print to STDOUT works but FH1 does not with FIFO named pipe

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Rocky, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    hello everyone. I have a problem and I need assistance. this script
    prints output to STDOUT just fine but for some reason will no print to FH1
    or FH2. I am wondering if it prints the data to memory then writes it out
    to the file at close.

    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use warnings;
    use strict;
    open(FH3,"</var/run/syslogdpipe") or die "$!\n"; #this is a fifo
    open(FH1,">./mx0out");`
    open(FH2,">./mx1out");
    while (<FH3>)
    {
    my $line = $_;
    if ($line =~ /^.*svr-linux.*$/)
    {
    print "mx00 $line\n";
    }
    elsif ($line =~ /^.*192\.168.*$/)
    {
    print "mx01 $line\n";

    Rocky, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Rocky wrote:

    > hello everyone. I have a problem and I need assistance. this script
    > prints output to STDOUT just fine but for some reason will no print to FH1
    > or FH2.

    > open(FH1,">./mx0out");
    > open(FH2,">./mx1out");

    Always, *always* check the return value from open().

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 14, 2004

  3. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:48:24 -0700, Purl Gurl wrote:

    > Rocky wrote:
    >
    >> I have a problem and I need assistance.

    > Can't find string terminator "`" anywhere before EOF at test.pl line 6.
    >

    > Purl Gurl

    ???
    Is that an error that you get while trying to run the script? I do not
    get the same thing and I can see no place where it might occurr. Please
    explain.
    thank you,
    Rocky

    Rocky, Jul 14, 2004
  4. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:34:10 -0400, Sherm Pendley wrote:

    > Rocky wrote:
    >
    >> hello everyone. I have a problem and I need assistance. this script
    >> prints output to STDOUT just fine but for some reason will no print to FH1
    >> or FH2.

    >> open(FH1,">./mx0out")or die "$!\n";
    >> open(FH2,">./mx1out")or die "$!\n";

    > Always, *always* check the return value from open().
    >
    > sherm--

    thank you. The files open and the script even works when the input file
    is not a named pipe. the script will print to STDOUT when the FH1 and FH2
    statements are removed
    i.e. print "$line\n"; instead of print FH1 "$line\n";

    Rocky, Jul 14, 2004
  5. Rocky

    Paul Lalli Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Rocky wrote:

    > hello everyone. I have a problem and I need assistance. this script
    > prints output to STDOUT just fine but for some reason will no print to FH1
    > or FH2. I am wondering if it prints the data to memory then writes it out
    > to the file at close.

    No. Printing is generally line-buffered. That is, the data is printed
    after every new-line character.

    > #!/usr/bin/perl
    > use warnings;
    > use strict;
    > open(FH3,"</var/run/syslogdpipe") or die "$!\n"; #this is a fifo
    > open(FH1,">./mx0out");`
    > open(FH2,">./mx1out");

    Always, always, *always* check the return value of open(), just like you
    did for the first open. You have no idea whether or not these files are
    actually being opened, or if there was an error of some kind.

    > while (<FH3>)
    > {
    > my $line = $_;

    Please fix your indenting. Read:
    perldoc perlstyle

    > if ($line =~ /^.*svr-linux.*$/)
    > {
    > print "mx00 $line\n";

    You're not printing to the filehandles here. What makes you think any
    output should be printed to the files?

    > }
    > elsif ($line =~ /^.*192\.168.*$/)
    > {
    > print "mx01 $line\n";

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Jul 14, 2004
  6. Rocky <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:48:24 -0700, Purl Gurl wrote:
    >
    >> Rocky wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a problem and I need assistance.

    >> Can't find string terminator "`" anywhere before EOF at test.pl line
    >> 6.
    >>
    >> Purl Gurl

    > ???
    > Is that an error that you get while trying to run the script? I do
    > not get the same thing and I can see no place where it might occurr.
    > Please explain. thank you,
    > Rocky

    Check your posting carefully:

    >>> open(FH1,">./mx0out");`

    See those few pixels at the end of the line ... That's an extra
    character.

