Print without displaying print dialog (Internet explorer)

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by henning, Dec 18, 2006.

  1. henning

    henning Guest

    Hello, I'm involved in the development of a set of web pages that are
    meant to be used on touch screens.

    We use ordinary HTML, PHP and javascript for the pages. I wold prefer a
    serverside solution, but we also have access to the clients so if it's
    not possible a clientside solution would be acceptable. All clients use
    Internet explorer (version may vary, but probably 6 or 7).

    What I would like to accomplish is a <button> to print the page, but
    without showing the ordinary dialog for printing as this is ill suited
    for a touchscreen.

    Is this possible? If not with javascript feel free to suggest other
    groups I should try to post this to.

    Changing the print dialog somehow or just make it print automagicly
    without displaying it would both be acceptable solutions.

    henning, Dec 18, 2006

  2. henning

    Vince Morgan Guest

    "henning" <> wrote in message
    > Hello, I'm involved in the development of a set of web pages that are
    > meant to be used on touch screens.
    >
    > We use ordinary HTML, PHP and javascript for the pages. I wold prefer a
    > serverside solution, but we also have access to the clients so if it's
    > not possible a clientside solution would be acceptable. All clients use
    > Internet explorer (version may vary, but probably 6 or 7).
    >
    > What I would like to accomplish is a <button> to print the page, but
    > without showing the ordinary dialog for printing as this is ill suited
    > for a touchscreen.
    >
    > Is this possible? If not with javascript feel free to suggest other
    > groups I should try to post this to.
    >
    > Changing the print dialog somehow or just make it print automagicly
    > without displaying it would both be acceptable solutions.

    If you are going to target IE exclusively, and the environment is setup to
    allow it, you could use an activex control.
    From within the control you can use the API to your hearts content. You
    would have almost as much control over the printing method as any Windows
    application can.
    Just a thought,
    Vince Morgan

    Vince Morgan, Dec 18, 2006