    anurag Guest

    hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    all permutations of a string.please help

    anurag, Jul 20, 2006

  2. anurag wrote:
    > hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    > all permutations of a string.please help

    Please, for C questions do not cross-post to comp.lang.c++. Thanks!

    Victor Bazarov, Jul 20, 2006

  3. [comp.lang.c++ snipped - followups set to comp.lang.c]

    anurag said:

    > hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    > all permutations of a string.please help

    Consider how you would do this by hand. For example, let's look at the
    string "ABCD". We can think of the permutations of this string as being
    divided into four sets (because the string is four characters long):

    1) All the strings starting with A and continuing with some permutation of
    BCD
    2) All the strings starting with B and continuing with some permutation of
    CDA
    3) All the strings starting with C and continuing with some permutation of
    DAB
    4) All the strings starting with D and continuing with some permutation of
    ABC

    As you might imagine, you can get at these sets simply by moving the string
    around a little.

    Let's look at just one of these sets (because the others are dealt with in
    the same way, obviously): strings starting with A and continuing with some
    permutation of BCD.

    We are now faced with the problem of finding all the strings containing BCD
    (which we can simply append to A to get the full permutation).

    We can think of the permutations of this string as being divided into three
    sets (because the string is three characters long):

    1) All the strings starting with B and continuing with some permutation of
    CD
    2) All the strings starting with C and continuing with some permutation of
    DB
    3) All the strings starting with D and continuing with some permutation of
    BC

    As you might imagine, you can get at these sets simply by moving the string
    around a little.

    Let's look at just one of these sets (because the others are dealt with in
    the same way, obviously): strings starting with (A and then) B and
    continuing with some permutation of CD.

    We are now faced with the problem of finding all the strings containing CD
    (which we can simply append to AB to get the full permutation).

    We can think of the permutations of this string as being divided into two
    sets (because the string is two characters long):

    1) All the strings starting with C and continuing with some permutation of D
    2) All the strings starting with D and continuing with some permutation of C

    As you might imagine, you can get at these sets simply by moving the string
    around a little.

    Let's look at just one of these sets (because the others are dealt with in
    the same way, obviously): strings starting with (A and then B and then) C,
    and continuing with some permutation of D.

    We are now faced with the problem of finding all the strings containing D
    (which we can simply append to ABC to get the full permutation).

    We can think of the permutations of this string as being divided into one
    set (because the string is one character long):

    1) All the string starting with D - which is obvious, of course.

    The canonical way to do this is via recursion, passing in the string,
    together with the number of items yet to be permuted. If that number is 0,
    simply display the string. Otherwise, loop around the leftmost
    not-yet-handled character and, within the loop, recurse with n-1.

    Now take a crack at it yourself, and let us know how you get on.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Jul 20, 2006
  4. anurag

    Flash Gordon Guest

    anurag wrote:
    > hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    > all permutations of a string.please help

    Yes. First learn that C++ and C are different languages, so posting to
    comp.lang.c++ is entirely inappropriate if you want a C solution.

    Having excluded comp.lang.c++ you should first try to write your
    algorithm. comp.lang.c does not generally help with algorithms,
    comp.programming and alt.comp.lang.c-c++ might, check the groups out to
    see. comp.lang.c discusses the C language and helps people with C problems.

    Then, post specific questions rather than just asking someone to help
    you writing it. A lot of us could write the function in less time that
    it would take to explain it to you, but this would not help you to learn.

    If you don't know where to start, then I suggest you start off by trying
    to write all the permutations of a short string by hand rather than
    trying to write a program to do it. Then you can analyse how you did it
    and try to formalise that in to an algorithm.

    I've excluded comp.lang.c++ from the follow-ups. When you have decided
    whether you have a problem with the C language or with writing the
    algorithm please cut the posting down to only the most appropriate group.

