Printing to a local printer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Daniel Fisher, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. Hi there,

    Our client has a requirement to print labels from the web site to a local
    printer. i.e. user logs onto web site and click a print button and the
    address is printed to a label printer connected to the user's computer.

    After much searching I think I've come to the conclusion that these are
    the
    only possible ways of doing this:

    1. Javascript Window.print()
    2. Using mail merge with MS Word which opens Word and printing from there.
    3. Using Crystal Reports to generate a .PDF and printing from there.
    4. Using an ActiveX control (?)

    Since the user is using a dedicated label printer, #1 won't work. Using
    Crystal Reports may not be possible due to licensing issues (looking into
    it
    now) plus it seems like overkill for a simple little label. I don't know
    anything about using ActiveX controls so it looks like #2 is the only
    feasable option since we will be using it for printing generated
    documents.

    I am currently looking at sharing the label printer but my first attempts
    were unsuccessful.

    Can anyone confirm that these are the only options to printing to a local
    printer from a browser?

    Thanks,

    Carlo.

    Daniel Fisher, Jan 7, 2006