Printing from server with barcode font

Aaron Bronow

I have an asp.net application which loads a Crystal Reports
ReportDocument, passes in parameters for selecting data from the
report's database connection, renders the report for previewing on the
client then allows the user to print the report on a networked printer.

To avoid having to launch an external application on the client I use a
server-side print method. When I call ReportDocument.PrintToPrinter the
report comes out fine but the barcodes are replaced with numbers. I
don't think this is a problem with the report because if I open the
report in Crystal Reports editor application the barcode renders fine
and also prints.

To add to the confusion: if I use ReportDocument.Export to write the
report to the filesystem as a Word document the barcode displays using
the system's barcode font but if I export to a PDF the barcode is once
again replaced by numbers.

Has anyone had experience with Crystal Reports and barcodes?

Bruno Piovan

Hello Aaron,
I don't know much about Crystal Reports, but it seems to be a problem
related with the font used in the barcode (assuming the barcode is generated
using a font).
If it is really the problem, I would suggest you to write some code to
dynamically generates an image file with the barcode and then you put this
image where the barcode is supposed to be, this way you would even generates
the report to the client in a page and let him/her print.

Bruno