    --
    A. Sinan Unur

    A. Sinan Unur, Jul 14, 2004
  7. Rocky

    Paul Lalli Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Rocky wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:48:24 -0700, Purl Gurl wrote:
    >
    > > Rocky wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have a problem and I need assistance.

    > > Can't find string terminator "`" anywhere before EOF at test.pl line 6.
    > >

    > > Purl Gurl

    > ???
    > Is that an error that you get while trying to run the script? I do not
    > get the same thing and I can see no place where it might occurr. Please
    > explain.
    > thank you,
    > Rocky

    In your post, you accidentally typed a ` character after line 6 of the
    code. It clearly does not belong there.

    If you re-typed your code into the post, don't do that. Always copy &
    paste your actual code.

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Jul 14, 2004
  8. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:11:44 -0400, Paul Lalli wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Rocky wrote:
    >
    >> hello everyone. I have a problem and I need assistance. this script
    >> prints output to STDOUT just fine but for some reason will no print to FH1
    >> or FH2. I am wondering if it prints the data to memory then writes it out
    >> to the file at close.

    > No. Printing is generally line-buffered. That is, the data is printed
    > after every new-line character.
    >

    >> #!/usr/bin/perl
    >> use warnings;
    >> use strict;
    >> open(FH3,"</var/run/syslogdpipe") or die "$!\n"; #this is a fifo
    >> open(FH1,">./mx0out");`
    >> open(FH2,">./mx1out");

    > Always, always, *always* check the return value of open(), just like you
    > did for the first open. You have no idea whether or not these files are
    > actually being opened, or if there was an error of some kind.
    >
    >> while (<FH3>)
    >> {
    >> my $line = $_;

    > Please fix your indenting. Read:
    > perldoc perlstyle
    >

    >> if ($line =~ /^.*svr-linux.*$/)
    >> {
    >> print "mx00 $line\n";

    > You're not printing to the filehandles here. What makes you think any
    > output should be printed to the files?
    >
    >> }
    >> elsif ($line =~ /^.*192\.168.*$/)
    >> {
    >> print "mx01 $line\n";
    >> }
    >> }

    > Paul Lalli

    My mistake. I left the FH1 and FH2 out of the posted code. When I run
    this script and just print it to standard out the data will stream
    perfectly as it comes in from the FIFO. If I print it to FH1,FH2 and tail
    -f the output files I get nothing. That, I guess, is what I should have
    said from the beginning
    thank you,
    Rocky

    Rocky, Jul 14, 2004
  9. Rocky

    Paul Lalli Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Rocky wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:34:10 -0400, Sherm Pendley wrote:
    >
    > > Rocky wrote:
    > >
    > >> hello everyone. I have a problem and I need assistance. this script
    > >> prints output to STDOUT just fine but for some reason will no print to FH1
    > >> or FH2.

    > >> open(FH1,">./mx0out")or die "$!\n";
    > >> open(FH2,">./mx1out")or die "$!\n";

    > > Always, *always* check the return value from open().
    > >
    > > sherm--

    > thank you. The files open and the script even works when the input file
    > is not a named pipe. the script will print to STDOUT when the FH1 and FH2
    > statements are removed
    > i.e. print "$line\n"; instead of print FH1 "$line\n";

    Post your full, runnable code that is showing the error. Do not post code
    that tells us "this works, but if you change ____, it stops." Show us the
    code that doesn't work.

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Jul 14, 2004
  10. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:13:37 +0000, A. Sinan Unur wrote:

    > Rocky <> wrote in

    >>> Can't find string terminator "`" anywhere before EOF at test.pl line
    >>> 6.
    >>>
    >>> Purl Gurl

    >> ???
    >> Is that an error that you get while trying to run the script? I do
    >> not get the same thing and I can see no place where it might occurr.
    >> Please explain. thank you,
    >> Rocky

    > Check your posting carefully:

    > See those few pixels at the end of the line ... That's an extra
    > character.

