print vs sys.stdout.write, and UnicodeError

Brent Lievers

Greetings,

I have observed the following (python 2.5.1):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in
position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

Is this correct? My understanding is that print ultimately calls
sys.stdout.write anyway, so I'm confused as to why the Unicode error
occurs in the second case. Can someone explain?

Thanks,

Brent

Martin Marcher

25 Oct 2007 17:37:01 GMT said:
Greetings,

I have observed the following (python 2.5.1):

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in
position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

Is this correct? My understanding is that print ultimately calls
sys.stdout.write anyway, so I'm confused as to why the Unicode error
occurs in the second case. Can someone explain?

you forgot to encode what you are going to "print" :)

Brent Lievers

Martin Marcher said:
you forgot to encode what you are going to "print" :)

Thanks. I obviously have a lot to learn about both Python and Unicode ;-)

So does print do this encoding step based on the value of
sys.stdout.encoding? In other words, something like:

sys.stdout.write(textstr.encode(sys.stdout.encoding))

I'm just trying to understand why encode() is needed in the one case but
not the other.

Cheers,

Brent