Preview release of LTXML2

Discussion in 'XML' started by Richard Tobin, Jun 15, 2007.

  1. I'm pleased to announce the first release of LTXML2, the new version
    of LTG's XML toolkit. This release is binary-only, for Mac and Linux.
    We intend to do a source release later in the year.

    The software can be downloaded from:

    http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/software/ltxml2

    From the README file:

    LTXML2 Preview Binary Release, June 2007

    About LTXML2:

    LTXML2 is the new version of LTG's XML toolkit. These tools were
    designed for use in NLP (Natural Language Processing) applications,
    but many of them are useful for general-purpose XML processing.

    LTXML2 consists of a C API for reading, writing, and modifying XML
    documents, an XPath library, and several applications built with
    these. The present release contains only the applications.

    The applications include among others lxgrep, a grep-like program for
    XML; lxt, an XSLT 1.0 implementation; lxprintf, a program for
    generating plain-text tables from an XML document; and lxsort, a
    sorting program.

    Also included is lxtransduce, which is a key part of LT-TTT 2, our set
    of shallow text NLP tools. LT-TTT 2 will be released this summer.

    Installation:

    This release contains only binaries, manual pages, and the lxtransduce
    DTD. Copy the files into suitables directories on your system (e.g.
    /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/man/man1, and /usr/local/share). You may
    wish to add a reference to the lxtransduce DTD to your XML catalog if
    you use one.

    Versions compiled for Linux and MacOS X are available.

    Documentation:

    There is an ltxml2 manual page with a very brief introduction to the
    programs, and an individual manual page for each program. Most of the
    programs are straightforward and controlled by command-line options,
    but for lxtransduce there is also an introduction to the rule files
    available at:

    http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/ltxml2/lxtransduce-manual.html

    The forthcoming LT-TTT 2 release will include scripts and tutorial
    for lxtransduce.

    Copying:

    The files in this release are Copyright 2007 Richard Tobin, LTG, HCRC,
    University of Edinburgh. They may not be redistributed. We plan to
    make a source release later in the year.

    Bugs:

    Most of these programs have not yet been widely used, so expect to
    find bugs. Please report them to .

    -- Richard

    in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
    Richard Tobin, Jun 15, 2007