Prob. adding a web reference

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Bob S., Aug 29, 2004.

  1. Bob S.

    Bob S. Guest

    I have started going through the Visual Studio "walkthroughs" book and after
    a number of attempts to get it to work, I keep getting stuck at the same
    point.

    I am running Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 1)
    Visual Studio 2003 EA (C#)
    IIS 5.1
    SQL Server Desktop Engine

    Brief description:

    1) I have created a web service which has two methods. One queries the pubs
    database, and the second does updates.

    2) A Windows client will call the two methods in the web service to retrieve
    records and update records.

    In Solution Explorer, after building the web service successfully, I add a
    new project to the solution for the Windows client. At this point, my web
    service project disappears from Solution Explorer. I continue through the
    steps for the Windows client. I right-click on the project name in Solution
    Explorer and select Add Web Reference. I choose "browse the local host".
    After the browsing stops, I get the following error message:

    // Error Message

    There was an error downloading
    'http://localhost/Authors22WebService/Authors22WebService.asmx'.

    The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a
    receive.

    // End Error Message

    Thanks,
    Bob S.

    --
    Thanks,
    Bob S.
    Bob S., Aug 29, 2004

  2. Bob S.

    Govind Guest

    RE: Prob. adding a web reference (Additional Info)

    May be the problem with IIS Also. Check a asp.NET pages are running . if not
    running install the asp.net using
    C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe . Still is not
    working you may need to reinstall the IIS and rerun the aspnet_regiis again.
    This file will be present in the installed version folder.

    Regards,
    Govind.

    Govind, Aug 31, 2004