Print envelope

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Curt_C [MVP], Jun 27, 2005.

  1. Curt_C [MVP]

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    David C wrote:
    > We have a classic ASP intranet web site that has been around for a while.
    > Our customer wants to be able to print an envelope from the contact name and
    > address table. We have other reports that we display and print from the
    > HTML generated by our ASP code, but have not been able to find any way to
    > format a page and print to an envelope. Can anyone help? Thanks.
    >
    > David

    Print it where? on the server or client? Unless you are just saying you
    want to layout the HTML so that the user can print the site/page? If so
    you will really want to get away from that. Look at using a third party
    addin/component like Crystal to format printings and such.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    site: http://www.darkfalz.com

    David C, Jun 27, 2005

  3. Curt_C [MVP]

    David Guest

    Yes, at the client. This client is very restricted and all people have
    Microsoft Word and all are using IE6. Does that help?

    David

    David, Jun 27, 2005
  4. Curt_C [MVP]

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    David wrote:
    > Yes, at the client. This client is very restricted and all people have
    > Microsoft Word and all are using IE6. Does that help?
    >
    > David

    Not really...I mean you have almost zero ability to do things on the
    client, its a fundamental for security. Without a third party
    control/component on the client you are limited to just formatting the
    HTML result... you can do some with StyleSheets(CSS) and such, to show
    it differently but in the end there is only so much you can tweak.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    site: http://www.darkfalz.com

    Curt_C [MVP], Jun 27, 2005
  5. Curt_C [MVP]

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "David C"
    <> writing in

    > We have a classic ASP intranet web site that has been around for a
    > while. Our customer wants to be able to print an envelope from the
    > contact name and address table. We have other reports that we display
    > and print from the HTML generated by our ASP code, but have not been
    > able to find any way to format a page and print to an envelope. Can
    > anyone help? Thanks.
    >
    > David

    You could try a little CSS:

    @media screen {
    body {font-size:100%;}
    }
    @media print
    {
    @page {width:9.5in; height:4.125in}
    body {width:8.5in; height:3.125in; font-size:10pt}
    div#address {margin-left:5in}
    ..noprint {display:none}
    }
    </head>
    record</p>
    <%=addressinfo%>

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Curt_C [MVP]

    David Guest

    David, Jun 30, 2005
  7. Curt_C [MVP]

    David Guest

    David, Jun 30, 2005
  8. Curt_C [MVP]

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed David <> writing
    in news::

    > I have never used the @ sign in CSS. What does it do?
    >
    > David

    @media print
    {
    /* tells the UA this is for printing */
    }
    @page
    {
    /* tells the printer what kind of paper to use */
    }
    @media aural
    {
    /* used for screen readers and such, although most of them use IE's
    rendering engine and ignore it :.( */
    }

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html#q1

    Adrienne, Jul 1, 2005
  9. Curt_C [MVP]

    Adrienne Guest

    Adrienne, Jul 1, 2005
  10. Curt_C [MVP]

    David Guest

    Below is my test page and it does not print in landscape.

    <head>
    <title></title>

    <!--
    .startpos {
    position: absolute;
    width: 350px;
    font-family: Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: 18px;
    top: 120px;
    left: 300px;}

    .verticaltext {writing-mode: tb-rl; filter: fliph flipv;}

    @media screen {
    body {font-size:100%;}
    }
    @media print
    {
    @page rotated {size: landscape; width:9.5in; height:4.125in}
    body {width:8.5in; height:3.125in; font-size:10pt}
    div#address {margin-left:4in; margin-top:1.75in; font-size: 16px}
    ..noprint {display:none}
    }
    -->

    </head>