Preventing memory fragmentation

Tron Thomas

Given the following information about memory management in C++:

-----
The c-runtime dynamic memory manager (and most other commercial memory
managers) has issues with fragmentation similar to a hard drive file
system.
Over time, the more often use call new/delete or alloc/free, there
will be
gaps and fragments in the heap. This can lead to inefficient use of
available memory, as well as cache-hit inefficiencies.

The goal of performance-critical applications is to minimize the
number of
calls to new/delete. Many use buffer managers that allocate blocks of
contiguous memory, and chain them together with list pointers when the
block
is consumed. Another approach is to use a Spare List, in which each
block of
memory is not actually freed but returned to a pool manager.
-----

I have implemented a memory pool that will coalesce blocks of memory
that are returned to the pool when they are freed up. I am interested
in the effectiveness of this implementation over the default memory
manager, and what I might want to change or consider when using the
pool in a specific application. I would appreciate any constructive
feedback this group has to offer.

The code to implement and test the pool is as follows:

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <string.h>

#include <new>
#include <list>

class MemoryPool
{
public:
explicit MemoryPool(size_t memorySize);
~MemoryPool();

void* Reserve(size_t size);
void Release(void* pMemory);

private:
typedef unsigned char Byte;
class Block
{
public:
static Block* FromMemory(void* pMemory);

explicit Block(size_t size, Block* pPrior = NULL, Block*
pNext = NULL);

size_t GetSize() const;
void* GetMemory();
Block* Prior();
Block* Next();

Block* SplitOff(size_t size);
Block* FuseWith( Block* pBlock);

private:
const Block* End() const;

size_t m_size;
Block* m_pPrior;
Block* m_pNext;
};

Block* m_pFirstBlock;
void* m_pMemoryPool;
};

MemoryPool::MemoryPool
(
size_t memorySize
)
{
m_pMemoryPool = ::eek:perator new(memorySize);
::memset(m_pMemoryPool, 0, memorySize);

size_t blockSize = memorySize - sizeof(Block);
m_pFirstBlock = new(m_pMemoryPool) Block(blockSize);
}

MemoryPool::~MemoryPool()
{
::eek:perator delete(m_pMemoryPool);
}

void* MemoryPool::Reserve
(
size_t size
)
{
Block* pBlock = m_pFirstBlock;
while(pBlock->GetSize() < size){
pBlock = pBlock->Next();
if(NULL == pBlock){
throw std::bad_alloc();

Block* pFreeBlock = pBlock->SplitOff(size);

if(NULL == pFreeBlock->Prior()){
m_pFirstBlock = pFreeBlock;
}

return pBlock->GetMemory();
}

void MemoryPool::Release
(
void* pMemory
)
{
Block* pBlock = Block::FromMemory(pMemory);

Block* pNextBlock = m_pFirstBlock;
Block* pPriorBlock = NULL;

while(pBlock > pNextBlock){
pPriorBlock = pNextBlock;
pNextBlock = pNextBlock->Next();
if(NULL == pNextBlock){
break;

if(NULL != pNextBlock){
pBlock = pNextBlock->FuseWith(pBlock);
}

if(NULL != pPriorBlock){
pPriorBlock->FuseWith(pBlock);
}
else{
m_pFirstBlock = pBlock;

MemoryPool::Block* MemoryPool::Block::FromMemory
(
void* pMemory
)
{
Byte* pBytes = reinterpret_cast<Byte*>(pMemory);
return reinterpret_cast<Block*>(pBytes - sizeof(Block));
}

MemoryPool::Block::Block
(
size_t size,
Block* pPrior,
Block* pNext
) : m_size(size),
m_pPrior(pPrior),
m_pNext(pNext)

size_t MemoryPool::Block::GetSize() const
{
return m_size;
}

void* MemoryPool::Block::GetMemory()
{
Byte* pMemory = reinterpret_cast<Byte*>(this);
pMemory += sizeof(*this);
return pMemory;
}

