    printed. Yet I get a blank screen for the print preview any suggestion would
    be appreciated.

    www.poetrymadman.com

    Tom, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Tom

    Karl Core Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    news:cutf8g$emj$...
    >I assume that If i set up a print css file then I can just set those
    >elements to display none, that I don't want to print and all the rest is
    >printed. Yet I get a blank screen for the print preview any suggestion
    >would be appreciated.

    Chances are, you've chosen to 'display: none' on the parent element of
    something you wanted to print.

    --
    Karl Core
    Hell To Pay, Baltimore Hardcore: http://www.eightninethree.com

    Karl Core, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Tom

    rf Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote

    > I assume that If i set up a print css file then I can just set those
    > elements to display none, that I don't want to print and all the rest is
    > printed. Yet I get a blank screen for the print preview any suggestion

    would
    > be appreciated.
    >
    > www.poetrymadman.com

    Hmmm. Tables within tables.

    The one you want to print is nested. The one you hide is the outermost one.
    Of course you are going to get a blank page :)

    rf, Feb 15, 2005
  4. On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:47:05 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    > Hmmm. Tables within tables.
    >
    > The one you want to print is nested. The one you hide is the outermost
    > one.
    > Of course you are going to get a blank page :)

    lol

    Barbara de Zoete, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:47:05 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmm. Tables within tables.
    >>
    >> The one you want to print is nested. The one you hide is the outermost
    >> one.
    >> Of course you are going to get a blank page :)
    >>

    > lol

    Is this alt.html.sarcasm

    I thought the idea was to help not mock. We are not all experts.

    I do hope that none of the sarcastic posters here, teach for a living.

    Tom, Feb 16, 2005
  6. On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:19:59 -0000, Tom <> wrote:

    > "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:47:05 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hmmm. Tables within tables.
    >>>
    >>> The one you want to print is nested. The one you hide is the outermost
    >>> one.
    >>> Of course you are going to get a blank page :)
    >>>

    >> lol
    >>

    > Is this alt.html.sarcasm
    >
    > I thought the idea was to help not mock. We are not all experts.
    >
    > I do hope that none of the sarcastic posters here, teach for a living.

    Now this is where your thinking needs a rivision. None of us are here to
    teach. Neither is this a helpdesk.

    While 'mocking', you were given a valuable tip by <rf> Richard. You cannot
    hide a table and then expect a part of that table to be printed. That is a
    pretty streight forward hint. What is it you do not understand?

    Barbara de Zoete, Feb 16, 2005
  7. Tom

    rf Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote

    > "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:47:05 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hmmm. Tables within tables.
    > >>
    > >> The one you want to print is nested. The one you hide is the outermost
    > >> one.
    > >> Of course you are going to get a blank page :)
    > >>

    > > lol

    > Is this alt.html.sarcasm

    No, this is alt.html where you either get your question answered
    (serendipitously) or you dont.

    If you do then think yourself lucky. If you don't then bad luck.

    > I thought the idea was to help not mock. We are not all experts.

    The 24x7 help desk is over there -->. Get your credit card out.

    > I do hope that none of the sarcastic posters here, teach for a living.

    So do I. Those who can do. Those who cannot teach.

    What is your bloody problem. You have your answer. You hid a table and then
    expected something within that table to be visible. Your markup is wrong.
    Accept the answer and move on.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Feb 16, 2005
  8. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Civility costs nothing that is all I'm saying.

    I was only looking for help and if I can help someone in return I would do
    it.

    I have read a lot of postings on this newsgroup and it does seem that
    whenever someone asks a genuine question that is perceived by experts as
    worth some ridicule, the poor poster gets unhelpful comments and mocked.
    If you can't be positive then don't reply to someone's post.

    My point about teaching was borne from annoyance that I got the reponses I
    got where sarcastic and condascending. It was making more a comment on
    peoples atittude that it was on teaching

    I take on board the comments and will look at removing the tables and using
    CSS.

