Problem building jdk 1.3 from source for Windows

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ulas Ergin, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. Ulas Ergin

    Ulas Ergin Guest

    Hi all,
    I have downloaded the source for jdk 1.3 from Sun's site.During
    compilation in Visual C++ 6.0 SP 6 I am facing a trouble.

    Some of tje source files (to name one
    \src\share\javavm\include\javastring.h) includes java_lang_String.h.

    But the source does not contain any java_lang_String.h.
    On the other hand java_lang_String.h comes with standard jdk
    distribution in the include-old folder with contains deprecated JNI
    headers.

    What is the problem here? Why does the jdk source reference
    java_lang_String.h but it does not include it?

    any help is appreciated,
    thx

    Ulas Ergin, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Ulas Ergin wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I have downloaded the source for jdk 1.3 from Sun's site.During
    > compilation in Visual C++ 6.0 SP 6 I am facing a trouble.
    >
    > Some of tje source files (to name one
    > \src\share\javavm\include\javastring.h) includes java_lang_String.h.
    >
    > But the source does not contain any java_lang_String.h.
    > On the other hand java_lang_String.h comes with standard jdk
    > distribution in the include-old folder with contains deprecated JNI
    > headers.
    >
    > What is the problem here? Why does the jdk source reference
    > java_lang_String.h but it does not include it?

    Don't know the details about JNI, but perhaps *you* have to generate
    these h-files from the class-files. For example:
    javah java.lang.String
    or
    javah -jni java.lang.String

    (just a guess...)

    --
    "Thomas:Fritsch$ops:de".replace(':','.').replace('$','@')

    Thomas Fritsch, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Ulas Ergin

    Ann Guest

    "Ulas Ergin" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I have downloaded the source for jdk 1.3 from Sun's site.During
    > compilation in Visual C++ 6.0 SP 6 I am facing a trouble.
    >
    > Some of tje source files (to name one
    > \src\share\javavm\include\javastring.h) includes java_lang_String.h.
    >
    > But the source does not contain any java_lang_String.h.
    > On the other hand java_lang_String.h comes with standard jdk
    > distribution in the include-old folder with contains deprecated JNI
    > headers.
    >
    > What is the problem here? Why does the jdk source reference
    > java_lang_String.h but it does not include it?
    >
    > any help is appreciated,
    > thx

    My view of compiling stuff for windows when a binary is available:
    Are you nuts?

    Ann, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Ulas Ergin

    Ulas Ergin Guest

    "Ann" <> wrote in message news:<cE5kd.77198$R05.22305@attbi_s53>...

    > My view of compiling stuff for windows when a binary is available:
    > Are you nuts?

    I completely agree with you Ann but unfortunately I have to.

    Ulas Ergin, Nov 10, 2004
  5. Ulas Ergin

    Ulas Ergin Guest

    Thomas Fritsch <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Don't know the details about JNI, but perhaps *you* have to generate
    > these h-files from the class-files. For example:
    > javah java.lang.String
    > or
    > javah -jni java.lang.String
    >
    > (just a guess...)

    Thank you Thomas,it is worth a try.

    Ulas Ergin, Nov 10, 2004
  6. Ulas Ergin

    Ann Guest

    "Ulas Ergin" <> wrote in message
    > "Ann" <> wrote in message

    > > My view of compiling stuff for windows when a binary is available:
    > > Are you nuts?

    > I completely agree with you Ann but unfortunately I have to.

    Well, good luck with it then.

    Ann, Nov 10, 2004
  7. Ulas Ergin

    Ulas Ergin Guest

    Hi all,
    I generated java_lang_String.h from java.lang.String.class via
    javah.Now I have another problem.
    interpreter.h defines a struct as

    /* from exception.c */
    struct Hjava_lang_Throwable;

    but neither exception.c (or exception.h) not definition of struct
    Hjava_lang_Throwable exists anywhere

    anyhelp is appreciated

    Ulas Ergin, Nov 11, 2004