Problem accessing Images on another machine

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by RichardF, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. RichardF

    RichardF Guest

    I have 4 machines...

    1 - Domain Controller
    2 - SQL Server
    3 - IIS Server
    4 - Image File Server (IFS)

    I created a new account on the domain controller for use by the web
    service.

    My web service and web site run on the IIS machine. The web service
    needs to access the SQL Server to get data and it also needs to access
    the IFS to get images to display.

    The access to the SQL Server is working OK. I gave the appropriate
    SQL permissions to the domain user account.

    If the images are located locally on the IIS machine, everything works
    just fine. However, I cannot access the images when they are on the
    image file server.

    On the IIS Server I have done the following...

    - created an app pool
    - set the app pool to use the domain user account
    - set my web service and web site to be in the app pool

    The folder containing the images on the image file server is shared.
    The only permission is read + browse permission given to the domain
    user account I created.

    I have tried accessing the image folder by...

    - using a UNC path (\\TestImages\Images)
    - mapping a drive to the shared folder (using the domain user
    account I created)
    - creating a virtual directory to the share
    - creating a virtual directory to the mapped drive

    Nothing seems to work.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks for any help.

    RichardF

    RichardF, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Hello RichardF,

    log on interactively using the service account you created. Can you access
    the files?
    Or enable auditing for logon events on the Fileserver - maybe this gives
    you some hints

    Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Jun 11, 2005