    side script? Any other suggestions on how to handle this?

    Thanks,
    Rebecca
    Rebecca, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Rebecca

    Ray at Guest

    "Rebecca" <> wrote in message
    news:0bd701c39334$fa18d620$...
    > I have an asp application that needs to print to a
    > specific network printer. I am currently making it work
    > by using the FSO and setting the path to the printer
    > port, then writing out a string. The problem with that
    > is that all the formatting I can do is with line feeds
    > and tabs. Ideally, I'd like to pop open an html page on
    > the client machine, print it, then close it. Is there
    > any way to simulate calling window.print without pulling
    > up the printer dialog box?

    NO. This would be abused if it were possible.

    Either in asp or in client
    > side script?

    > Any other suggestions on how to handle this?

    The best thing is to have your users print the page. Trying to print to a
    printer over the lan from ASP is a bit more complicated than just telling a
    user to print something.

    Ray at work
    Ray at, Oct 15, 2003

  3. Rebecca

    Guest Guest

    >> Any other suggestions on how to handle this?
    >
    >The best thing is to have your users print the page.

    Trying to print to a
    >printer over the lan from ASP is a bit more complicated

    than just telling a
    >user to print something.

    Thanks for the response. I wish that were an option, but
    there are so many users of this application that we can't
    rely on them to print the document. Plus that would
    cause added work and confusion for them. This
    application sends orders to a central store room for
    everything from contract labor to chemicals. The
    storeroom wishes to receive these orders on a printer. I
    have tried and tried and tried to talk them into
    receiving the orders in a group mailbox, but they will
    have nothing to do with that. They have the "we've
    always done it this way, why should we change"
    mentality. It doesn't help that our SAP applications can
    print across the network with no problem!
    Guest, Oct 15, 2003
  4. Rebecca

    Dan Brussee Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:26:14 -0700,
    <> wrote:

    >>> Any other suggestions on how to handle this?

    >>The best thing is to have your users print the page.

    >Trying to print to a
    >>printer over the lan from ASP is a bit more complicated

    >than just telling a
    >>user to print something.

    >Thanks for the response. I wish that were an option, but
    >there are so many users of this application that we can't
    >rely on them to print the document. Plus that would
    >cause added work and confusion for them. This
    >application sends orders to a central store room for
    >everything from contract labor to chemicals. The
    >storeroom wishes to receive these orders on a printer. I
    >have tried and tried and tried to talk them into
    >receiving the orders in a group mailbox, but they will
    >have nothing to do with that. They have the "we've
    >always done it this way, why should we change"
    >mentality. It doesn't help that our SAP applications can
    >print across the network with no problem!

    What about having the ASP server do the printing and just "confirm"
    the print request by the user?
    Dan Brussee, Oct 15, 2003
  5. <> wrote in message
    > >> Any other suggestions on how to handle this?

    > >The best thing is to have your users print the page.

    > Trying to print to a
    > >printer over the lan from ASP is a bit more complicated

    > than just telling a
    > >user to print something.

    > Thanks for the response. I wish that were an option, but
    > there are so many users of this application that we can't
    > rely on them to print the document. Plus that would
    > cause added work and confusion for them.

    You need a solution that is more advanced than copying a stream to the FSO -
    the only way I can see anything even remotely like this working is if by
    good fortune you have PostScript printers in all the locations you are doing
    this to, in which theoretically you could send PostScript commands to the
    printer in question as the string, and produce a formatted document that
    way.

    Failing that, you probably need a solution with a rendering engine and a
    network spooler - like ActivePDF Spooler and ActivePDF Server
    (http://www.activepdf.com/)

    R.
    Richard K Bethell, Oct 15, 2003
  6. Rebecca

    Rebecca Guest

    >What about having the ASP server do the printing and

    just "confirm"
    >the print request by the user?

    The requirement is that the printout needs to be sent
    without any interaction from the user. In addition to
    that, something I forgot to mention in my previous post,
    some orders have to be approved before they print to the
    storeroom. In that case they do not need to print at the
    time that the user submits the order.
    Rebecca, Oct 15, 2003
  7. Rebecca

    Guest Guest

    I like the idea of sending PostScript commands to the
    printer. There are only two printers that receive orders
    and they are both new top of the line HPs, so I'm
    thinking they could handle that. Where can I find out
    more about the PS commands?

    Guest, Oct 15, 2003
  8. Rebecca

    Guest Guest

    >strewth - I never thought I'd see that again.

    Hey, whatever works!!

    >you need the red book and the blue book, one is a

    language ref, the other a
    >cook-book of samples/examples. maybe amazon - I'm

    guessing. I got mine a
    >long, long time ago.

    Do you know of any online references. I found a language
    reference, but I can't seem to find anything to tell me
    know to make the printer execute the script instead of
    just printing it.
    Guest, Oct 15, 2003
  9. Take a look at Meadroid.com. The advanced (read: not free) version of their
    control ScriptX may just do what you're after. We use the free version to
    control margins, headers, footers, etc...the advanced version lets you queue
    to known printers, and has a "silent" mode.

    Regards,

    --
    William Morris
    Product Development, Seritas LLC