    I hope you all have a lovely day

    Tom, Feb 16, 2005
  9. Tom

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:19:59 -0000, "Tom" <> wrote:

    >Is this alt.html.sarcasm

    No, that's c.i.w.ah. If you think this was sarcastic, try posting
    anything over there

    It annoys me too - it's not as if we're short of _real_ idiots to vent
    our frustrations on.

    Andy Dingley, Feb 16, 2005
  10. Tom

    Matt Clara Guest

    "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Tom" <> wrote
    >
    >> "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message

    >> > lol

    >> Is this alt.html.sarcasm

    > No, this is alt.html where you either get your question answered
    > (serendipitously) or you dont.
    >
    > If you do then think yourself lucky. If you don't then bad luck.
    >
    >> I thought the idea was to help not mock. We are not all experts.

    > The 24x7 help desk is over there -->. Get your credit card out.
    >
    >> I do hope that none of the sarcastic posters here, teach for a living.

    > So do I. Those who can do. Those who cannot teach.

    Spoken like an ignorant jackass.

    > What is your bloody problem. You have your answer. You hid a table and
    > then
    > expected something within that table to be visible. Your markup is wrong.
    > Accept the answer and move on.

    Yeah, but you don't have to condescend while doing it. Pretty cheap high
    your trying to give yourself, don't you think?

    > --
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Cheers
    Matt

    Matt Clara, Feb 17, 2005
  11. Tom

    rf Guest

    "Matt Clara" <> wrote

    > > >Is this alt.html.sarcasm
    > > >I thought the idea was to help not mock. We are not all experts.
    > > >I do hope that none of the sarcastic posters here, teach for a living.

    > > What is your bloody problem. You have your answer. You hid a table and
    > > then
    > > expected something within that table to be visible. Your markup is

    wrong.
    > > Accept the answer and move on.

    > Yeah, but you don't have to condescend while doing it. Pretty cheap high
    > your trying to give yourself, don't you think?

    And just where is the condescending bit in my original reply? In fact it
    was Tom who started in with a swipe against me and all the others here. Not
    a good way to get answers to questions round here!

    I gave what I thought to be a somewhat humorous reply (which is why I
    included the emoticon, to make it obviously amusing) to something that
    should have been bloody obvious (although I did no say that at the time).
    What is more obvious now IMHO is that Tom did not like being called out on
    such a trivial mistake and totally missed the tone of my post. At least
    Barbara thought it funny and she is, well, Barbara.

    As to humour, are you and Tom's of a different brand to mine (possible as I
    am Australian)? If so then I simply do not give a damn.

    And where is *your* solution to the problem, Matt?

    Oh, BTW welcome to usenet. Please return here when you have something
    constuctive to contribute. Meanwhile get a life.

    rf, Feb 17, 2005
  12. Tom

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:08:39 GMT, "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    : Oh, BTW welcome to usenet. Please return here when you have something
    : constuctive to contribute. Meanwhile get a life.

    LOL

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Feb 17, 2005
  13. Tom

    rf Guest

    "Sid Ismail" <> wrote
    > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:08:39 GMT, "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > : Oh, BTW welcome to usenet. Please return here when you have something
    > : constuctive to contribute. Meanwhile get a life.

    > LOL

    Yo Sid. A long time since we have conversed.

    I was trying to be cranky. Did I say something funny?

    rf, Feb 17, 2005
  14. Tom

    > "Matt Clara" <> wrote

    >> > What is your bloody problem. You have your answer. You hid a table and
    >> > then
    >> > expected something within that table to be visible. Your markup is

    > wrong.
    >> > Accept the answer and move on.

    >> Yeah, but you don't have to condescend while doing it. Pretty cheap high
    >> your trying to give yourself, don't you think?

