Print / page dimensions

craigslist.jg

I'm in the process of building an "Internet Explorer" specific based
Intranet site. One of the requirements is to print a footer at the
bottom of each page when they print out a particular document.

Any way to access the client's page dimensions as observed when you
click "print preview" ? It'd be nice to obtain at least the page
"height" sans the header / footer area.

The best I could do, with a lot of trial and error, is get a pixel
height that seems to work in most of our user's environments. Although
sometimes you're left with more "blank space" at the bottom, it
generally seems to work. I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone has
ran into anything like this.

Thanks.

The Natural Philosopher

I'm in the process of building an "Internet Explorer" specific based
Intranet site. One of the requirements is to print a footer at the
bottom of each page when they print out a particular document.

Any way to access the client's page dimensions as observed when you
click "print preview" ? It'd be nice to obtain at least the page
"height" sans the header / footer area.

The best I could do, with a lot of trial and error, is get a pixel
height that seems to work in most of our user's environments. Although
sometimes you're left with more "blank space" at the bottom, it
generally seems to work. I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone has
ran into anything like this.

Well I am sort of engaged in this right now: However I completely
sidestepped the problem and do it all server side.

I.e all docs are generated by PHP server side, and each user is
detected, and his favorite printer set up as a queue on the same server,
driving the printers over the network.

PHP generates postcript files and spits them to the users local printq.

No javascript at all, in this instance!

I mention it because it was the only way I could guarantee clean
uncluttered print output for things like invoices and delivery notes etc.

Over a WAN I'd generate PDFS and get the user to download & print them.,
or maybe RTF.