    Flash Gordon, Jul 20, 2006
  5. anurag

    Lew Pitcher Guest

    anurag wrote:
    > hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    > all permutations of a string.please help

    IIRC, this favour has been requested a number of times in recent weeks.
    I wonder why the sudden interest in permuting strings using C
    functions.

    In any case, to give a concrete example of what R.H. discusses
    elsethread, here's an attempt I made a few weeks ago, when the question
    first came up. Take it as you will.

    For the regulars: yes I know that answering a homework question is
    frowned apon, and even worse is answering an algorithm question, but
    this one piqued my interest. So, for my one freebie a year, I post this
    code ;-)

    ==snip==

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <string.h>

    void rotate(unsigned length, char *string)
    {
    char save;

    save = *string;
    while(--length)
    {
    *string=*(string+1);
    ++string;
    }
    *string = save;
    }

    void permute(unsigned length, char *string, unsigned depth)
    {

    if (length == 0)
    printf("%s\n",string-depth);
    else
    {
    unsigned count;

    for (count = length ; count > 0; --count)
    {
    permute(length-1,string+1,depth+1);
    rotate(length,string);

    int main(int argc, char **argv)
    {
    while (--argc)
    {
    char *source = malloc(strlen(*++argv)+1);

    if (source)
    {
    strcpy(source,*argv);
    printf("\nPermuting \"%s\"\n",source);

    permute(strlen(source),source,0);

    free(source);
    return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    }

    ==snip==

    - --
    Lew Pitcher

    Lew Pitcher, Jul 20, 2006
  6. anurag

    Ico Guest

    In comp.lang.c Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    > [comp.lang.c++ snipped - followups set to comp.lang.c]
    >
    > anurag said:
    >
    >> hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    >> all permutations of a string.please help

    > Consider how you would do this by hand. For example, let's look at the
    > string "ABCD". We can think of the permutations ...

    [ ...snipped yet another lengthy explanation... ]

    > ... string. Otherwise, loop around the leftmost
    > not-yet-handled character and, within the loop, recurse with n-1.
    >
    > Now take a crack at it yourself, and let us know how you get on.

    I admire your patience, I really do...

    --
    :wq
    ^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

    Ico, Jul 20, 2006
  7. In article <>,
    anurag <> writes
    >hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    >all permutations of a string.please help

    That looks like homework. In addition it is under specified. Are the
    characters in the string all unique or are repeats allowed? If they are
    all unique it is very easy :)

    --
    Francis Glassborow ACCU
    Author of 'You Can Do It!' and "You Can Program in C++"

    Francis Glassborow, Jul 20, 2006
  8. Francis Glassborow <> writes:
    > In article <>,
    > anurag <> writes
    >>hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    >>all permutations of a string.please help
    >>

    > That looks like homework. In addition it is under specified. Are the
    > characters in the string all unique or are repeats allowed? If they
    > are all unique it is very easy :)

    Not as easy as if they're all the same!

    Keith Thompson, Jul 20, 2006
  9. anurag

    Noah Roberts Guest

    anurag wrote:
    > hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    > all permutations of a string.please help

    Knuth, Volume 4 fascicle 2.

    Noah Roberts, Jul 20, 2006
  10. * Noah Roberts:
    > anurag wrote:
    >> hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    >> all permutations of a string.please help

    > Knuth, Volume 4 fascicle 2.

    As I recall, Knuth does not discuss or mention arithmetic coding of
    permutations (using the factorial number system), so is not a complete
    reference.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

    Alf P. Steinbach, Jul 20, 2006
  11. anurag

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    "Alf P. Steinbach" <> writes:

    > * Noah Roberts:
    >> anurag wrote:
    >>> hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    >>> all permutations of a string.please help

    >> Knuth, Volume 4 fascicle 2.

    > As I recall, Knuth does not discuss or mention arithmetic coding of
    > permutations (using the factorial number system), so is not a complete
    > reference.