MemoryPool::Block* MemoryPool::Block::prior()
{
return m_pPrior;
}

MemoryPool::Block* MemoryPool::Block::Next()
{
return m_pNext;
}

MemoryPool::Block* MemoryPool::Block::SplitOff
(
size_t size
)
{
Block* pFreeBlock = NULL;
size_t totalSize = sizeof(*this) + size;
if((totalSize >= m_size)){
pFreeBlock = m_pNext;
pFreeBlock->m_pPrior = m_pPrior;
}
else{
Byte* pNextBlock = reinterpret_cast<Byte*>(this);
pNextBlock += totalSize;

pFreeBlock = new(pNextBlock) Block(m_size - totalSize,
m_pPrior,
m_pNext);

if(NULL != m_pNext){
m_pNext->m_pPrior = pFreeBlock;

if(NULL != m_pPrior){
m_pPrior->m_pNext = pFreeBlock;
}

m_size = size;
m_pPrior = NULL;
m_pNext = NULL;

return pFreeBlock;
}

MemoryPool::Block* MemoryPool::Block::FuseWith
(
Block* pBlock
)
{
if(pBlock < this){
if(pBlock->End() == this){
pBlock->m_size += (sizeof(*this) + m_size);
pBlock->m_pNext = m_pNext;

if(NULL != m_pNext){
m_pNext->m_pPrior = pBlock;
else{
pBlock->m_pNext = this;

else{
if(this->End() == pBlock){
m_size += (sizeof(*this) + pBlock->GetSize());
m_pNext = pBlock->m_pNext;
return this;
}
else{
pBlock->m_pPrior = this;
m_pNext = pBlock;

return pBlock;
}

const MemoryPool::Block* MemoryPool::Block::End() const
{
const Byte* pEnd = reinterpret_cast<const Byte*>(this);
pEnd += (sizeof(*this) + m_size);
return reinterpret_cast<const Block*>(pEnd);
}

class Buffer
{
private:
typedef unsigned char Byte;

static const size_t POOL_SIZE = 4096;
static MemoryPool m_memoryPool;
Byte* m_pData;

public:
static void* operator new(size_t size);
static void operator delete(void* pMemory);

explicit Buffer(size_t size);
~Buffer();
};

MemoryPool Buffer::m_memoryPool(Buffer::pOOL_SIZE);

void* Buffer::eek:perator new
(
size_t size
)
{
return m_memoryPool.Reserve(size);
}

void Buffer::eek:perator delete
(
void* pMemory
)
{
m_memoryPool.Release(pMemory);
}

Buffer::Buffer
(
size_t size
)
{
m_pData = reinterpret_cast<Byte*>(m_memoryPool.Reserve(size));
::memset(m_pData, 0xFF, size);
}

Buffer::~Buffer()
{
m_memoryPool.Release(m_pData);
}

typedef std::list<Buffer*> BufferList;
typedef BufferList::iterator BufferIterator;

void AddBuffer(BufferList* pList, size_t size = 0);
void RemoveBuffer(BufferList* pList, size_t buffer = 0);
void ClearBufferList(BufferList* pList);

void AddBuffer
(
BufferList* pList,
size_t size
)
{
const size_t MAX_BUFFER_SIZE = 128;
const size_t MIN_BUFFER_SIZE = 16;

if(0 == size){
size = ::rand() % MAX_BUFFER_SIZE + 1;
if(MIN_BUFFER_SIZE > size){
size = MIN_BUFFER_SIZE;

pList->push_back(new Buffer(size));
}

void RemoveBuffer
(
BufferList* pList,
size_t buffer
)
{
size_t size = pList->size();

if(0 == buffer || (buffer >= size)){
buffer = ::rand() % size;
}

BufferIterator itBuffer = pList->begin();
std::advance(itBuffer, buffer);

