Morris Neuman

Hi,
How do I create a previous page links on a page that when clicked would
return to the page that the user came from. This could be a different page
based on the user's selection.

For example, the flow could be:
1) Page A to Page B to Page C
2) Page A to Page C

If the user is on Page C and clicks previous button then if they came to
page c based on scenario 1 they would return to page B; if scenario 2 then
return to page A.

Is there a way to save the url of the page that the user came from?

Thanks as always for your help.

Ed Murphy

Morris said:
How do I create a previous page links on a page that when clicked would
return to the page that the user came from. This could be a different page
based on the user's selection.

For example, the flow could be:
1) Page A to Page B to Page C
2) Page A to Page C

If the user is on Page C and clicks previous button then if they came to
page c based on scenario 1 they would return to page B; if scenario 2 then
return to page A.

Is there a way to save the url of the page that the user came from?

Thanks as always for your help.

The usual solution is as follows:

Vince Xu [MSFT]

Hello Morris,

If you want to get the previous url on server-side, you can get the
previous url by using Request.ServerVariables["HTTP_REFERER"].

But you can not always get the information about it.

1. Some proxys can not send the the information about HTTP url to you.
2. Some Clients can prevent from sending IP and URL by "header_access deny".
In above scenarios, HTTP_REFERER, HTTP_VIA and HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR are
null.

So we can't ensure to get the information about HTTP_REFERER, HTTP_VIA and
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR.

If you just want to create a button/link to allow the user go back to the

Sincerely,

Vince Xu

Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?TW9ycmlzIE5ldW1hbg==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Previous page url
| Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 10:00:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Hi,
| How do I create a previous page links on a page that when clicked would
| return to the page that the user came from. This could be a different
page
| based on the user's selection.
|
| For example, the flow could be:
| 1) Page A to Page B to Page C
| 2) Page A to Page C
|
| If the user is on Page C and clicks previous button then if they came to
| page c based on scenario 1 they would return to page B; if scenario 2
then
| return to page A.
|
| Is there a way to save the url of the page that the user came from?
|
| Thanks as always for your help.
|
| --
|
| Morris

Morris Neuman

Thanks Ed and Vince.

Used the history.go(-1) which works well.
--
Thanks
Morris