    Indeed it is. Thank you for pointing that out. Please forgive me.
    you have cracked the case. My compliments on a job well done. Cornell
    sucks

    Rocky, Jul 14, 2004
  11. Rocky

    Paul Lalli Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Rocky wrote:

    > My mistake. I left the FH1 and FH2 out of the posted code. When I run
    > this script and just print it to standard out the data will stream
    > perfectly as it comes in from the FIFO. If I print it to FH1,FH2 and tail
    > -f the output files I get nothing. That, I guess, is what I should have
    > said from the beginning

    As I said in my last post, show us your code. We can't debug something on
    your assertion that it should work. We have to see the actual code you're
    using. Show us the code that you think should work, but does not.

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Jul 14, 2004
  12. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:16:48 -0700, Purl Gurl wrote:

    > Paul Lalli wrote:
    >
    >> Rocky wrote:

    > (snipped)

    >> In your post, you accidentally typed a ` character after line 6 of the
    >> code. It clearly does not belong there.

    > Bit of a stretch that, but not your words.
    >
    > For a typist to type a grave accent, she (typical typist gender)
    > must stretch her little finger upward and leftward, quite a good
    > distance, while keeping her left index finger on the f key, and
    > if limber, both left thumb and right thumb pressed against the
    > bottom edge of her spacebar.
    >
    > It is very difficult to accidently type the least noticable key,
    > a grave accent, even if typical masculine index finger poking
    > style typing.
    >
    > Last character typed is a semicolon, next would be Enter, with
    > both on the far right edge of keyboard standard keys. To
    > suddenly stretch upward and to the left, illogical and
    > rather suggestive; very difficult to be accidental, even
    > for BoBo The Clown.
    >

    > Purl Gurl

    Not a typo -- a feature of my broken keyboard -- free `backticks` every
    few hundred characters it is 6 years old but I like it because it has
    "clicky keys" that make me sound like a good typist

    Rocky, Jul 14, 2004
  13. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:10:58 -0400, Paul Lalli wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Rocky wrote:
    >
    >> My mistake. I left the FH1 and FH2 out of the posted code. When I run
    >> this script and just print it to standard out the data will stream
    >> perfectly as it comes in from the FIFO. If I print it to FH1,FH2 and tail
    >> -f the output files I get nothing. That, I guess, is what I should have
    >> said from the beginning

    > As I said in my last post, show us your code. We can't debug something on
    > your assertion that it should work. We have to see the actual code you're
    > using. Show us the code that you think should work, but does not.
    >
    > Paul Lalli

    so posted sir.

    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use warnings;
    use strict;
    $| = 1;
    #open(FH3,"</var/run/syslogdpipe") or die "$!\n";
    open(FH3,"</storage/tempmail") or die "$!\n";
    open(FH1,">./mx0out") or die "$!\n";
    open(FH2,">./mx1out") or die "$!\n";
    while (<FH3>)
    {
    my $line = $_;
    if ($line =~ /^.*svr-linux.*$/)
    {
    print FH1 "mx00 $line\n";
    }
    elsif ($line =~ /^.*192\.168.*$/)
    {
    print FH2 "mx01 $line\n";

    Rocky, Jul 14, 2004
  14. Rocky <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:13:37 +0000, A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >
    >> Rocky <> wrote in

    >>> ???
    >>> Is that an error that you get while trying to run the script? I do
    >>> not get the same thing and I can see no place where it might occurr.
    >>> Please explain. thank you,
    >>> Rocky

    >> Check your posting carefully:

    >> See those few pixels at the end of the line ... That's an extra
    >> character.