Buffer* pBuffer = *itBuffer;
pList->erase(itBuffer);
delete pBuffer;
}

void ClearBufferList
(
BufferList* pList
)
{
BufferIterator itBuffer = pList->begin();
const BufferIterator itEND = pList->end();
while(itEND != itBuffer){
delete *itBuffer;
++itBuffer;

int main()
{
::srand:):time(NULL));
BufferList bufferList;

const int nBUFFER_COUNT = 20;
for(int nBuffer; nBUFFER_COUNT > nBuffer; ++nBuffer){
::AddBuffer(&bufferList);
}

for(int nRemove = 0; 5 > nRemove; ++nRemove){
::RemoveBuffer(&bufferList);
}

for(int nTest = 0; 10 > nTest; ++nTest){
if(0 == ::rand() % 2){
::AddBuffer(&bufferList);
}
else{
::RemoveBuffer(&bufferList);

::ClearBufferList(&bufferList);

Ron Natalie

Tron Thomas said:
managers) has issues with framentaiton. This can lead to inefficient use of
available memory, as well as cache-hit inefficiencies.

True. Some allocators do better than others.
The goal of performance-critical applications is to minimize the
number of calls to new/delete.

The goal of performance-critical applications is to minimize EVERYTHING.
I aasume you mean to the global operator new/delete.

I have implemented a memory pool that will coalesce blocks of memory
that are returned to the pool when they are freed up.

So do almost every default allocator out there. Your code is also suboptimal
as it exhibits the well-known bad behavior of wandering all over memory touching
random pages when you are looking for a block. Further, I can't see anything
in your approach that does anything to diminish fragmentation,

You might want to google around for some of the prior art on this.

Tron Thomas

For my application I am only allocating a specific class of objects on
the heap, so I don't believe that I woud need to override the global
new and delete operators.

Ron Natalie said:
The goal of performance-critical applications is to minimize EVERYTHING.
I aasume you mean to the global operator new/delete.

So do almost every default allocator out there. Your code is also suboptimal
as it exhibits the well-known bad behavior of wandering all over memory touching
random pages when you are looking for a block. Further, I can't see anything
in your approach that does anything to diminish fragmentation,

I expected that most allocator would already handle coalescing, so I
was really wondering what I was getting out of implementing it myself.
That's what motivated me to make this post
You might want to google around for some of the prior art on this.

I tried using Google to research before doing this implementation. I
did not find anything useful. What would you suggest I search under?

Bob Hairgrove

For my application I am only allocating a specific class of objects on
the heap, so I don't believe that I woud need to override the global
new and delete operators.

Just some thoughts:

(1) You can override new and delete in the class whose objects are to
be stored in a special way;

(2) You can use "placement new/delete" and allocate the raw memory
using something besides operator new.

Bob Summers

[...]

<snip>

Instead of asking for opinions, why not do some benchmarks? One
good benchmark trumps 1,000 opinions. Especially when the performance
of whole application is concerned.

See <http://www.microquill.com> for some tips on benchmarking
heap allocators. They also sell a very good heap allocator.

Are you really sure that heap fragmentation is a big issue? I'd be
interested in seeing some data, if you have it.

Don't forget that the reason for minimizing new/delete calls
is because they take time and they can cause a great deal of
contention in multi-threaded servers.

Slab allocators sound good, though I've never measured
one. See for example:
<http://srl.cs.jhu.edu/courses/600.418/SlabAllocator.pdf>

A very quick once over (well it was more like a glance) of
the code gave me the impression that its a naive memory allocator;
though it's entirely possible that I missed something.

Walking a linked list of blocks is likely to cache unfriendly.
I didn't even see the simple stuff like multiple pools for different
sizes of block, let alone, processor or thread specific pools.

And where do you deal with the minimum alignment?

You might also want to check out the Hoard allocator
at <www.hoard.org>. I tested it against the Microquil
allocator a few years ago and the Microquill allocator,
SmartHeap, was much faster in my application.

