Printer Friendly Version?

Les Coover

Where can I get some information about making
a printer friendly version (prints as hardcopy
without URL address--just document) of
a Web page?

Thanks in advance,

Les

David Dorward

Les said:
Where can I get some information about making
a printer friendly version

Look up the media types section of the CSS 2 specification.
(prints as hardcopy without URL address--just document) of
a Web page?

That header isn't part of the document. Author code can't remove it.

Les Coover

Nico Schuyt said:
First CSS. Step by step: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint/
In addition (suppressing headers and footers of the browser):
http://www.codestore.net/store.nsf/unid/EPSD-55TPMN?OpenDocument

Thank you for the information, We already have Acrobat files that users can
print but of course
they have to download Adobe Acrobat. I was trying to find a way where no
install is necessary.
The information you gave me seemed complicated to me (I'm fairly new at this
and need to
keep it simple). If I delete the title of the Web page the following code
will print documents
with the Web page address in the footer and a page number in the header
(that may be enough
for very short forms).

<P><font size="+0" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><a
href="javascript:print()">Print
Page</a></font>

Is there a tag I can put in to make the "Print Page" text visible on screen,
but not on paper?

Les

Toby Inkster

Les said:
Is there a tag I can put in to make the "Print Page" text visible on screen,
but not on paper?

As Nico said -- look into the CSS print media.

Nico Schuyt

Les said:
Is there a tag I can put in to make the "Print Page" text visible on
screen, but not on paper?

Use the code below and see what happens when printed.
Look at http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_examples.asp too.

<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<title>Test</title>
body {margin-left: 10%; color: blue; background: white}
h1 {color: red; background: transparent}
p.special {color: red; font-weight: bold}
p.special {display:none}
</head>
<h1>CSS</h1>