preview7 tarball size

Brian Candler

I notice there was a substantial size jump between p6 and p7:

Jul 31 09:47 GNU Compr. Tar ruby-1.8.0-preview6.tar.gz 1758Kb
Aug 1 12:10 GNU Compr. Tar ruby-1.8.0-preview7.tar.gz 2109Kb

As far as I can see, this was caused by importing a bunch of tk samples. And
the biggest part of that is a single ~200KB image which has been included
twice:

$ cd ruby-1.8.0/ext/tk/sample
$ du
12 ./demos-en/doc.org
295 ./demos-en/images
648 ./demos-en
12 ./demos-jp/doc.org
295 ./demos-jp/images
625 ./demos-jp
1303 .
$ ls -l demos-en/images/*.ppm
-rw-r--r-- 1 brian brian 196623 Jul 31 21:52 demos-en/images/teapot.ppm
$ ls -l demos-jp/images/*.ppm
-rw-r--r-- 1 brian brian 196623 Jul 31 21:52 demos-jp/images/teapot.ppm

There's also a 50K GIF which has been included twice.

Is this really necessary? If it is, could you not just include symlinks
from demos-jp/images to demos-en/images, or vice versa?

In fact you could just symlink the whole directory, but the filenames are
different:

$ diff -ubr demos-en/images demos-jp/images
Only in demos-jp/images: face.bmp
Only in demos-en/images: face.xbm
Only in demos-jp/images: flagdown.bmp
Only in demos-en/images: flagdown.xbm
Only in demos-jp/images: flagup.bmp
Only in demos-en/images: flagup.xbm
Only in demos-jp/images: gray25.bmp
Only in demos-en/images: gray25.xbm
Only in demos-jp/images: letters.bmp
Only in demos-en/images: letters.xbm
Only in demos-jp/images: noletter.bmp
Only in demos-en/images: noletter.xbm
Only in demos-jp/images: pattern.bmp
Only in demos-en/images: pattern.xbm

Rather than a cultural difference in preferred image format, this appears to
be a bug, since the contents of the files are identical.

Cheers,

Brian.

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hello,

In message "preview7 tarball size"

|There's also a 50K GIF which has been included twice.
|
|Is this really necessary? If it is, could you not just include symlinks
|from demos-jp/images to demos-en/images, or vice versa?

Maybe not. But you are bit too late. I already packaged the final
1.8.0. Maybe fixed in the next release. I'm not sure CVS can handle
symbolic links though.

matz.

Hidetoshi NAGAI

Hi,

From: (e-mail address removed) (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Subject: Re: preview7 tarball size
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:41:19 +0900

me too. :)

I'd known that will be a problem. I will unify the demos in the
future version. Because each version of demos was maintained at
the different place, I had no time for unification on release
schedule of Ruby1.8.0. I'm very sorry, but please wait the
future release.

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:53:14 +0900,
Hidetoshi said:
I'd known that will be a problem. I will unify the demos in the
future version. Because each version of demos was maintained at
the different place, I had no time for unification on release
schedule of Ruby1.8.0. I'm very sorry, but please wait the
future release.

What about setting $demo_dir by

$demo_dir = File.expand_path("../../images", $0)

and moving sample/demos-*/images to sample/images?

Brian Candler

I'd known that will be a problem. I will unify the demos in the
future version. Because each version of demos was maintained at
the different place, I had no time for unification on release
schedule of Ruby1.8.0. I'm very sorry, but please wait the
future release.

That will be fine of course - thanks for your response.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hidetoshi NAGAI

From: (e-mail address removed)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:03:44 +0900
$demo_dir = File.expand_path("../../images", $0)
and moving sample/demos-*/images to sample/images?

Current version of demos use the variable to decide not only the image
path but also the path of a sub-script called by the 'widget' script.
But it is a good idea to introduce new variable to find the image.
Maybe I select it on the first step of unification.