    Is that necessary to answer the OP's question? I doubt it.
    --
    "doe not call up Any that you can not put downe."
    --H. P. Lovecraft

    Ben Pfaff, Jul 20, 2006
  12. Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > anurag wrote:
    > > hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    > > all permutations of a string.please help

    > IIRC, this favour has been requested a number of times in recent weeks.
    > I wonder why the sudden interest in permuting strings using C
    > functions.

    Perhaps from summer school assignments from all those students who
    failed their C classes?

    [...]

    Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:>

    Kenneth Brody, Jul 21, 2006
  13. anurag

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    > * Noah Roberts:
    > > anurag wrote:
    > >> hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    > >> all permutations of a string.please help

    > > Knuth, Volume 4 fascicle 2.

    > As I recall, Knuth does not discuss or mention arithmetic coding of
    > permutations (using the factorial number system), so is not a complete
    > reference.

    Yeah, I don't know what's actually in it. I have it but haven't gotten
    the time to read it yet. Knuth takes me an extraordinary amount of
    time to read. But it's title is "Generating all permutations and
    combinations" so I figured it would be appropriate. Guy might learn
    something instead of having his homework done for him.

    Noah Roberts, Jul 21, 2006
  14. anurag

    Simon Biber Guest

    Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    > * Noah Roberts:
    >> anurag wrote:
    >>> hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    >>> all permutations of a string.please help

    >> Knuth, Volume 4 fascicle 2.

    > As I recall, Knuth does not discuss or mention arithmetic coding of
    > permutations (using the factorial number system), so is not a complete
    > reference.

    When you refer to arithmetic coding of permutations using the factorial
    number system, are you talking about an algorithm that assigns a unique
    index number to each permutation and can return any individual
    permutation given its index number?

    I have implemented a system like that below:

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <string.h>

    typedef unsigned long long ull;

    /* calculate factorial of given number */
    ull fact(ull a)
    {
    ull result = 1;
    while(a) result *= a--;
    return result;
    }

    /* generates a permutation of str and stores it in 'rs'
    the permutation generated is index number 'no'
    of 'np' total permutations (np == fact(strlen(str)) */
    void get_perm(char *rs, const char *str, ull no, ull np)
    {
    size_t len = strlen(str);
    ull nm = no;
    ull lt;
    char *p;
    char temp;
    strcpy(rs, str);

    for(p = rs; *p; p++)
    {
    np = np / len;
    lt = nm / np;
    nm = nm % np;

    temp = p[0];
    p[0] = p[lt];
    p[lt] = temp;

    len--;

    void print_all(const char *str)
    {
    size_t len = strlen(str);
    char *rs = malloc(len + 1);
    ull np = fact(len);
    ull i;
    if(!rs)
    {
    fprintf(stderr, "Error allocating memory\n");
    }
    else for(i = 0; i < np; i++)
    {
    get_perm(rs, str, i, np);
    printf("%4lld: %s\n", i, rs);

    int main(int argc, char **argv)
    {
    if(argc == 2)
    {
    print_all(argv[1]);
    }
    else
    {
    fprintf(stderr, "Error: require one argument for"
    " string to permute\n");
    }
    return 0;
    }

    Simon Biber, Jul 21, 2006
  15. Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > For the regulars: yes I know that answering a homework question is
    > frowned apon, and even worse is answering an algorithm question, but
    > this one piqued my interest. So, for my one freebie a year, I post this
    > code ;-)

    The code gives the same amount of permutations for following two cases,
    is it correct?

