Printing Gridview with LOTS of columns

Ralf

I have a custome request to print a gridview with lots of columns, 31
to be exact. I know how to print out a gridview, done it already for
a GV with 6 columns. But, this GV is very wide and will not fit on a
page. I looked into using a repeater, but couldn't figure it out.
Tried datalists, no luck.
Does anybody have an idea of how I can output the data where it will
print. It doesn't have to output into a gridview, I just need it
printable...

Guest

I have a custome request to print a gridview with lots of columns, 31
to be exact.  I know how to print out a gridview, done it already for
a GV with 6 columns.  But, this GV is very wide and will not fit on a
page.  I looked into using a repeater, but couldn't figure it out.
Tried datalists, no luck.
Does anybody have an idea of how I can output the data where it will
print.  It doesn't have to output into a gridview, I just need it
printable...

Ralf, using Repeater with a nested GridView is quite easy. Here's an
example I used to show list of brochures by categories. The result
list looks in the following way:

Category1
.....col1....col2....col3
.....col1....col2....col3
.....col1....col2....col3
Category 2
.....col1....col2....col3
.....col1....col2....col3
.....col1....col2....col3

This is done by using Repeater with a nested GridView:

<asp:Repeater ID="Repeater1" runat="server"
OnItemDataBound="Repeater1_ItemDataBound">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label ID="lblCategoryName" runat="server" Text='<%#
Eval("BrochureCategoryName") %>' />

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" DataKeyNames="BrochureId">
<Columns>
<asp:TemplateField>
<ItemTemplate>

</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateField>
</Columns>
</asp:GridView>

</ItemTemplate>
</asp:Repeater>

A code to populate GridView could be as a following

private void BindData()
{

DataSet ds = (DataSet)db.ExecuteDataSet(string.Format(
@"SELECT * FROM BrochureCategory;
SELECT b.* FROM Brochure b, BrochureCategory c
WHERE b.BrochureCategoryId=c.BrochureCategoryId", _websiteId)
);

// Attach the relationship to the dataSet
ds.Relations.Add(new DataRelation("CategoriesRelation",
ds.Tables[0].Columns["BrochureCategoryId"],
ds.Tables[1].Columns["BrochureCategoryId"]));

Repeater1.DataSource = ds.Tables[0];
Repeater1.DataBind();

}

protected void Repeater1_ItemDataBound(object sender,
RepeaterItemEventArgs e)
{
if (e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType ==
ListItemType.AlternatingItem)
{
DataRowView drv = e.Item.DataItem as DataRowView;

GridView GridView1 = e.Item.FindControl("GridView1") as GridView;
GridView1.DataSource = drv.CreateChildView("CategoriesRelation");
GridView1.DataBind();

When you have many colums you have to find how you could rearrange the
view. Maybe you can follow my example and show one or more "main"
columns as a Repeater data rows and the rest could be nested using a
GridView control.

Category1 Name1 Name2
Description......
.....col1....col2....col3
.....col1....col2....col3
.....col1....col2....col3

or

Category1 Name1 Name2
Description......
.....col1=val1
.....col2=val2
.....col3=val3
.....col4=val4
.....col5=val5

Ralf

Category1 Name1 Name2
Description......
....col1=val1
....col2=val2
....col3=val3
....col4=val4
....col5=val5

This is a possiblity of doing it this way. I would list the row
identifier in at the Top, and then have the col1=val like you have it
to show all the data. It doesn't matter if it runs multiple pages for
each row. I will give this a try, probably tomorrow and post my
results. Thx