Bob S

Tron Thomas

Ron Natalie said:

Yes, I have conducted simular searches that returned many results as
well. However, I have never found any site that really discuss how to
deal with memory fragmentation.

One suggested technique is free space compaction. This would imply
using handles as you have to shift memory around to compact memory,
and I believe that handles might be difficult to incoporate into what
is already implemented.

Most site discuss method of finding a free block, such as first fit
which means to find the first free block that will satisfy the
request. This is what I implemented for my memory pool. One web site
suggested that first fit is one of the methods that leads to less
memory fragmentation than others. So that might be a plus for what
I've done so far.

I have reviewed the code for the project where I want to handle memory
differently. It turns out there are only 3 classes that allocate
objects on the heap frequenty. Other classes only instantiate one
object during the lifetime of the program and wouldn't contribute much
to fragmentation.

Objects created from these three classes are all of fixed sizes. I'm
thinking I could override operator new for each of these classes where
I reserve a pool that would contain a certain number of blocks, each
of which can hold one object.

Since all objects are the same size, one block is as good as another
and the fact that the pool might become fragmented wouldn't matter too
much. Memory wouldn't be wasted as all blocks in the free list would
be able to hold a desired object regardless of its location it the
list.

Tron Thomas

[...]

The comments I listed in my post concerning fragmentation were based
on criticism given by a company where I applied for a programming
position. I sent them the code from some projects I had done and they
were concerned about the way I handled memory in one of my programs,
even though they had never run the program and done any benchmarks
against it.

The program is not that complicated and seems to run fine as it is. I
thought there would be value in dealing with the criticism they
offered in case someone else should review the code and come to a
similar conclusion. Plus, it would be a good learning experience.

I believe I have a strategy that will improve things. I will also
look at the links you suggested.

What exactly is minium alignment and how is it usually dealt with?

Tom Plunket

Tron said:
The comments I listed in my post concerning fragmentation were
based on criticism given by a company where I applied for a
programming position. I sent them the code from some projects I
had done and they were concerned about the way I handled memory
in one of my programs, even though they had never run the program
and done any benchmarks against it.

Did you try asking them for (or simply did you get) specifics
beyond, "it'll fragment memory"?
The program is not that complicated and seems to run fine as it
is. I thought there would be value in dealing with the criticism
they offered in case someone else should review the code and come
to a similar conclusion. Plus, it would be a good learning
experience.

Is it this memory pool class you wrote that does your allocation?
I.e. is this the memory manager that they called into question?
I believe I have a strategy that will improve things. I will
also look at the links you suggested.

While looking at other memory managers is always a good idea,
generally the most bang for your buck comes from minimizing the
need for one in the first place.

Your memory manager is THE naive memory manager. No offense
intended, it's just pretty much the most basic memory manager
that there could be.

When I say, "minimize the need for [a memory manager]," I mean,
do all that you can to strip calls to new and delete out of your
codebase. Or, push all of those calls to program initialization
or something.

I write video games for a living. We target small-memory
machines, so in addition to the performance ramifications of
general purpose memory management, fragmentation is a terrible
problem. Fragmentation hits us hard (or could, anyway, if we
used memory allocation naively) because there are a lot of small
allocations that are relatively temporary and a lot of large
allocations that stick around. So, you might allocate a few
small things, allocate a big thing, toss the small things, then
the next big thing can't fit into the small things space that's
now free.

The "solution" for us has always been to limit memory allocation
to being at startup, and to not ever call delete. So, you
allocate a bunch of stuff that you actually need, and you keep
that stuff around forever. This meant that stuff like the amount
of text on screen had a maximum (the text system allocated
buffers big enough for TEXT_NUM_CHARS or some such), there could
be a fixed maximum number of bullet holes strewn about the world,
and there was a fixed number of enemy characters that could be
visible on-screen at any given time. This pushed "dynamic"
memory management off to the different object types that managed
their own types of pools, but this actually ended up being
factored out into "base functionality" for most cases that needed
this sort of thing.
What exactly is minium alignment and how is it usually dealt
with?

