Printing from ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by IntraRELY, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. IntraRELY

    IntraRELY Guest

    Hello All,

    I am developing a Web Application in VB.NET. We are printing checks from a
    IE 6.0. Here are our requirments:

    1. Checks will be printed on pre-printed stock, so we must format the
    document to lineup correcly.
    2. We need to keep track of which checks printed or didnt print. So we need
    to access the printer directly.
    3. Have the ability to select any local(on the client) printer.
    4. We are printing hundereds of checks, so we cannot display the info in the
    browser and print the page displayed in IE.

    These requirments lead me to think we need to develop a little VB
    application, that the web browser can acces. So here are a few more
    requirments that need to be met.

    1. Communications must be secure. We need to access the Local print
    application from IE in a secure manner. SSL will be used from the IIS server
    to the clients browser and vice versa, but we need to secure communications
    from the brower to the printer. We cannot have anyone printing checks with
    any amount...etc.
    2. If someone prints and do not have the application, IE will download and
    install w/o user intervention. Of couse you will get the security prompt
    from IE to access local resources and the user will elect to "Trust" it.

    To give you a general feel of what we are doing. We will have a "print
    queue" datagrid where a user will simply check the row that has some general
    info. The system will pull any additional data needed and pass that
    information to the printing application locally and then pass the job to the
    printer. Any errors that arise will need to be logged in the web application
    and the user must be notified.

    I am not sure if I am even going down the right path here but looking for
    any input. Any help appreciated.

    TIA,

    Steve Wofford
    IntraRELY, Sep 3, 2003

  2. IntraRELY

    Scott M. Guest

    "IntraRELY" <> wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am developing a Web Application in VB.NET. We are printing checks from a
    > IE 6.0. Here are our requirments:

    That alone sounds scary. My mind is racing with ways to print myself a
    check.

    > 1. Checks will be printed on pre-printed stock, so we must format the
    > document to lineup correcly.

    Adobe .pdf file format would probably be best for this without getting into
    CSS (and then browser capabilities and settings).

    > 2. We need to keep track of which checks printed or didnt print. So we

    need
    > to access the printer directly.
    > 3. Have the ability to select any local(on the client) printer.

    This may be easier in a Windows App then a Web App.

    > 4. We are printing hundereds of checks, so we cannot display the info in

    the
    > browser and print the page displayed in IE.

    You mean the web app will start a local print job and the browser is just
    the catalyst to start that app?

    > These requirments lead me to think we need to develop a little VB
    > application, that the web browser can acces. So here are a few more
    > requirments that need to be met.
    >
    > 1. Communications must be secure. We need to access the Local print
    > application from IE in a secure manner. SSL will be used from the IIS

    server
    > to the clients browser and vice versa, but we need to secure

    communications
    > from the brower to the printer. We cannot have anyone printing checks with
    > any amount...etc.
    > 2. If someone prints and do not have the application, IE will download and
    > install w/o user intervention. Of couse you will get the security prompt
    > from IE to access local resources and the user will elect to "Trust" it.

    If you want the app to be local, then why not make a Windows App?

    > To give you a general feel of what we are doing. We will have a "print
    > queue" datagrid where a user will simply check the row that has some

    general
    > info. The system will pull any additional data needed and pass that
    > information to the printing application locally and then pass the job to

    the
    > printer. Any errors that arise will need to be logged in the web

    application
    > and the user must be notified.
    >
    > I am not sure if I am even going down the right path here but looking for
    > any input. Any help appreciated.

    I'm sure this can be done, but I'm thinking that a Windows app that connects
    to a centralized DB (where all the checks written & to be written are
    stored) would simplify this a lot.

    Scott M., Sep 3, 2003

  3. Hi Steve,

    Luke replied your post in microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb. I am
    pasting his reply for your convenience:

    From your description, you are trying to print from client browser and
    require to access many loca resource. I also agree with others that you
    need a Windows appliaction instead of ASP.NET application. Or you may embed
    an activeX control in your web page, or have a link to an .NET Assembly
    like:

    http://myserver/myfolder/myapp.exe

    Regarding the security issue, i think it depends on the printer driver.
    Your appl will talk to the printer driver installed on the local computer,
    and then printer driver send instructions and data to printer. If the
    computer is installed on network, the security between local computer and
    printer will depneds on the printer driver.

    Hope this helps.

    Best regards,
    Lewis

    | From: "IntraRELY" <>
    | Subject: Printing from ASP.NET
    | Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:07:37 -0700
    | Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security,microsoft.public.dotnet.la
    nguages.vb,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb.data,microsoft.public.mappoi
    nt.webservice

    Lewis Wang [MSFT], Sep 5, 2003