    I discover 2 types of hosts: private java (JVM) host and private Tomcat host (more expensive).

    I am not too sure what is the difference. Can someone explain a little ?

    Thanks (sorry if this question is childish).

    sb5309, Oct 28, 2012

  2. On 28/10/2012 03:37, sb5309 allegedly wrote:
    > I am looking for a java web host so that I can write java programs that listens to a certain port.
    >
    > I discover 2 types of hosts: private java (JVM) host and private Tomcat host (more expensive).
    >
    > I am not too sure what is the difference. Can someone explain a little ?

    Firstly, mind that the word "private" makes no sense in this
    combination, and that Tomcat sits atop a JVM.

    In a nutshell, Tomcat is a /Servlet Engine/, providing you with a
    framework to perform web-related operations. It is but one of a couple
    similar frameworks, cf. for instance <http://www.servlets.com/engines/>.

    If you are planning to do web/HTTP related operations, and especially if
    your server is going to perform more than one very limited function, I
    would recommend that you use a Servlet Engine, because it's going to
    make your life much easier (and is valuable knowledge).

    If you plan just on having a poor socket listening for one low-level
    network operation -- say, Java RMI --, going with just the JVM /might/
    be more economical.

    --
    DF.

    Daniele Futtorovic, Oct 28, 2012

  3. sb5309

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 10/27/2012 10:37 PM, sb5309 wrote:
    > I am looking for a java web host so that I can write java programs that listens to a certain port.
    >
    > I discover 2 types of hosts: private java (JVM) host and private Tomcat host (more expensive).
    >
    > I am not too sure what is the difference. Can someone explain a little ?
    >
    > Thanks (sorry if this question is childish).

    You might be asking about the type of environments and services
    an "Internet hosting service" provides, hard to tell.

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_hosting_service>
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_hosting_service>

    Jeff Higgins, Oct 28, 2012