    to fill a sheet of paper?

    Your help would be greatly appreciated!
    , Sep 30, 2006

  2. Scripsit :

    > I've scanned a form that I want to make available to print out and the
    > original size is 8.5 X11 inches. The problem I'm having is that when
    > the link to the form is displayed and sent to the printer, it gets
    > scaled down to about half the size (making it difficult to read).

    Such things may happen. I don't think it has anything to do with HTML.

    > Below is the code I'm using:

    It's clueless ("here" is stupid link text, and JPEG shouldn't be used for
    scanned forms), but that's irrelevant here.

    > Is there anything I can do to force

    No.

    > the display and print to full size
    > to fill a sheet of paper?

    On your computer, maybe. On mine, no.

    When I print an image, it doesn't get scaled to a smaller size than fits the
    paper. If you have a problem with printing images, maybe you should solve
    it.

    BTW, if you wish to make a fill-out form available, and you strongly resist
    the idea of making it an HTML form (and yet post to alt.html), how about PDF
    or MS Word format?

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 30, 2006

    Jukka,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, I know "here" is a stupid
    name for a link but it was just a quick example of the html code I was
    using since the name of the form is irrelavent to the htlml code.

    I'm curious as to why jpg should not be used for a scanned form. What
    would be more efficient (a gif file?)

    The form in question was one that was to be filled out at a meeting.
    Providing a scanned copy for members to print out and send in is just a
    convienience. Unfortunately, the person collecting these forms is not
    comfortable with dealing with html forms (even if we had the extra
    funds to access to the server needed to pull it off.

    Yes, I could take the time to re-invent the entire form so that I could
    have a Word file to post but I'm doing this as a favor so I'm
    interested in the easiest and least time consuming way to accomplish
    the task of making this form available to print.

    Thanks anyway for your effort to help.

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit :
    >
    > > I've scanned a form that I want to make available to print out and the
    > > original size is 8.5 X11 inches. The problem I'm having is that when
    > > the link to the form is displayed and sent to the printer, it gets
    > > scaled down to about half the size (making it difficult to read).

    > Such things may happen. I don't think it has anything to do with HTML.
    >
    > > Below is the code I'm using:

    > It's clueless ("here" is stupid link text, and JPEG shouldn't be used for
    > scanned forms), but that's irrelevant here.
    >
    > > Is there anything I can do to force

    > No.
    >
    > > the display and print to full size
    > > to fill a sheet of paper?

    > On your computer, maybe. On mine, no.
    >
    > When I print an image, it doesn't get scaled to a smaller size than fits the
    > paper. If you have a problem with printing images, maybe you should solve
    > it.
    >
    > BTW, if you wish to make a fill-out form available, and you strongly resist
    > the idea of making it an HTML form (and yet post to alt.html), how about PDF
    > or MS Word format?
    >
    > --
    > Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    , Oct 4, 2006
  4. Scripsit :

    > Jukka,
    > Thanks for taking the time to reply.

    Generally, upside-down fullquoting (quoting the entire message below one's
    own text) is an almost certain symptom of lack of comprehensive reading. I'm
    not sure, therefore, whether further explanations are useful.

    > Yes, I know "here" is a stupid
    > name for a link but it was just a quick example

    That's what they all say. If you write "here" in an example, the odds are
    that your real code contains poor link texts, too. Perhaps even "here",
    which _is_ a _very_ common link text.

    > I'm curious as to why jpg should not be used for a scanned form. What
    > would be more efficient (a gif file?)

    A gif file, of course. The jpg format was designed for phographs. This is so
    common knowledge that everyone who intends to put scanned images on the web
    should know it.

    To return to the printing problem, here's what I replied and you quoted,
    apparently without having read it:

    >> When I print an image, it doesn't get scaled to a smaller size than
    >> fits the paper. If you have a problem with printing images, maybe
    >> you should solve it.

    You _could_ have posted the URL for us the check the actual image, but you
    should primarily check your printer settings. If you open any image in your
    browser (which?) and do Print Preview (and perhaps actually print it), does
    it get scaled the same way as your scanned image?

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 4, 2006