    > Indeed it is. Thank you for pointing that out. Please forgive me.
    > you have cracked the case. My compliments on a job well done. Cornell
    > sucks

    Well, especially since you seemed to be aware of your keyboard's tendency
    to produce extra unwanted characters, maybe you should have checked your
    post for those characters before claiming you could see nothing in your
    posted code that would have caused the error message noted by Purl Gurl.

    BTW, your attitude does not work in your favor.

    --
    A. Sinan Unur

    A. Sinan Unur, Jul 14, 2004
  15. Rocky

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Purl Gurl" <> wrote in message
    > Purl Gurl wrote:
    >
    > > ...least noticable key,

    > Noticeable noticable, a hazard of typing at
    > Warp 9 speed.

    Doesn't say much for your English skills if that is the only error you think
    is worth correcting.

    Matt

    p.s. If you want to know why you never see your students again after the
    first lesson, it's because one lesson is enough to establish that they know
    more than the teacher.

    Matt Garrish, Jul 14, 2004
  16. Rocky

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Rocky" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:10:58 -0400, Paul Lalli wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Rocky wrote:
    > >
    > >> My mistake. I left the FH1 and FH2 out of the posted code. When I run
    > >> this script and just print it to standard out the data will stream
    > >> perfectly as it comes in from the FIFO. If I print it to FH1,FH2 and

    tail
    > >> -f the output files I get nothing. That, I guess, is what I should

    have
    > >> said from the beginning

    > > As I said in my last post, show us your code. We can't debug something

    on
    > > your assertion that it should work. We have to see the actual code

    you're
    > > using. Show us the code that you think should work, but does not.
    > >
    > > Paul Lalli

    > so posted sir.
    >
    > #!/usr/bin/perl
    > use warnings;
    > use strict;
    > $| = 1;
    > #open(FH3,"</var/run/syslogdpipe") or die "$!\n";
    > open(FH3,"</storage/tempmail") or die "$!\n";
    > open(FH1,">./mx0out") or die "$!\n";
    > open(FH2,">./mx1out") or die "$!\n";
    > while (<FH3>)
    > {
    > my $line = $_;
    > if ($line =~ /^.*svr-linux.*$/)
    > {
    > print FH1 "mx00 $line\n";
    > }
    > elsif ($line =~ /^.*192\.168.*$/)
    > {
    > print FH2 "mx01 $line\n";

    Are you closing the filehandles? That would be my guess as to why you aren't
    seeing any output in the files.

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Jul 14, 2004
  17. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:21:28 +0000, A. Sinan Unur wrote:

    > Rocky <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:13:37 +0000, A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >>
    >>> Rocky <> wrote in

    >>> Check your posting carefully:

    >>> See those few pixels at the end of the line ... That's an extra
    >>> character.

    >> Indeed it is. Thank you for pointing that out. Please forgive me.
    >> you have cracked the case. My compliments on a job well done. Cornell
    >> sucks

    > Well, especially since you seemed to be aware of your keyboard's tendency
    > to produce extra unwanted characters, maybe you should have checked your
    > post for those characters before claiming you could see nothing in your
    > posted code that would have caused the error message noted by Purl Gurl.
    >
    > BTW, your attitude does not work in your favor.

    *this thread has not worked in my favor either*

    I have checked out a few of the posters to this thread on google and you all seem to be very
    intelligent people. Most instruct or teach in some form or another. Yet
    you waste time and energy picking on the smallest error as though you were
    larry wall himself. Please do not help me if that is your attitude.
    There are 15 posts in this thread already and no one has addressed the
    question that I have asked. There are many people who
    really want to help. You sir, do not seem to be one. So to you I say
    this. Cornell sucks because it produces people like you

    Rocky, Jul 14, 2004
  18. Rocky <> wrote in

    > so posted sir.
    >
    > #!/usr/bin/perl
    > use warnings;
    > use strict;
    > $| = 1;

    I do not think there is any point to this. You are not printing anything
    to STDOUT.

