PreviousPage property and web farms

Kel Good

I'm wondering if the PreviousPage property is only populated when a page is
cross posted on the same server, or will this work in a web farm situation.

Thanks.

Kel

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Kel,

Welcome to the ASPNET newsgroup.

As for the cross-page posting, I think it can work correct in webfarm
scenario because when one page cross posting to another page, the
PreviousPage instance is a new created page instance on serverside and
restore its status and control structure from the clientside posted
ViewState. Therefore, as far as we've correctly configured the webfarm
servers to share same Viewstate related settings (such as the MachineKey
and security algorithm....), the cross-posting should work.

BTW, for webfarm scenario in ASPNET, it generally will affact those state
management which rely on the specific server process's memorty. For
example, the Application State, Application Cache or Inproc sessionState,
such things will be broken when used in webfarm scenario.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome Kel,

Please feel free to post here if there's anything else we can help.