Problem building Python on HP-UX

Dr. Who

I'm trying to build Python 2.4.1 on HP-UX 11.00 with full tcl/tk IDLE
support. So far, I haven't had any luck. I always wind up getting
errors of the form:

ld: DP relative code in file
/ptg/devtools/hppa1.1/pre/lib/libtk8.4.a(tkWindow.o) - shared library
must be position independent. Use +z or +Z to recompile.

I have tried building tcl/tk without any configure options as well as
with --disable-shared and --disable-load but this doesn't help.

Anyone seen anything like this or know how to get around it?

Jeff

Trent Mick

[Dr. Who wrote]
I'm trying to build Python 2.4.1 on HP-UX 11.00 with full tcl/tk IDLE
support. So far, I haven't had any luck. I always wind up getting
errors of the form:

ld: DP relative code in file
/ptg/devtools/hppa1.1/pre/lib/libtk8.4.a(tkWindow.o) - shared library
must be position independent. Use +z or +Z to recompile.

I have tried building tcl/tk without any configure options as well as
with --disable-shared and --disable-load but this doesn't help.

Anyone seen anything like this or know how to get around it?

For Python on HP-UX I build Tcl/Tk with --enable-shared. I don't *think*
I had to do much else special -- other than tweaking Python's setup.py
detect_tkinter() code to find where I had built and "installed" my
Tcl/Tk libs.

Cheers,
Trent

p.s. Note that we now have free ActivePython binary installers for
HP-UX at ActiveState.
http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/

sponix2ipfw

I don't know much about HP-UX, and I'm sure someone will shoot me down
for saying this, but all *nix is about the same to me.

I'd just try a ./configure --prefix=/opt/tcl_tk
on both the TCL and TK installs, and then just drop the ./configure
params in there to use /opt/tcl_tk/ as the prefix to them

Sure, that might give you a double set of tcl & tk, but if your fs is a
mess it might make linking to them easier in the future *Grin*

Hope this helps, if you have any questions hit me back, all I have is a
Linux box on hand, but I'm more than happy to simulate your setup as
much as possible...