The PlayStation2 RAM, for example, is set up so that it's really
easy to read things on 64k boundaries, slightly less easy to read
on any arbitrary 16-byte boundary, and only possible to read on
32-bit boundaries into the main CPU. In other words, "minimum
alignment" changes depending on what you're trying to do.
Arguably the memory allocator should be aware of these issues.
Anything that we wanted to DMA anywhere needed to live on these
16-byte boundaries, but if we had any blocks of anything that we
ever wanted to send anywhere, we actually wanted to do our best
to stick them on 64k boundaries, or far enough away from those
boundaries such that the data that the DMA hardware needed could
fit right at the boundary...

-tom!

Ron Natalie

Bob Summers said:
I didn't even see the simple stuff like multiple pools for different
sizes of block, let alone, processor or thread specific pools.
It's worse than cache unfriendly. If you are running over an underlying
virtual memory system, walking the blocks pages in a lot of random pages
just to search the list.

Bob Summers

The comments I listed in my post concerning fragmentation were based
on criticism given by a company where I applied for a programming
position. I sent them the code from some projects I had done and they
were concerned about the way I handled memory in one of my programs,
even though they had never run the program and done any benchmarks
against it.

The program is not that complicated and seems to run fine as it is. I
thought there would be value in dealing with the criticism they
offered in case someone else should review the code and come to a
similar conclusion. Plus, it would be a good learning experience.

I believe I have a strategy that will improve things. I will also
look at the links you suggested.

What exactly is minium alignment and how is it usually dealt with?

On most (all?) RISC machines, addresses of primitive types have to
be a multiple of the size of the item, i.e. the address of a
4 byte int has be a multiple of the integer size. Even platforms
that allow unaligned loads and stores will generally run much faster
with aligned loads. Imagine what can happen when you try to load an
int that spans pages. Both sides of the int can generate their own
TLB miss, cache miss and pagefault.

That means that data structures must be aligned so that all of their
component parts are correctly aligned. The compiler will assume that
the heap allocator will use some minimum alignment. I think
most 32 bit machines will want 64 bits to be the minimal alignment.
You have to understand how your CPU does addressing to know what
the right value is. In some applications, you'd profit by spending
some space to get cache line alignment, i.e. 32 or 64 bytes with
64 bytes becoming more common.

I think that most allocators will just know what alignement the OS
gives them when they request a chunk of memory. I think that this
will be page aligned on all platforms. If not, it's pretty simple
to check what the actual alignment is as long as you know what the
internals of a pointer look like. Then the allocator will
allocate in chunks that are multiples of the minimum alignment.

I've spent quite a bit of time working in integer code performance
in the last 10 years or so and I can truthfully say that I've never
worried about heap fragmentation. Heap allocation and deallocation
I've worried about constantly but never fragmentation. It's possible
that the person that interviewed you didn't know what they were
talking about or the two of you miscommunicated. It's also
possible that they were right. Without more context, I can't come
up with a reasonable explanation for the criticism. Was this for
an embedded system or numeric application? Did your interviewer
mean pointer chasing or other skipping around in memory instead
of fragmentation?

Bob S

Bob Summers

Tron Thomas wrote:
[...]

I work on large systems and I agree with your advice regarding
dynamic memory allocation. Don't do it unless it's the best
alternative. Most of the OO code that I've worked on goes crazy
overusing dynamic allocation. I've seen servers that do
20K allocations to print a 200 line list. I carefully
think over every new and malloc call that I code.

Bob S

Tron Thomas

Tom Plunket said:
Did you try asking them for (or simply did you get) specifics
beyond, "it'll fragment memory"?

This is an editted version of the e-mail thread between myself and the
person at the comapany who provided the feedback on my code:

Hi Tron,