    with --disable-shared and --disable-load but this doesn't help.

    Anyone seen anything like this or know how to get around it?

    Jeff

    Dr. Who, Sep 2, 2005

  2. Dr. Who

    Trent Mick Guest

    [Dr. Who wrote]
    > I'm trying to build Python 2.4.1 on HP-UX 11.00 with full tcl/tk IDLE
    > support. So far, I haven't had any luck. I always wind up getting
    > errors of the form:
    >
    > ld: DP relative code in file
    > /ptg/devtools/hppa1.1/pre/lib/libtk8.4.a(tkWindow.o) - shared library
    > must be position independent. Use +z or +Z to recompile.
    >
    > I have tried building tcl/tk without any configure options as well as
    > with --disable-shared and --disable-load but this doesn't help.
    >
    > Anyone seen anything like this or know how to get around it?

    For Python on HP-UX I build Tcl/Tk with --enable-shared. I don't *think*
    I had to do much else special -- other than tweaking Python's setup.py
    detect_tkinter() code to find where I had built and "installed" my
    Tcl/Tk libs.

    Cheers,
    Trent

    p.s. Note that we now have free ActivePython binary installers for
    HP-UX at ActiveState.
    http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/

    --
    Trent Mick

    Trent Mick, Sep 2, 2005

  3. Dr. Who

    sponix2ipfw Guest

    I don't know much about HP-UX, and I'm sure someone will shoot me down
    for saying this, but all *nix is about the same to me.

    I'd just try a ./configure --prefix=/opt/tcl_tk
    on both the TCL and TK installs, and then just drop the ./configure
    params in there to use /opt/tcl_tk/ as the prefix to them

    Sure, that might give you a double set of tcl & tk, but if your fs is a
    mess it might make linking to them easier in the future *Grin*

    Hope this helps, if you have any questions hit me back, all I have is a
    Linux box on hand, but I'm more than happy to simulate your setup as
    much as possible...

    sponix2ipfw, Sep 2, 2005