    Permuting "abcde"
    abcde
    abced

    Permuting "abcdd"
    abcdd
    abcdd

    lovecreatesbeauty, Jul 25, 2006
  16. Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > [comp.lang.c++ snipped - followups set to comp.lang.c]
    >
    > anurag said:
    >
    > > hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    > > all permutations of a string.please help

    > Consider how you would do this by hand. For example, let's look at the
    > string "ABCD". We can think of the permutations of this string as being
    > divided into four sets (because the string is four characters long):

    <snip>

    If you can demonstrate your explanation with real quality code, it will
    be better, and it shows you achieve what you can say.

    lovecreatesbeauty, Jul 25, 2006
  17. Ben Pfaff wrote:
    > "Alf P. Steinbach" <> writes:
    >
    > > * Noah Roberts:
    > >> Knuth, Volume 4 fascicle 2.

    > > As I recall, Knuth does not discuss or mention arithmetic coding of
    > > permutations (using the factorial number system), so is not a complete
    > > reference.

    > Is that necessary to answer the OP's question? I doubt it.
    > --
    > "doe not call up Any that you can not put downe."
    > --H. P. Lovecraft

    Why? Up to now, the code given by you C experts are all wrong. Are you
    all line-shooters?

    lovecreatesbeauty, Jul 25, 2006
  18. anurag

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    "lovecreatesbeauty" <> writes:

    > Why? Up to now, the code given by you C experts are all wrong. Are you
    > all line-shooters?

    Some code I wrote for generating permutations can be found in
    ll_next_permutation and ll_prev_permutation at
    http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/pspp/src/libpspp/ll.c?rev=1.1&root=pspp&view=markup
    It targets linked lists, not strings.

    There's a test program at
    http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs...t.c?content-type=text/plain&rev=1.1&root=pspp
    );}return 0;}

    Ben Pfaff, Jul 25, 2006
  19. lovecreatesbeauty said:

    > Richard Heathfield wrote:
    >> [comp.lang.c++ snipped - followups set to comp.lang.c]
    >>
    >> anurag said:
    >>
    >> > hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    >> > all permutations of a string.please help

    >> Consider how you would do this by hand. For example, let's look at the
    >> string "ABCD". We can think of the permutations of this string as being
    >> divided into four sets (because the string is four characters long):

    > <snip>
    >
    > If you can demonstrate your explanation with real quality code, it will
    > be better, and it shows you achieve what you can say.

    That's great psychology, but doing his homework for him is not going to help
    him one bit. If you choose to believe that I can't permute a string, that's
    entirely up to you. I am not here to impress you.

    Richard Heathfield, Jul 25, 2006
  20. anurag

    Ivanna Pee Guest

    Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > anurag wrote:
    > > hey can anyone help me in writing a code in c (function) that prints
    > > all permutations of a string.please help

    > IIRC, this favour has been requested a number of times in recent weeks.
    > I wonder why the sudden interest in permuting strings using C
    > functions.
    >
    > In any case, to give a concrete example of what R.H. discusses
    > elsethread, here's an attempt I made a few weeks ago, when the question
    > first came up. Take it as you will.
    >
    > For the regulars: yes I know that answering a homework question is
    > frowned apon, and even worse is answering an algorithm question, but
    > this one piqued my interest. So, for my one freebie a year, I post this
    > code ;-)
    >
    > ==snip==
    >
    > #include <stdio.h>
    > #include <stdlib.h>
    > #include <string.h>
    >
    > void rotate(unsigned length, char *string)
    > {
    > char save;
    >
    > save = *string;
    > while(--length)
    > {
    > *string=*(string+1);
    > ++string;
    > }
    > *string = save;
    > }
    >
    > void permute(unsigned length, char *string, unsigned depth)
    > {
    >
    > if (length == 0)
    > printf("%s\n",string-depth);
    > else
    > {
    > unsigned count;
    >
    > for (count = length ; count > 0; --count)
    > {
    > permute(length-1,string+1,depth+1);
    > rotate(length,string);

    > int main(int argc, char **argv)
    > {
    > while (--argc)
    > {
    > char *source = malloc(strlen(*++argv)+1);
    >
    > if (source)
    > {
    > strcpy(source,*argv);
    > printf("\nPermuting \"%s\"\n",source);