    > And just where is the condescending bit in my original reply? In fact it
    > was Tom who started in with a swipe against me and all the others here.
    > Not
    > a good way to get answers to questions round here!
    >
    > I gave what I thought to be a somewhat humorous reply (which is why I
    > included the emoticon, to make it obviously amusing) to something that
    > should have been bloody obvious (although I did no say that at the time).
    > What is more obvious now IMHO is that Tom did not like being called out on
    > such a trivial mistake and totally missed the tone of my post. At least
    > Barbara thought it funny and she is, well, Barbara.
    >
    > As to humour, are you and Tom's of a different brand to mine (possible as
    > am Australian)? If so then I simply do not give a damn.
    >
    > And where is *your* solution to the problem, Matt?
    >
    > Oh, BTW welcome to usenet. Please return here when you have something
    > constuctive to contribute. Meanwhile get a life.

    Well, you're right, I shouldn't have railed against you as I did. However,
    there is a clear problem with condescending attitudes on this group, and I'd
    spent the last hour wading through them when I posted my comments. When Tom
    (who probably also had been wading through them for some time) spoke up
    against it, I simply had to agree.

    What are these condescending people doing here if not trying to help people
    by filling in info they don't have? Are they just here for info themselves?
    Barbara de Zoete in particular goes out of her way to rip newbies new
    assholes on a daily basis. And I don't buy into that whole "This isn't the
    help desk" crap. Usenet is specifically for this purpose, the sharing of
    information. If they're opposed to newbie questions, why not start a group
    called alt.html.advanced, and then go there? They can congratulate each
    other on their ivory tower and never have to answer any questions again,
    unless it be on some exoteric topics that only about 1% or less of the
    people in the whole world could possibly have an answer to. Doesn't that
    sound like fun...

    ps. I've been coming to usenet for 6 years now, thanks. this group really
    does have a problem with its superior attitudes, whether you think it does
    or not. I also run the Michigan Department of Agriculture's website for a
    living, so I have plenty to contribute, the first thing being pointing out
    that this group sucks on attitude.

    Matt Clara, Feb 17, 2005
  15. in alt.html, Matt Clara wrote:

    Where is *your* answer to question

    > What are these condescending people doing here if not trying to help people
    > by filling in info they don't have? Are they just here for info themselves?
    > Barbara de Zoete in particular goes out of her way to rip newbies new
    > assholes on a daily basis. And I don't buy into that whole "This isn't the
    > help desk" crap. Usenet is specifically for this purpose, the sharing of
    > information.

    Well, you don't seem to be sharing it. How many questions you have
    answered? I bet is ten times less than Barbara. So untill you know
    everything and answer to all dump questions *correctly*, don't say this
    is help desk. This is discussion group.

    > If they're opposed to newbie questions, why not start a group
    > called alt.html.advanced, and then go there?

    We have nothing against newbies for HTML. We have something against
    newbies for usenet/this newsgroup that don't know what it is, and get
    angry when someone does not answer his/her question the way he would
    like.

    > They can congratulate each
    > other on their ivory tower and never have to answer any questions again,
    > unless it be on some exoteric topics that only about 1% or less of the
    > people in the whole world could possibly have an answer to. Doesn't that
    > sound like fun...

    It is not good idea to give spoonfed answers, if you don't want people to
    ask that kind of questions.

    > ps. I've been coming to usenet for 6 years now, thanks. this group really
    > does have a problem with its superior attitudes, whether you think it does
    > or not. I also run the Michigan Department of Agriculture's website for a
    > living, so I have plenty to contribute, the first thing being pointing out
    > that this group sucks on attitude.

    The thing is, you don't contribute much. That you could potentually
    contribute is not really much help. If you feel that newbies should be
    spoonfed, then do it. If you don't feel like it either, don't write
    bullshit about attitudes.

    Utrecht, NL.

    Lauri Raittila, Feb 17, 2005
  16. On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:40:17 GMT, Matt Clara <> wrote:

    > Usenet is specifically for this purpose, the sharing of
    > information.

    Sharing information is a possible use of usenet newsgroups. Discussion and
    debate is another. Anouncements a next. Asking questions and answering them yet
    another. And more probably.

    The archieves of this group and other web authoring groups are vast and filled
    with very valuable information. You say you waded through the post to a while
    back. You must have noticed how many questions get repeated over and over again

    Of the top of my head:
    'good book'
    'center a div'
    'table vs. css' aka layers (yak)
    'open a new window'
    'print css'
    'mp3' or other objects
    'table cell dimensions'
    '&amp;' or &lt; et cetera
    'Why doesn't this validate?'
    'urgent question from a noob' and all variations on that theme
    'Why doesn't FF display proparly? IE does !!!'

