    Does anyone know if it is possible to print envelopes using cgi
    scripts in a web browser? Can the web browser read page breaks?
    Thanks.
    joe, Jul 10, 2008

  2. joe

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Joe Smith schreef:
    > joe wrote:

    >> Can the web browser read page breaks?

    > No, there are no page breaks in HTML.

    See also

    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/1998JulSep/0131.html

    For printing, you can get close with a CSS definition like this:

    HR {
    page-break-after: always;
    }

    So yes, many a web browser can read page breaks.

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."
    Dr.Ruud, Jul 13, 2008

  3. joe

    Bill H Guest

    On Jul 13, 8:49 am, "Dr.Ruud" <> wrote:
    > Joe Smith schreef:
    >
    > > joe wrote:
    > >> Can the web browser read page breaks?

    > > No, there are no page breaks in HTML.

    > See also
    >
    > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/1998JulSep/0131.html
    >
    > For printing, you can get close with a CSS definition like this:
    >
    > HR {
    >     page-break-after: always;
    >
    > }
    >
    > So yes, many a web browser can read page breaks.
    >
    > --
    > Affijn, Ruud
    >
    > "Gewoon is een tijger."

    I've done this before (the page breaks). I usually use the H1 tag and
    a page break before it, that way H1 is the header for the next page.

    Bill H
    Bill H, Jul 13, 2008
  4. joe

    Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:38:28 -0700 (PDT) joe <> wrote:

    j> Does anyone know if it is possible to print envelopes using cgi
    j> scripts in a web browser? Can the web browser read page breaks?

    Sometimes, depending on your printer drivers and other factors, you can
    make a text file with ^L characters and they'll make a new page.

    Otherwise, PDF and/or PostScript are your best bet for consistent
    output. HTML simply has no rigid control of visual output.

    Ted
    Ted Zlatanov, Jul 14, 2008