Prob: CreateObject fails after XP SP2

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Tim, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Hi

    A custom ASP web application that i have developed has stopped working
    after the install of WinXP SP2.

    The application breaks on:

    Set oMaint = Server.CreateObject("efilingMaintenance.clsMaintenance")

    with error message:

    The VB Application identified by the event source logged this
    Application Maintenance: Thread ID: 4944 ,Logged: MsgBox: , Run-time
    error '-2147467259 (80004005)':

    Cannot generate SSPI context

    i have had a good hunt around, but cant find anything usefull

    I cant see what SSPI has to do with anything as the object doesnt even
    get instantiated, let alone contact the database!

    any ideas
    Tim, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Re: CreateObject fails after XP SP2

    80004005 is usually a permissions error. So, there is likely a location
    that this custom COM object is trying to access that has been locked down by
    SP2. You'll need to figure out what the application does in order to find
    out which folder(s) cause the problem.

    Hey, it could be worse. The last time I installed XP SP2, I lost an entire
    hard disk.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Oct 5, 2004

  3. Re: CreateObject fails after XP SP2

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:11:37 -0400, "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]"
    <> wrote:
    in <#$>

    >Hey, it could be worse. The last time I installed XP SP2, I lost an entire
    >hard disk.

    Is that a veiled warning? Can you provide a little more detail?

    ---
    Stefan Berglund
    Stefan Berglund, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Re: CreateObject fails after XP SP2

    > Is that a veiled warning? Can you provide a little more detail?

    Not really, never solved the issue, still trying to recover data from the
    disk. Unlikely to be caused directly by SP2, but it certainly was a
    catalyst (blue screen / stop on next boot), and I wasn't the only one
    affected by this same symptom after installing SP2.

    Haven't installed XP again, either. The only reason I was running it was
    for a BlueTooth mouse and an HP all-in-one. Moved the bluetooth device over
    to my new mac, and fooled the stupid HP setup program into believing that
    Windows Server 2003 was actually Windows XP.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Oct 5, 2004
  5. Re: CreateObject fails after XP SP2

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:57:58 -0400, "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]"
    <> wrote:
    in <#>

    >> Is that a veiled warning? Can you provide a little more detail?

    >Not really, never solved the issue, still trying to recover data from the
    >disk. Unlikely to be caused directly by SP2, but it certainly was a
    >catalyst (blue screen / stop on next boot), and I wasn't the only one
    >affected by this same symptom after installing SP2.
    >
    >Haven't installed XP again, either. The only reason I was running it was
    >for a BlueTooth mouse and an HP all-in-one. Moved the bluetooth device over
    >to my new mac, and fooled the stupid HP setup program into believing that
    >Windows Server 2003 was actually Windows XP.

    Thanks for the heads up. I'll certainly be much more wary now.
    And to think I've actually been considering/testing XP Pro as a
    replacement for W2K on my dev box.

    I was able to install SP2 on an XP Home test box and get all my
    software to run figuring that it won't be long before one of my
    clients installs it or turns up with a new laptop with SP2
    installed. But, I'll recommend that my clients turn off the ICF
    etc. I prefer relying on a potpourri of Kerio Personal Firewall,
    AVG anti virus, and both Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy.
    All of which I might add, work seamlessly in and around both MSDE
    and SS2K both on client and server.

    ---
    Stefan Berglund
    Stefan Berglund, Oct 5, 2004
  6. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Re: CreateObject fails after XP SP2

    Hi

    Thanks for the quick reply.

    The ap in question is huge, and does many, many things - but accessing
    folders is something that it does rarely, and all the user accounts
    that have to access folders are added already. The ap fails when it
    tries to instantiate any com component, regardless of what they do.

    i have noticed that sp2 has changed the com launch/access security
    model, so i thought it must be that. i have added all relevent
    accounts to both. and then out of desperation added pretty much every
    other one, and it doesnt make a difference?

    Tim, Oct 6, 2004
  7. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Re: CreateObject fails after XP SP2

    Hi All

    Thought i should post what i have found out.

    The problem, im 99% sure is caused by changes to tcp/ip, and the fact
    that i installed, rolled back, and installed again. not sure how, but
    many tcp/ip related functions became corrupted:

    when pinging a server on the network, the string displaying the return
    statistics is garbled (contains strange caracters). network user
    accounts are no longer accessible, and other network problmes. it
    seems that the rollback process does not remove everything that it
    should. so be carefull.

    i have tried in vain to reinstall networking components, and have
    tried many other things.

    im going to install server2003 instead!

    Tim, Oct 6, 2004
  8. Re: CreateObject fails after XP SP2

    > im going to install server2003 instead!

    That's what I did. Enough desktop operating system crap for me...
    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Oct 6, 2004