    > #open(FH3,"</var/run/syslogdpipe") or die "$!\n";

    Check the difference between

    die "Error: $!\n";

    and

    die "Error: $!";

    Most of the time, it is better not to use the newline.

    > open(FH3,"</storage/tempmail") or die "$!\n";
    > open(FH1,">./mx0out") or die "$!\n";
    > open(FH2,">./mx1out") or die "$!\n";
    > while (<FH3>)
    > {
    > my $line = $_;

    The idiom for this is

    while(my $line = <FH3>)

    > if ($line =~ /^.*svr-linux.*$/)
    > {
    > print FH1 "mx00 $line\n";
    > }
    > elsif ($line =~ /^.*192\.168.*$/)
    > {
    > print FH2 "mx01 $line\n";

    Please post properly formatted code.

    use warnings;
    use strict;

    open my $fh1, '>', './mx0out' or die $!;
    open my $fh2, '>', './mx1out' or die $!;

    while( <DATA> ) {
    if( /^.*svr-linux.*$/ ) {
    print $fh1 "mx00 $_";
    } elsif( /^.*192\.168.*$/ ) {
    print $fh2 "mx01 $_";

    close $fh2 or die $!;
    close $fh1 or die $!;

    __DATA__
    sayudtauysdtyutasdsvr-linuxsaldfjksdfj
    ksjadhfuysdtyutasdsvr-linuxsaldfjksdfj
    sayudtaskjdfhutasdsvr-linuxsaldfjksdfj
    192.168.1.1
    192.168.1.2
    34.234.32.4

    C:\Home> ttt.pl

    C:\Home\> cat mx0out
    mx00 sayudtauysdtyutasdsvr-linuxsaldfjksdfj
    mx00 ksjadhfuysdtyutasdsvr-linuxsaldfjksdfj
    mx00 sayudtaskjdfhutasdsvr-linuxsaldfjksdfj

    C:\Home> cat mx1out
    mx01 192.168.1.1
    mx01 192.168.1.2

    --
    A. Sinan Unur

    A. Sinan Unur, Jul 14, 2004
  19. I am going to rearrange this post a little bit to clarify what happened
    here.

    To which you responded

    I pointed out to you what was causing the error message about which you
    seemed to be confused.

    If your response to that is:

    Rocky <> wrote in

    > Yet you waste time and energy picking on the smallest error
    > as though you were larry wall himself. Please do not help
    > me if that is your attitude. There are 15 posts in this thread
    > already and no one has addressed the question that I have asked.
    > There are many people who really want to help. You sir, do not
    > seem to be one. So to you I say this. Cornell sucks because it
    > produces people like you

    I am happy as long as they pay my salary.
    --
    A. Sinan Unur

    A. Sinan Unur, Jul 14, 2004
  20. Rocky

    Rocky Allen Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:38:14 +0000, A. Sinan Unur wrote:

    > I am going to rearrange this post a little bit to clarify what happened
    > here.

    > To which you responded

    > I pointed out to you what was causing the error message about which you
    > seemed to be confused.
    >
    > If your response to that is:
    >
    > Rocky <> wrote in
    >
    >> Yet you waste time and energy picking on the smallest error
    >> as though you were larry wall himself. Please do not help
    >> me if that is your attitude. There are 15 posts in this thread
    >> already and no one has addressed the question that I have asked.
    >> There are many people who really want to help. You sir, do not
    >> seem to be one. So to you I say this. Cornell sucks because it
    >> produces people like you

    > I am happy as long as they pay my salary.

    Yeah, I guess that is what it's all about.

    your results in the other section of this thread duplicate mine exactly.
    The problem does not occurr when I read in a file. It occurrs when I read
    from a named pipe which is what /var/run/syslogdpipe is. Anyway, thank
    you for your help and have a great day. It might be faster just to read
    the book. :)

    Rocky Allen, Jul 14, 2004