Print Label on LOCAL Zebra Printer from WEBSITE Inventory DB

Guest

I have developed a web-based inventory system for my estate jewelry business
using ASP.Net 2.0 and Microsoft SQLServer. The inventory database is also the
basis of my website (www.lookwhatifound.biz). I want to print jewelry tags on
a local Zebra printer with the label consisting of fields from the web-based
SQLServer database.

I'm pretty sure I can create the label as a file using ZPL and download the
file using the RESPONSE object.

How can I direct Internet Explorer to send the downloaded file to the (USB)
Zebra printer?

Security isn't a big issue here, since the database maintenance pages are
accessable only to me and this program will only run on my computer.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Paul Buzza

Guest

"Paul Buzza, oldster using new tools"
[...]

Paul, I think you can create a desktop agent which can from time to time
connect to your online database and print the label.

Some kind of a thick client would do the trick.
Perhaps an embedded activex control or windows forms control.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,

"Paul Buzza, oldster using new tools"

Guest

Thanks, Steve. I think that would work. I've found a piece of software
(Printfil) that will do the print function, so I just need to store the file
into a specific directory. Having never written an ActiveX control, I looked
for tutorials, and they seem to use the VB development envoronment. I used
the free MS tools (Visual Web Developer Express) to create the site; would
Visual Studio Express be a tool I could use to develop a very simple control
that would save a file to a specific directory on the local computer?

Steve C. Orr [MCSD said:
[...]

you can't do that because of security reasons