    All questions to which a good answer is available from these groups if only the
    one looking for the answer would at least give it one try at Google.groups
    archive. All those answers, acumulated over years and years of valuable
    discussion, available to all, and you think this group doesn't share knowlegde?

    But no, many come in for a hit-and-run, a
    quick-and-I-don't-give-a-damn-if-it's-dirty-if-only-it-works-in-IE6-because-99%-of-my-visitors-use-IE6
    question&solution routine with a and-I-want-it-now!! attitude. How does this
    contribute to the grand goal of sharing knowlegde? Hmmm?

    Mind you: Many but _not all_. There are those that have a problem, have studied
    some on a possible solution, but just got stuck somehow. They lurked here for a
    bit probably, learned a lot already by doing so, about techniques and group
    communication both.
    Just don't get the full concept for what they try with their pages yet. Doesn't
    matter, takes time, years possibly, to really master the lot (and then find out
    all has changed). Those start _participating_. Participation is a key word here.
    Nobody minds someone not knowing something.

    I'm all for sharing knowledge. Where's your contribution, so highly valued by
    yourself?

    Barbara de Zoete, Feb 17, 2005
  17. Tom

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:09:11 GMT, "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    : "Sid Ismail" <> wrote
    : > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:08:39 GMT, "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:
    : >
    : > : Oh, BTW welcome to usenet. Please return here when you have something
    : > : constuctive to contribute. Meanwhile get a life.
    :
    : > LOL
    :
    : Yo Sid. A long time since we have conversed.
    :
    : I was trying to be cranky. Did I say something funny?

    Yo!

    'tis not often you get _that_ cranky. But I do understand how one
    feels when someone takes a swipe at another just to get on the LOL
    list, without contributing anything constructive. Your reaction was
    apt, of course, but a trifle amusing nevertheless. :))

    Keep up the good work here in alt.html.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Feb 17, 2005
  18. Tom

    Sid Ismail Guest

    wrote:

    : What are these condescending people doing here if not trying to help people
    : by filling in info they don't have? Are they just here for info themselves?
    : Barbara de Zoete in particular goes out of her way to rip newbies new
    : assholes on a daily basis.

    Barbara's posts were all very constructive, and when she ripped
    newbies (as you put it) it's because they didn't read the question
    or/and post properly. Barbara's posts are very helpful _if_ you
    decide to read them a trifle slower trying to understand them.

    'Tis the next best thing to a 24x7 helpdesk. :)

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Feb 17, 2005
  19. [OT] Re: Print CSS

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:58:57 +0200, Sid Ismail <> wrote:

    > Barbara's posts were all very constructive, and when she ripped
    > newbies (as you put it) it's because they didn't read the question
    > or/and post properly. Barbara's posts are very helpful _if_ you
    > decide to read them a trifle slower trying to understand them.

    Spots a learning opportunity:
    '.. _if_ you decide to read them a trifle slower trying to understand them.'

    Do you care to clarify please? The 'read them a trifle slower' bit? Why read
    slower?

    Barbara de Zoete, Feb 17, 2005
  20. Tom

    Tom Guest

    If I am coming to the wrong place to learn, read, ask discuss etc,. html
    then can someone supply a link to a good resource. In particular somwhere I
    can discuss html with other like minded people to learn more about it.

    I am not looking for an html class, book or static website, but somewhere I
    can ask and get feedback and hopefully share knowledge, tips, good practice
    etc,.

    Also can I have the url for the guidelines for using this newsgroup.

    Please only genuine responses please.

    I would also like to know how to search the archive.

    and for the record I am not here just to get a free help desk. I share what
    I learn with others like myself who are working on various sites, all non
    profit. Our aim is to develop our skills. If I want sarcasm then I've got
    my 8 year old.

    Tom, Feb 18, 2005