printing web page containing uncommon font

ynoteh

I know that a web page will not look as intended if the visitor does
not have the specified font installed on their computer..
But what about printing the web page? If the same visitor tries to
print that page and does not have the font installed, will they get
the intended font, or a substitute on their printout? I think a
substitution?... I'm trying to grasp what the printer sees, but having
a mental block!

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit ynoteh:
I know that a web page will not look as intended if the visitor does
not have the specified font installed on their computer..
But what about printing the web page?

The situation is mostly the same. In rare cases, the system might lack a
named font as a printer font but have it as a screen font, or vice
versa.
If the same visitor tries to
print that page and does not have the font installed, will they get
the intended font, or a substitute on their printout?

Of course he does not get the intended font. He might get a substitute
font selected by the browser (e.g., specifying "Times" might result in
"Times New Roman" being used, if "Times" does not exist), but more
often, the browser's default font will be used.

You might affect this by using a print style sheet, e.g.

@media print { body { font-family: Cambria, sans-serif; } }

Jonathan N. Little

ynoteh said:
I know that a web page will not look as intended if the visitor does
not have the specified font installed on their computer..
But what about printing the web page? If the same visitor tries to
print that page and does not have the font installed, will they get
the intended font, or a substitute on their printout? I think a
substitution?... I'm trying to grasp what the printer sees, but having
a mental block!

Viewing or printing, same thing. if the user does have the font, it will
not print. The font is not *embedded* in an HTML document. Look at it
this way and HTML document is like script for a play, it test what the
actors say and do, but not who the actors are. So on Broadway Lang and
Broderick may stared. If the play is in your hometown, the play will be
the same, but the actors will most likely not be Lang and Broderick but
who is available. Same as your font in a HTML document. Unlike in media
where fonts are embedded like PDFs, to complete the analogy, like a copy
of a movie. If you have a copy of the '68 movie then wherever you play
it the actors are always Mostel and Wilder.

mrcakey

Jonathan N. Little said:
Viewing or printing, same thing. if the user does have the font, it will
not print. The font is not *embedded* in an HTML document. Look at it this
way and HTML document is like script for a play, it test what the actors
say and do, but not who the actors are. So on Broadway Lang and Broderick
may stared. If the play is in your hometown, the play will be the same,
but the actors will most likely not be Lang and Broderick but who is
available. Same as your font in a HTML document. Unlike in media where
fonts are embedded like PDFs, to complete the analogy, like a copy of a
movie. If you have a copy of the '68 movie then wherever you play it the
actors are always Mostel and Wilder.

Cool analogy!!!

I was analogising to my friend for whom I'm building a site. I had (X)HTML
as the building, CSS as the decor and JavaScript as the light switches. Was
quietly chuffed with myself!

+mrcakey

Harlan Messinger

Jonathan said:
Viewing or printing, same thing. if the user does have the font, it will
not print. The font is not *embedded* in an HTML document. Look at it
this way and HTML document is like script for a play, it test what the
actors say and do, but not who the actors are. So on Broadway Lang
Lane.

and
Broderick may stared. If the play is in your hometown, the play will be
the same, but the actors will most likely not be Lang and Broderick but
who is available.

It already wasn't Lane and Broderick by the time I got to the show on
Broadway. It was Steven Weber and some English guy, and the English guy
was terrible and Weber not so hot, and they were removed from the roles
within weeks.
Same as your font in a HTML document. Unlike in media
where fonts are embedded like PDFs, to complete the analogy, like a copy
of a movie. If you have a copy of the '68 movie then wherever you play
it the actors are always Mostel and Wilder.

But if you have a copy of the 2005 version of the movie then it's Lane
and Broderick again.

A better analogy might have been a script for Robin Hood where Robin's
lines are annotated, "Spoken in an English accent", which means that
actors who have an English accent installed will speak their parts in an
English accent, while Kevin Costner, who evidently doesn't have an
English accent installed, will speak American all through the film.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Harlan said:
..while Kevin Costner, who evidently doesn't have an English accent
installed, will speak American all through the film.

Kevin Costner always just plays himself.

I laughed all through the Robin Hood movie, every time he spoke. Not
only American, but 20th century American slang.

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard said:
Kevin Costner always just plays himself.

I laughed all through the Robin Hood movie, every time he spoke. Not
only American, but 20th century American slang.
The only movie Costner was any good in was "The War", and mostly because
his part was small!

And I have no idea how Lane became Lang? I meant Nathan not Jessica.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
The only movie Costner was any good in was "The War", and mostly because
his part was small!

Perhaps, but I liked his schmalzy Elliot Ness and Dancing with
Wolves. I don't know why.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:43:54
GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:
The only movie Costner was any good in was "The War", and mostly
because his part was small!

I partially agree but liked him in "Open Range". Also thought he was
adequate in "Dances _With_ Wolves" although the excellence of the movie
may have had something to do with it.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
Can't imagine!

I liked when he said to a young officer in a car, while they were
waiting to make a bust, are you married, and when the yes came
back he said, "It is nice being married". And in Wolves, I liked
his early reading of his diary. With most films there is nothing
at all I like about them, not a thing.