to make it
viewing-only.

No possible.
I've already disabled right-click

No, you haven't. You might have rigged something that will /sometimes/
override the default right click behavior, but most browsers come with
"Don't let authors mess with my context menu" options these days.

Rex

David said:
Rex wrote:

No, you haven't. You might have rigged something that will /sometimes/
override the default right click behavior, but most browsers come with
"Don't let authors mess with my context menu" options these days.

Yes, but there is a large part of the population that has
no idea what esoteric options browsers have. I encounter
people all the time who don't even know how to use email.

Incidentally, Flickr has a mechanism for preventing
image saves, although I haven't looked at how it works.

Randy Webb

Rex said the following on 7/4/2006 1:30 PM:
Yes, but there is a large part of the population that has
no idea what esoteric options browsers have. I encounter
people all the time who don't even know how to use email.

Incidentally, Flickr has a mechanism for preventing
image saves, although I haven't looked at how it works.

I bet it doesn't.

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
Yes, but there is a large part of the population that has
no idea what esoteric options browsers have. I encounter
people all the time who don't even know how to use email.

Incidentally, Flickr has a mechanism for preventing
image saves, although I haven't looked at how it works.

This topic is so web 1.0... Didn't you hear that in Web 2.0, you're
supposed to share your content? The Internet is a database ;-)

HTH,
Laurent

Rex

Laurent said:
The Internet is a database ;-)

Yeah, and if the George Bush and World Trade Center
entries of Wikipedia are any measure, it is a database
that opens up a whole new front in the bickering-war that
once was limited to Usenet.

;-)