Printing On the Server

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Bradley M. Small, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. Hi --

    I have an ASP (not .Net) web application that needs to Print Server Side.

    the pick sheets to some printer in the warehouse.

    This is purely hypothetical application description as the actual
    application is much more convoluted, but basically does this.

    When I am on the server itself, and access it with IE on the same machine it
    works, but when I am remote then it doesn't.

    The printing itself is being done in a VB activex control. It sets a printer
    active by device name, and then uses the Printer object to print a hand
    coded report. The printers themselves are placed into the registry by
    copying the hives containing them to the hkey_users.default.

    Basically this all works when you are physically on the server. Once you go
    to a different machine, it stops working. I assume that it has something to
    do with what happens with the IUSER_<MACHINENAME> or the RUN AS aspect of
    the IIS service.

    Any suggestions would be welcomed.
    Bradley M. Small, Nov 14, 2003

  2. Bradley M. Small

    TomB Guest

    This is a guess. But I think if you set a password for the IUSR account,
    then log in as that user, you can add printers to the profile. I would
    assume that you would then be able to print to it.

    Alternatively, you could tell IIS to run under your profile, by changing the
    anonymous access settngs in ISM.

    I'd bet (a very small bet) that if you look in Event Viewer, you'd see an
    error indicating that your print failed because no printer was installed.

    Hope that helps
    Tom B

    "Bradley M. Small" <> wrote in message
    > Hi --
    >
    > I have an ASP (not .Net) web application that needs to Print Server Side.

    print

    TomB, Nov 14, 2003

  3. "Bradley M. Small" <> wrote in message
    > Hi --
    >
    > I have an ASP (not .Net) web application that needs to Print Server Side.

    print
    > the pick sheets to some printer in the warehouse.
    >
    > This is purely hypothetical application description as the actual
    > application is much more convoluted, but basically does this.
    >
    > When I am on the server itself, and access it with IE on the same machine

    it
    > works, but when I am remote then it doesn't.
    >
    > The printing itself is being done in a VB activex control. It sets a

    printer
    > active by device name, and then uses the Printer object to print a hand
    > coded report. The printers themselves are placed into the registry by
    > copying the hives containing them to the hkey_users.default.
    >
    > Basically this all works when you are physically on the server. Once you

    go
    > to a different machine, it stops working. I assume that it has something

    > do with what happens with the IUSER_<MACHINENAME> or the RUN AS aspect of
    > the IIS service.

    Is this your problem?
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=184291

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Nov 14, 2003
  4. More information:

    The problem seems to be that if the printer is local to the server it will
    work, but if it is a networked printer, then it will not. Is there some
    issue with local system account and network resources?
    Bradley M. Small, Nov 14, 2003
  5. Tom --

    I have already used that to get the system working. That will work as long
    as I am sitting at the server using the IE that is on the same machine. If I
    go over to the next machine and connect, then it will not print.

    -- A

    "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > "Bradley M. Small" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi --
    > >
    > > I have an ASP (not .Net) web application that needs to Print Server

    Side.

    > print
    > > the pick sheets to some printer in the warehouse.
    > >
    > > This is purely hypothetical application description as the actual
    > > application is much more convoluted, but basically does this.
    > >
    > > When I am on the server itself, and access it with IE on the same

    machine
    > it
    > > works, but when I am remote then it doesn't.
    > >
    > > The printing itself is being done in a VB activex control. It sets a

    > printer
    > > active by device name, and then uses the Printer object to print a hand
    > > coded report. The printers themselves are placed into the registry by
    > > copying the hives containing them to the hkey_users.default.
    > >
    > > Basically this all works when you are physically on the server. Once you

    > go
    > > to a different machine, it stops working. I assume that it has something

    > > do with what happens with the IUSER_<MACHINENAME> or the RUN AS aspect

    of
    > > the IIS service.

    > Is this your problem?
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=184291
    >
    > --
    > Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    > http://www.iistoolshed.com/ - tools, scripts, and utilities for running

    IIS

    Bradley M. Small, Nov 14, 2003
  6. Bradley M. Small

    TomB Guest

    Are you saying, that it will print to a local printer from a remote machine?

    If so, then there are two possible solutions.
    1) Run IIS under a domain account that has permission to print to the
    printer
    2) Print directly to the printers ip address (assuming it has one) by
    setting it up as a local printer connected to a standard TCP/IP port.

    TomB, Nov 14, 2003